9.29.2008

Chapter 27

"Do you like where I brought you for breakfast?"

"What...when...how long has this been here?" Sidney finally stumbled out when he saw she led him to a Tim Horton's.

"It's been here for almost a year. I've heard stories where you guys have made the trip northern PA to go to one but I guess within the last year, no one told you there was one a little closer." Karen saw the smile on Sidney's face like he was a kid on Christmas and took his hand to go inside. They got up to the counter and Karen got a coffee and a doughnut since she really wasn't that hungry but laughed at all Sidney ordered. She got her coffee and sat at the only open table that seated two. Karen looked up and laughed to herself but stopped when Sidney walked over to her and sat down.

"Um, I swear this was not the reason I picked this table" Karen said as she pointed to the picture hanging above their table.

Sidney looked up and smiled at the picture. It was where he was standing behind a Timbits team. He looked like he was remembering that day or when he used to be that young. Sidney looked back at Karen and smiled as they continued to eat and talk. After a half hour, they were leavng when a little boy was walking in. Karen saw his eyes and let go of Sidney's hand walking back in. Sidney walked to the door and saw her kneeling down to the little boy talking to him. By the time they were leaving, the place had cleared out and Sidney knew what Karen was doing. He walked back inside and knelt down to the boy's level.

"What do we have here? What's your name buddy?"

The little boy shyly clung to his father's leg before his dad knelt down to him "Devin. Are you Sidney Crosby?"

"I sure am. How old are you Devin?"

"I'm six. Did you like the doughnuts?"

Karen smiled at how cute he was being. She had done day care with 3-10 year olds and forgot how they were. She also just watched Sidney interact with him and knew one day he would be a terrific dad.

"Yes I did. Get the chocolate covered one with sprinkles, it's really good."

"Ok. Can I have your autograph Sidney?"

"Sure thing buddy." Sidney saw Karen get a sharpie out of her purse and hand it to him. She was going to get a napkin, but she stopped when he signed the little boy's shirt.

"Thanks Sidney. I can't wait to see you play tomorrow."

"Let's hope we can win."

"You will. My dad says the Flyers don't stand a chance against you." Sidney just smiled and looked up at his dad that looked kind of embarassed.

"Well I'll try and prove your dad right."

"Ok Devin, why don't we let Sidney and his friend get going. It was really nice of you to take time to talk to him Sid."

"It was my pleasure. Enjoy your breakfast Devin."

"I will. Bye Sidney."

"Bye." Sidney waved and was about to leave when two girls from behind the counter came out for and autograph. He looked at Karen who mouthed 'sorry' before signing his name to a couple of napkins. They happily thanked him and then went back to work. Sidney grabbed Karen's hand and they walked out to the car without being stopped again.

"I hope you didn't mind. I saw the look Devin had when you passed him and I couldn't resist."

"I'm not mad. I will always have a soft spot for little kids."

"Well I'd say you made not only his day but his lifetime."

"Well you made my day by bringing me here. Thank you baby."

"Anytime stud." Karen leaned over and kissed his cheek before telling him how to get back to the interstate to head back.

"Baby, could you tell me how to get back to the Riverfront place you took me to?"

"Yeah but it's getting late, don't you need to be getting back?"

Sidney looked at his watch and saw it was 10:45am "we've got time."

"Ok" she told him how to get there and 10 minutes later Sidney parked the car and they got out heading to the ampitheater.

Sidney found a place to sit and Karen sat beside him only to have him move so he was facing her and straddling the bench. He didn't have to wait long until Karen was leaning against him. She loved being with him like this to where the world stopped and it was just them. Karen felt her hair being moved away from her neck and soon Sidney's lips were there. She closed her eyes and let the feelings take over. Sidney moved from her neck to her jawline, turning her head and capturing her lips in a kiss. The kiss was slow like someone had a remote and was playing the scene at slow motion. There was no rush or urgency to the kiss, it was to express what they felt for each other since they met. The kiss ended and they sat there with their foreheads pressed together.

"Is something else bothering you?"

"No, I mean I'm unsure how the rest of the playoffs will go, but that's true for any of us getting this deep into it."

"Baby, you need to stop doing this to yourself. Yes you more than anyone on the team has more responsibilities and you are in demand by the media more, but don't let that second guess yourself about this." Karen lifts his chin up and looks into his eyes "you put your heart and soul into everything you do and from that is where your determination comes from. If this is your year, it will works itself out. If not, you are going to come back better then ever. How many young guys in this league have the same aspirations as you?"

"A lot."

"And how many can win the Stanley Cup in a year?"

"A select few."

"You will be in that select few I know you will. When, is up to you."

"How can you be like this?"

"Like what?"

"So posititive about this."

"Because I believe in you Sidney. You know what ever happens I will be here for you, right?"

"I know you will be."

Karen leaned in to kiss him and was interrupted by his phone going off. "I think we need to turn that off when we're trying to have a moment."

"We just might but apparently someone's looking for me." Sidney looks at his phone but doesn't recognize the number. He showed Karen and she knew exactly who it was.

"That's Sheril's number."

"How'd she get my number?"

"Probably took it out of my phone. Are you going to answer it?"

Sidney answered it putting in on speaker phone "hello."

"Are you planning to bring our friend back anytime soon?"

"No I think I am going to keep her with me all day. I need her more than you guys."

"Yeah we've heard." Karen turned her head and blushed that they must've heard them one night. "Well we're hungry and would like our friend to join us."

"If you want her back then you have to come get her."

"Where are you?"

"We are going to be heading to the arena so either she stays with me or you come and get her."

"What's in it for us?"

"What do you guys want?" Sidney asked and Karen looked at him and whispered "wrong question."

"Hmm, this could take a while."

"Sheril if any of that thought includes Sidney I will hunt you down."

"Chill woman, I wasn't going there. Besides Steve would kill me. How about you just buy us lunch?"

"Then I guess you need to meet me at the arena."

"Fine. See you in a little bit."

They hung up and Karen just laughed. She got up so Sidney could get up and they headed to the car and started the drive to Mellon Arena.

"So let me ask you, what would Sheril have wanted?"

"Three things...you naked, a container of whipped cream and a camera."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah pretty much."

"Would that be something that you'd want?"

"Are you offering?" Karen looked over at Sidney and he just smiled at her "but I only need two of the three...you and the whipped cream."

"No camera? Can't say I'm not disappointed baby."

"Well, maybe if you're good."

They looked at each other and laughed. The rest of the drive to the arena was quiet except for the radio playing. When Sidney pulled up to the parking lot, Karen saw her friends standing there waiting for her. She got out and waited for Sidney to get his bag. He pulled her close and kissed her to the hoot and hollers of her friends. Karen said goodbye to Sidney and they went their separate ways.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Okay, so I've been reading this whole story for the past few days and I love it! I can't believe I didn't find it sooner. I love how she is a lot older than him - it makes this story a lot different than the others. I also like how there's history between Karen and Mario and his family. Karen's friends crack me up though, I was going to write this on one of the other chapters but I decided against it, I laughed for like three minutes straight out loud when they were having breakfast and Austin mentioned how Sidney slept without clothes on, oh my god I was in hysterics. Please post more soon, this is really good! =]