12.06.2009

Chapter 160

After the festivities on the ship and a brief ride in a tank, it was time to stop at the hospital to visit the children and bring the Cup there for them to see it. Karen knew Sidney had a soft spot for kids in general and it didn't surprise her that he wanted to take the Cup there. They walked in and Sidney first started going from room to room showing the Cup to the ones who couldn't leave their beds. Karen kind of stood back and watched him until someone pulled on her shorts.

"Hi there" Karen said looking down at the little blonde girl in a wheelchair.

"Hi" she said kind of shyly.

"Is there something I can help you with?"

"Are you here with Sidney?"

"Yes I am. Did he bring the Cup to show you yet?"

"Not yet but I'll see it in the game room with all the other kids. Are you his girlfriend?"

"Actually I am" she said kneeling down to her level "I'm Karen."

"I'm Alicia."

"Well that's a beautiful name for such a beautiful little girl."

"Thank you. Are you going to marry him?"

"Alicia Nicole, that is not very nice" the girl's mother said.

"That's ok" Karen said smiling up at her before turning her attention back to the girl "to tell you the truth, Sid and I are getting married next weekend."

"YOU ARE?" the girl said excitedly.

"Yes we are" Karen said almost laughing at her happiness.

"Who do we have here?" Sidney said walking over and setting the Cup down beside the little girl.

"Sid, this is Alicia and she's very excited to know that we're getting married next weekend."

"She is?" he said kneeling down beside Karen "well I hate to break a pretty little girl's heart, but she's right. See Alicia, I found this beautiful woman to spend my life with and I don't really want to let her go."

"She's pretty and nice, I think you should keep her too."

"Well thank you both so very much."

"I am ready to go into the game room and celebrate the Cup with some more friends, I hope you're coming to join us Alicia?" Sidney asked her.

"Duh, that's what I've been waiting for" she said getting a laugh out of both Sidney and Karen.

"Well let's go and have some fun" he said picking up the Stanley Cup and walking beside Alicia as they made their way to the game room. The mom took Alicia in first to get her a spot before Sidney came in with the Cup. Karen again just stood back and watched all the fun he had with the kids, especially when they gave him a birthday cake and a silly hat to wear. Karen couldn't help but get her phone out and snap a picture for blackmail purposes later. They finished up at the hospital an hour later and made their way to start the parade. Before the parade was to get underway, Sidney got changed in his Stanley Cup t-shirt and a pair of shorts before climbing on a fire truck with the Stanley Cup. Karen rode with Taylor in a car behind and was still in awe with what she saw.

"So was it like this when you won the gold medal?"

"Not quite. It was more of a quiet celebration with family and friends."

"That's what this is" Taylor said smiling.

"If this is all family and friends, I'd hate to see the Christmas list for presents" she said as they both giggled and continued on until they stopped at the end with a stage and more people waiting for Sidney. They got out of their cars and met up by the side of the stage. Sidney put the Cup down and walked over to Karen, taking her to behind the stage. "Ooo, a brief encounter with a Stanley Cup Champion."

"I missed being with you and wanted a moment before we got to the house." Sidney pulled her close and lightly grazed her lips with his, letting it linger until they heard someone call for him. "At least it was a little longer than I expected."

"Be patient stud, there will be more of that later and it will last a lot longer."

"Keep putting thoughts in my head and I will have to keep the Cup infront of me the rest of the day."

"Well you could always picture Max naked."

"Why do you do that to me?" he said with a distinct whine.

"I was just trying to help" Karen said laughing.

"Just be glad that I love you so much" he said before kissing her. Karen kissed him back as they walked back over to the stage and they announced Sidney who grabbed the Cup and headed up to the roar of the crowd. Karen walked up the steps and stayed to the side and just watched Sidney address the crowd. She saw and heard him get choked up when talking about winning the Cup and what his hometown meant to him for their support but what she didn't expect to hear really threw her.

"I also need to thank my mom, dad, sister, and grandparents for their support. They stuck with me as I went for my dream and I couldn't have won this without them. Which leads me to one other special person in my life. Last year I met the most sincere, understanding and caring woman that helped me learn that there was more to life than hockey. She helped me see through the hard time of losing the Cup and was there to help me celebrate this one. Without her, I don't think I could have kept going when the doubts filled my head when we met Detroit in the finals again. So to my girlfriend Karen, I love you for sticking by me and I hope to share many more of these with you." Sidney looked over to her as saw the tears cascade down her cheeks as she mouthed I love you to him. Sidney went on thanking the crowd and soon Max joined him on stage to answer questions from the crowd.

After the celebration at the stage, Sidney and Max left so Sidney could get changed to play street hockey. Karen had to laugh and he came walking over to her before going into goal for his team.

"Is there a problem baby?"

"No, I just should have known there would have been some sort of game of hockey today."

"We used to play for the Stanley Cup when we were younger all the time, it'll be great for the guys to play for the real thing this time around."

"You never stop amazing me stud" she said kissing his cheek "go have fun."

"I plan on it baby" he said kissing her lips and running over to the goal crease as Karen got off the court and went to stand by his Max.

"So I didn't get to ask Maxwell, what all did you do with the Cup when you had it?"

"Believe me, it was nothing like this. Just enjoyed it with some friends and family but I think Sid's day takes the Cup...no pun intended" he said bumping Karen to make her laugh.

"You are too corny for words Maxwell. So how long is this visit for?"

"I'll probably stay with you guys and help Sid celebrate then head home after that."

"You will be back for the wedding I hope."

"Would I miss a chance to see that? Besides, we were all left off the guest list the last time."

"That was all Sid's doing, don't hold it against me."

"I won't, but hey we got another beautiful woman added to our little group and for that we can't stay mad at" he said kissing her cheek and walking away. Karen turned her attention back to the game and cheered on Sidney until the game was over. Of course Sidney's team won and he let the guys skate around with the Cup before getting a group picture with it.

After the festivites winded down, they headed onto a boat for a little relaxed time. Karen had walked away from everyone and stood out looking at the scenery that went by. Soon, she felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist and holding her tightly.

"So this was where you snuck off to."

"I didn't sneak off, just wanted to see the sights a little."

"You ok?" Sidney asked stepping to the side of Karen but not letting her go.

"Yeah, I'm fine" she told him with a smile.

"Ok, you almost had me believing that. What's wrong?"

Karen turned to Sidney and caressed his cheek "nothing's wrong, trust me."

"I told you that today would get crazy and..."

"...and you wouldn't be with me a lot today. I know that and I'm not mad about anything that happened today."

"Then what is it?" he asked concerned.

Karen saw his dad approaching "maybe we could talk about it later. Now's not the place for it."

"So you are mad about today?"

"No I am not mad about today and I swear I will push you overboard if you ask me that one more time. I loved watching you celebrate your dream today and what I was thinking about has nothing to do with any of this, ok?"

"Ok."

"I think your dad wants you."

Sidney looked back and nodded in his direction to tell him he'd be right there "Why don't we head back in and enjoy the rest of the music?"

"I'll be in after a minute ok?"

"Ok. I love you and like I said today, I do owe some of this to you."

"I know, me and my all out truth does some good huh? And I love you too." Sidney pulled her in for a kiss and let it get intense for a moment before letting her go and heading back inside. Karen wondered if the power behind the kiss was to assure her he was sorry for leaving her alone today. She didn't know how many times she could keep telling him that wasn't the reason for her wanting a minute to herself, but she would talk to him after the Cup leaves and everything gets back to normal. Karen took in one more breath of the sea air and headed in to be with Sidney. After the boat ride, everyone headed home to wait for what tomorrow will bring them.

On the 8th, Sidney still had possession of the Cup for most of the day it started out going to the Nova Scotia Sports Heritage Center for a breakfast reception. They had a wall designated to Sidney and his mom had graciously donated pictures and memoriablia of Sidney's things over the years, which Sidney hadn't seen yet. He took Karen's hand and they walked through the display together with Sidney explaining some of the pictures. Karen saw how in awe he was by the display and knew it made him proud that his hometown was also this proud of him. After they left the Heritage Center, a small gathering of family went back to his parent's house. Karen was talking with Trina and noticed Sidney hadn't been around for awhile. She asked Troy and he said he took the Cup upstairs and Karen went to find him.

When Karen got upstairs, she saw Sidney sitting on his bed with the Cup and just looking around his old room.

"Hey" she said quietly not to startle him.

"Hey baby, come here."

Karen walked in and sat beside him "whatcha doin up here?"

"Just remembering."

"Kind of surreal huh?"

"Yeah it is. All of this..." he said pointing to trophies and medals "turned into this" Sidney ran his fingers over the edge of the Cup's bowl. Karen saw him get choked up and put her hand on his back and bringing it up into his hair "I can't believe I actually won this."

"I can. After last year, the determination was there and none of you guys would be outdone this year. You wanted it more."

"What were you thinking about on the boat last night?" Sidney asked looking at her.

"I was just being selfish and thinking about myself is all."

"Understood, now what were you thinking about?"

"You really have a soft spot for kids and watching you with them at the hospital and the autograph session made me wonder about things."

"About wanting one?" Karen got up and walked by a bookcase looking at the pictures "am I right?"

"When I was pregnant, I was so looking forward to being a mom and everything that came with it. I've never lost that urge to want to have a family and watching you with all those kids just shows what a great father you'd be and I can't make that dream come true for you."

"Baby, yes you can...we can. When we're ready for a family there are hundreds of babies in need of adoption. We will have our family when we want one" he said getting up to walk over to her. "We will adopt as many as we can handle."

"You just want your own little hockey team."

"Isn't it obvious?" Sidney said to get Karen to smile. "Baby, it will happen and we will have our family. I want to expand our family as much as you do, ok?"

"Ok." They stepped closer and their lips met for a heated kiss "you know" Karen started after breaking the kiss "there's something intoxicating about being in your childhood room in your parent's house."

Sidney looked at her "trust me I know but I think we need to curb this until after the party tonight."

"You better be ready to rock my world keeping me at bay this long stud."

"Believe me baby, you won't be able to handle it." Sidney kissed her again before they headed back downstairs.

1 comment:

Val said...

Woohoo, always love your updates, and I am sad that Karen was sad about the whole baby issue...glad that Sidney is so good about it.

Fab, as always, sister woman!