7.28.2008

Chapter 7

When Karen walked back inside, she saw everyone cheering at the tv.

"Who's leading?"

"Your man Johnson, who else?" Nate answered

"Naturally."

"You coming to join us for the rest of the race?" Samantha asked

"Yeah. I'm going to get something to eat first then I'll be in."

Karen walked into the kitchen and saw Liz getting some pizza. She walked past her to find something to eat.

"Um, do you want these last couple slices of pizza?" Liz asked

"No. I think I just want a bowl of cereal. Thanks anyway."

Karen got her cereal and started to make her way back into the living room.

"Kiki wait" Liz called to her "look, I'm sorry for what happened earlier. I shouldn't have gotten Jason to ask what he did."

"I'm sorry too. I never should have said you still had David's number, especially with Tom here."

"You had something on me to get back at me, props to you for using it. You could have just not gotten me back and walked away but you stood your ground. I just don't want to see you get hurt again by a hockey player."

"If I get hurt, then there is going to be a reason other than Sidney being a hockey player. I am even confused to what's going on with Sid" sitting down at the table with Liz joining her "and before you say it, no it's not the age thing. Maybe I am scared to fall in love again, but this feels so right being with him. I don't have to be anybody but myself and I love that."

"Then don't let yourself run from this. Sidney is great, we all think so. He wasn't all cocky or arrogant around us when he could have been. He brings out your natural smile, it never came out with Rick."

"And I thought Rick and I were so happy too."

"At one point you probably were, but not as happy as you look with Sid" getting up from the table "let this happen naturally. Everything will fall into place, you'll see."

Liz left Karen alone with her thoughts. She sat there and smiled before grabbing her bowl and heading to the living room to watch the rest of the race with her friends.

Meanwhile at Mellon Arena...

Sidney pulled into the parking lot and grabbed his bag, running into the arena. He headed to the locker room and was told by a few remaining players that they were going to be in the weight room. He changed into his workout clothes and headed out.

"Nice of you to join us today Crosby." Coach Therrien bellowed out as he entered the room.

Sidney just nodded to him and waited to hear what was going on. The guys were broken into different groups to do their workouts.

"Not like you to be late Sid, what's going on?" Ryan started with the questions.

"Just got held up is all. I still got here on time."

"Did something or someone hold you up?" Marc-Andre said getting in on the questioning.

"What's with all the questions? I got held up, simple as that."

"Guys, leave the kid alone" Jordan chimed in "I think our boy is in love with the girl that schooled him yesterday. Tell me I'm wrong."

Sidney smiled "Ok, you're not wrong. There's just something about her."

"Isn't she like twice your age though?" Ryan asked

"What's age really got to do with anything in a relationship? She understands what pressures I'm under and can just be there to be there."

"What are you talking about?" Evgeni added

"She used to date Rick Tocchet back when he played here. That's why she's perfect for me, she knows what we go through everyday and can handle it. Besides, she used to play the game. What better qualities can I ask for?"

"He has a point guys" Marc-Andre said. "We all need our girlfriends to understand what we go through after every game and he's found someone he doesn't have to explain everything to get them to understand. She just knows. So why don't we concentrate on our workout and get more out of him after?"

All the guys agreed and put their energy to their workout and not into questioning Sidney about Karen.

After an hour, Coach Therrien told the guys to get their skates on. They weren't going to be in full practice gear, he told them he wanted them to skate around to keep their legs loose and warmed up. The guys changed and headed out to the ice surface for the last hour or so of practice.

Back at Karen's house, the race ended and her friends had left. They were leaving in the morning to head to their respective homes and Karen needed to get things ready before driving down to Wheeling for the week. She got the house cleaned up and her clothes packed for the work week, now she was just relaxing on the couch and waited until it was time for her to leave.

At 7pm, Karen was getting the car packed when she heard someone walk up behind her and then felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist.

"Got a few mintues to spend with a lonely guy?" Sidney whispered into her neck

"I have about 60 of them, but I am expecting a really hot hockey stud any minute now. Maybe you want to join us?"

"I'm not really into all that. Besides, I saw that hot hockey stud and I told him he needed to back off because there was only one hockey stud that was vying for your affections."

Turning around in his arms, "is that right? Do I get a say in which hot hockey stud I want vying for my affections?"

Sidney never answered her, instead he kissed her with a hard, passionate kiss that sent shockwaves through Karen's body. She was thankful she had Sidney to hold on to because she would have collapsed if she didn't.

"Ok, I guess I know which one I want."

"You know if it's me, there will be more of that anytime you want it."

"Mmm, maybe I should just pick you and not worry about the other one. He wasn't all that anyway."

"Don't tell me you're getting ready to leave now, are you?" Sidney asked looking in the car.

"No, not for another hour. Care to join me inside until I need to go?"

"I was hoping you'd ask me that."

Karen just smiled and led him inside. They went into the living room and sat on the couch, watching tv until it was time for her to leave.

At 8pm, Karen got a few more things and Sidney walked her to her car. She told him to get in and she would drop him off at Mario's as she left. He got in and they headed down the street. When Karen stopped the car, Sidney leaned over and kissed her.

"I wish you could just commute to work everyday."

"That's a little harsh on gas for the week, besides it easier this way."

"Where do you stay down there?"

"One of the girls I work with has a house and an extra room. She knew I liked to be here on the weekends and offered me to stay with her during the week when I worked. I do pay her some money for food and for letting me stay there, it just works out."

"We might need to find you a job up here so you wouldn't be leaving me every week."

"Oh poor baby. What ever will you do to pass the time until it's the weekend again? Maybe you could use that talent of yours and play hockey professional." Karen said sarcasticly while trying not to laugh.

"You're funny. I wish I could be just like you." he said with his own sarcasm.

They sat there and just laughed at each other. Karen looked over at Sidney and knew it did feel right to want to be with him. She wondered if she should throw all the waiting out the window and date him.

"You still with me here" Sidney waved his hand in front of her face "where did you go?"

"Nowhere, I was just thinking about something."

"Was it about me?"

"Maybe but I will never tell."

"Never?" he asked before starting to kiss her neck.

"Mmm, maybe one day."

Karen turned her head and let her lips meet up with Sidney's. They stayed locked in a heated kiss for a few minutes before Karen finally broke away.

"I need to go before it gets any later. My friend goes to bed early and I don't want to disturb her coming in later than what she's used to" seeing a dejected look on his face "it doesn't mean what you think it means everytime I pull away Sid."

"I know you want time to process all of this, but please understand that I want this to happen between us."

"I know you do and part of me wants to throw my waiting out the window and try this."

"But..."

"I don't know. It just feels complicated for some reason."

Turning her head to look at him, "it doesn't have to be complicated you know."

Sidney kissed her one more time before telling her goodnight and getting out of the car. Karen said her goodnight as well and he shut the door, watching her drive away. As Sidney was walking up to the house, there was a car pulling into the driveway. He stopped to see Mario get out and waited for him.

"Don't tell me I have someone actually waiting for me to get home?" Mario said with a smile.

"Sorry, I was just going in."

"Where'd you go?"

"I was down at Karen's house talking to her and she just left to head back to Wheeling. Can I talk to you about her?" Sidney said.

Mario picked up on his serious tone, "Yeah, let me go change and I will meet you inside."

"Ok" Sidney sat on the porch steps while Mario went inside. He wanted, no needed some advice about him and Karen and Mario seemed like the best choice since they were friends. Sidney looked up at the moon and sighed before heading inside to wait for Mario. He got some water and then went into the living room to wait for Mario. After a few minutes, Mario came down and sat beside Sidney, waiting for him to start.

"What do you think of Karen?"

"Personally, I think she's great. She has always been a friend to me, my family and the team. Why?"

"I like her, a lot."

Mario sat there and a smile crept across his face. "I had a feeling you were interested in her from how you kept staring at her yesterday when her and her friends came to the arena. What's going on Sid?"

"I don't know, I mean, when I went out with her last night to meet her friends, it was like natural to be there with her. A couple times we acted like we were a couple. Then today, I woke up and had to see her. I was at her house before practice."

"Yeah heard you made it with like a minute to spare today."

"Sorry about that. I just didn't want to leave her and now that she's gone for the week, I really miss her. Is this as crazy as it sounds with how fast it's moving between us?"

"Not really but you do want to be careful Sid. Look, I know Karen and eventhough I hadn't seen her for a while, she still seems the same as she was back then. She is genuine in her feelings and if she is showing something back, it's because she's feeling the same as you. Have you guys acted on anything yet?" Mario asked somewhat worried.

"No, well, I mean we did kiss but that was it. She wants to take things slow and see where things go."

"And you don't agree to that?" Mario asked confused.

"I agree with it. I wanted to fight it at first and tried to convince her to let it happen, but she told me that I needed to concentrate with the rest of the playoffs first and then we'd see after that."

"Smart girl. So, if you guys both agree to wait and take it slow to see if this is real, what else is bothering you?"

"Well, you know how old she is and I don't care about that or the age difference, but what if we do finally get together and everybody goes against it because of the age thing? I don't want to hurt her like that."

"It's not going to matter what other people think as long as you do what you feel is right. If after the playoffs it still feels right to be with her, then be with her. You need to control what you do, not do what everybody else wants. Anything else?"

"No I think that's it for now. Thanks Mario, I really appreciate it."

"Anytime. Look, I know its hard to not always have your dad around to talk to but I am glad you feel at ease coming to me about this" patting him on the shoulder.

Sidney sat back on the couch and thought about what all happened today. He smiled remembering what all happened in Karen's room and knew he wanted more with her. Sidney decided to head to his room and relax for the night.

In Wheeling, Karen had gotten to her friend's house and walked inside as quite as she could. Setting her bag down, a light appeared and scared her.

"I thought you were asleep. I didn't mean to wake you."

"Its fine, I wasn't completely ready for bed anyway" her friend Maggie said. "You're a little later getting in, did you have any problems on the way home?"

"No, just a late start."

"How was your weekend? Did you meet up with anyone?" she asked looking at the mark on her neck forming.

"Why would you go there?"

"Apparently you haven't seen a mirror lately. You have what appears to be a hickey forming on your neck there. So either you lost a battle with a vaccuum or you got lucky this weekend. Which is it?" As she saw a huge smile appear on her face, "it was a guy."

"Yeah it was."

"Well we will talk about it on the way to work tomorrow and on break and on lunch...." Maggie was trailing off as she walked into her bedroom.

Karen just laughed and went to her room. She got changed and headed to the bathroom. Looking in the mirror, she indeed saw a mark when Sidney had previously been earlier in the day. Karen put her hand over the mark and remembered what happened in her room. She wondered what it would have been like if they did take it further. She got done in the bathroom and got into bed. She looked at the clock and saw it was still early, so she picked up her cell phone and texted Sidney.

No comments: