7.25.2008

Chapter 3

Nathalie decided to change the subject off of Karen and Rick to something a little more happier.

"So Karen, what are you doing now?"

"I am actually working doing inventory for a retail store in Wheeling, Cabela's. It's a store that mainly deals with the outdoors....hunting, fishing, camping. I help keep the inventory straight."

"Do you hunt or fish?" Sidney asked.

"No, nothing like that. But we do sell clothing and I have a background with selling clothes. I worked in the clothing department for 2 years and then went to the inventory side of it 2 years ago."

"So you've been with them for 4 years then?"

"Yeah, since they opened in 2004."

"Are you living down in Wheeling?"

"During the week days. I work a straight Monday through Friday week and always have the weekends off. So I stay up here in my parent's house on the weekends and whenever I am up here for the home games."

"Do you go to a lot of the home games?" Sidney asked

"Do you always unknowingly play 20 questions with people you don't know?" Karen asked back with a smile.

"One answer just opens up for another question. So, do you go to a lot of home games?"

"I have season tickets so unless I want to waste a lot of money, I still come up for every home game. Anything else?"

"Not right now, but I reserve to ask more later."

"Fair enough."

"So, I haven't seen your mom or dad around the neighborhood lately. How are they doing?" Mario asked

Karen's breathing stopped for a brief second realizing they must not have known.

"You guys never heard what happened to them?" Karen saw the blank expression on everyone's face and took a deep breath before continuing. "Mom and dad died during the September 11th attacks."

Nat got up and hugged her friend as Mario took her hand in his. "We are so sorry to hear that. Where were they? How did they..." Nat couldn't seem to finish the sentence when she saw Karen's eyes start to tear up.

"They were on one of the flights leaving Boston and heading to Los Angeles to visit some friends. You know how dad always boasted about travelling around eastern Canada and how they went like every year since 1994?"

"Yeah, he would take the same pictures every year."

Karen smiled at the thought of her dad always dragging out the photo album to anyone that asked about the trip. "They were visiting friends in Boston and the four of them went in late summer of 2001. They stayed until after Labor Day and then they headed back to Boston for a few days. On the 11th, they had the early flight out since they were going coast to coast. I never got to talk to them before they were to leave Boston and when I woke up on that Tuesday morning, I guess the first plane had hit Tower 1. I, like many others, was glued to my tv that day and watched as the second plane flew into Tower 2. When the reports came out and they identified where the planes originated from I went hysterical trying to find the flight info mom had left for me. When I put their info against the info from the tv, I realized that I had literally watched my parents die that day." Karen said as tears began to roll down her cheeks. She wiped them away and continued on. "I called the airline's customer service and waited and waited until someone could confirm that they were indeed on the flight. I didn't know what to do after that."

"We are so sorry to hear that happened."

"I'm sorry too Karen." Sidney offered his condolences as well.

"Thanks, I do appreciate it. I am getting better when people ask and they didn't know. Before I would have been hysterical to the point I would be throwing things. I guess a few tears flowing and staying calm is a big step 6 years later."

"Do you go to New York during the anniversary?"

Karen shook her head, "no, I can't. Not on the actual day. I did go up a year later to grieve but it was nowhere near September. I still can't believe they're gone." She looked up and saw the three of them staring at her with sympathy. Karen wiped her eyes, "um is there a bathroom near by so I can freshen up a little?"

"Sure, I'll show you." Nathalie lead Karen to the downstairs bathroom "take all the time you need."

"Thanks Nat."

Karen hugged her and then went into the bathroom, locking the door behind her. She sat down on the floor with her back up against the shower door and silently cried. Karen had gotten to the point to where whenever she thought of her parents she thought of the happy times and had stopped crying. But Mario had become such good friends with her dad that the emotions just poured out. After a few minutes, Karen got up and looked at herself in the mirror. She freshened her makeup and smiled knowing she carried her spare makeup for times like this. When she was satisfied with her look, she headed back out to the dining room.

When she got there, Karen noticed the kids had joined Mario and Sidney at the table and were eating ice cream. Nathalie was walking up behind Karen when Lauren spoke.

"Can I have some more ice cream daddy?"

Karen opened her mouth before Mario could speak. "Are you sure ALL your homework is done to deserve that second bowl of ice cream?"

Lauren turned to the person who said that and saw Karen standing in the doorway. She jumped up from her chair and ran to Karen who scooped her up in a big hug.

"KIKI! What are you doing here?" Karen set her down and kneeled to her level.

"I ran into your dad today and he invited me for dinner."

"You mean you've been in this house all night and I am just now seeing you?"

"Well when you came home from getting pizza and movies, you ran right past me and didn't even see me."

"Oh, sorry. But I see you now. How long are you staying?"

"Actually, I need to get going. I have plans to meet some friends at 10pm."

Sidney's head shot up at her comment and really didn't want her to go just yet.

"Will you come back to see me?"

"I promise I will. Tell you what, I am up here every weekend staying at mom and dad's house down the street. Anytime you want to see me, have your mom or dad call me and I will run up to see you. Deal?"

"Deal" Lauren said hugging her. "I missed you Kiki."

"I missed you too baby girl" letting her go. "Why don't you go eat some ice cream for me?"

"Ok."

"Thanks again for dinner Nathalie" hugging her again.

"Anytime you need anything, and I mean anything, stop over or call me. Ok?"

"I will. It was nice seeing you again Sidney."

"You too Karen."

Mario got up to walk Karen to the door as Nathalie stayed with the kids.

"I'm sorry for being so harsh talking about Rick. I guess just hearing his side I figured...."

"I know. You were just trying to help a friend. I do miss him Mario, a lot. Maybe you're right and we should sit and talk everything out. I just don't know when it could ever happen."

"Maybe one day next season."

"Maybe. Thanks again for dinner, I truly enjoyed being around you guys like that. It had been too long."

"Well, during the off season we can plan to do this every weekend."

"I'd love it and if you ever need another babysitter on those weekends, please call me."

"I will" Mario said hugging her. "Have fun and I will see you later."

"Will do. Night."

Karen walked to her car and was about to unlock the door when someone stopped her.

"Where are you going?" Sidney asked and Karen turned around to see him standing there smiling.

"I was going to meet my friends and their boyfriends at a bar on the Southside."

"Are these the same friends from today?"

"Yes" Karen went against her better judgement "Would you like to go hang out with us?"

"You wouldn't mind if I came along?"

"Actually I would love it if you did. I still don't feel like being the 9th wheel or being subjected to the guys my friends' boyfriends will try to set me up with all night. They might leave me alone if you're there."

"Great, let me go tell Mario I am heading out for a bit and then we can go."

Karen watched Sidney run back to the house and she leaned up against her car. She thought to herself 'what did I just do asking him to go with me' but she didn't have time to answer herself when she saw Sidney running back towards her. They got in Karen's car and headed to the bar.

No comments: