4.25.2010

Chapter 182

As they were driving, Karen put her head on Sidney's shoulder and closed her eyes. Sidney looked at her and smiled at how peaceful she was. He thought about their last few conversations and hoped Karen was feeling better about adopting a baby. Sidney couldn't stop the smile forming when he thought about Karen holding their baby, rocking it to sleep. Of course, he could see himself doing it with Karen beside him. Sidney saw a diner and realized he had been driving for three hours and he was getting hungry. He pulled the car into the parking lot and caressed Karen's cheek to wake her up.

"Hey baby, wake up so we can get something to eat."

"Where are we?"

"We just crossed the state line into New York. I'm thinking we may head down towards the Pennsylvania line and just drive across the state."

"Oh, I wouldn't mind if we stayed across New York then dipped down when we got closer."

"Well after we eat you're driving, so you can go which ever way you want baby." They both laughed and headed inside the quaint little diner.

"Can I ask you a question without you getting mad at me?"

"I never get mad at you when you ask me things" Karen just looked at him "ok, I guess it depends on what you ask. What's your question?"

"Are you going to be ok if you go all the way back to the finals this upcoming year and then lose?"

"Why would you ask me that before the season is even underway?"

"I'm just curious Sid. You went one year and you lost and I knew what that pain felt like. You went back to the finals last season and won, still knowing what that feels like. I was just wondering how its going to feel if you go back a third time and lose again."

"Well I guess it would be disappointing to go all that way and lose again, but I guess it makes that first one bittersweet because I did win it the year before." Sidney looked at her when she looked down to get a bite of food "and I'm not mad you asked that. It does need to be somewhere in the back of my mind. It'll be hard to go back a third time."

"All eyes will be on you to compare you to last year. I guess I asked this early before the season starts because I didn't want to upset the balance when the playoffs start in 8 months."

"I know baby" he said smiling at her only to get one back. They finished with their dinner and shared a dessert before heading out to get as far as they could before stopping for the night.

The next day, they got up early to start driving home. Karen had stayed in New York and Sidney saw the highway sign to take them to Pennsylvania so they could head South to Pittsburgh.

"Do you think we don't have a shot this year to repeat?" Sidney asked out of the blue.

"I didn't mean it that way stud. I know you guys have the talent and strength to repeat, not to mention the determination but there has to be some realization that not only going back to the finals but repeating as the Stanley Cup champions is tough."

"Teams have done it before baby."

"I know but ask any of them and see what they tell you. I remember back in '92 when even Mario wasn't sure if they'd get back there."

"Yeah maybe."

"Look" she said turning in her seat to really look at him "I have all the faith and support that you are going back this year but you know I'm not one to sugar coat what you want to hear."

"I know and I love that you give me that 'no shit' reponse when I'm feeling insecure about the game."

"The only way I can compare it is to the USA/Canada rivarly."

"Why would you bring that up?"

"Because it's the only way to get you to understand. There has been a rivarly not only in the Olympics but at Nationals and Junior level. The final game always comes down between those two teams. Has USA won them all?"

"No."

"Has Canada?"

"No and I get what your saying. We could make the finals every season and its not a guarantee that we'll win it every year."

"You know, teams like Edmonton was a force back then with Gretz, Messier, Coffey...the list goes on. They won a lot but if you go back into their seasons, how many of them were great enough to maybe get them into the playoffs."

"Like us last year." Sidney glance over and saw her look "you didn't think we were going to make huh?"

"Did you guys think you would in February?"

"No we didn't. In a way we were glad to have Bylsma come in. We figured if we finished strong and not made the playoffs we could just get ready for this year."

"But I think a fresh new coach and a better determination pushed that thought out of your heads. Now you guys know what Dan expects and can build bigger onto that for this year."

"I love our little talks baby."

"Yeah cause without them what would we have to do in this relationship."

"Well, the sex can always fill any and every void."

Karen just busted out laughing "I think it already does stud." Sidney leaned over in his seat and Karen did the same, letting their lips meet for a quick kiss.

After about 5 hours of driving and stopping for food, Sidney pulled into the driveway and they got out, grabbing a few things before heading inside. As soon as Karen stepped inside and saw the boxes a wave of sadness hit her, stopping her in the middle of the hallway.

"Baby, it's going to be alright" Sidney said putting the bags down then wrapping his arms around her.

"I know but for the past month, I've forgotten about it."

"Maybe that's a good sign."

Karen looked around "maybe" she said in a voice above a whisper that Sidney could tell tears were present.

Sidney lead her into the living room and to the couch. He sat her down on it and he sat on the coffee table in front of her "do you know why I want us to move?"

"So you wouldn't have to live somewhere that wasn't yours?"

"No, someplace that was OURS. Someplace that neither of us have lived in. It doesn't matter who bought it, we can start a brand new life in a house that will offer so many new adventures of us. I know its going to be hard baby, but everything is coming with you to keep those memories alive for you with your parents. I only did this to make you happy."

"I know and I am happy about the new house even if you can't always see it. They've been gone for so long and it scares me that there are times I am beginning to forget them."

"You'll never forget them baby" he said caressing her cheek "they'll always be in your heart. But I do have one surprise for you."

"What?"

"One room in the new house will be just for your memories of your mom and dad."

"What?" she said in disbelief.

"When I picked out the rooms to make one for my hockey stuff and of course the one guest room strictly for my parents, I saw one that you could put pictures up and house all your parent's things you can't throw away. Then when you start to miss them, you could go sit in there, look through all the scrapbooks and keep their memories alive even longer."

"You really thought about that for me?"

"Cause I know you would just put all the boxes away and this way its all out the way it should be."

"Thank you. That will make it a lot better for me. Um, the one for your parents is on the other side of the house, isn't it?"

"Yes it is baby" Sidney said laughing knowing fully what she meant "I don't think we would want it any other way." Sidney leaned in and kissed her, letting it linger a little longer "I'm going to go head over to Dana's and see where they're at so we can get the moving truck set up."

"Ok. I still have a few things to still get boxed up in the guest room off the kitchen, so I may get to that."

"I'll see you in a little while?" he said pulling her closer to him.

"I have no where else to go" she said kissing him again "besides, a lot of the players aren't back in town yet."

"Ha ha baby. I love you."

"I love you too." Sidney let her go and went to leave. Karen decided to leave the boxes in her car for now and went to get the rest of the guest room boxed up.

A couple hours later, Sidney returned and Karen had pretty much everything done with the exception of their bedroom, which wouldn't be too hard to do with all the clothes and furniture in there. Karen saw him come in with a pizza box and loved that since she was too tired to cook or go out.

"Thought you would enjoy this."

"Mmm, yes. I didn't want to cook or go anywhere so you read my mind Crosby."

"Maybe I can get into your head and read what you want later."

"I'm sure you will know exactly what I'm thinking." Karen opened the box of pizza as Sidney went to get a couple beers from the fridge and some napkins. He came back and they ate, talking about what was left to do. "So how long until Dana and his family are out of the house?"

"Well, that's the thing baby."

"Oh god, don't tell me they're not even packed yet" she said worried.

"Actually, the opposite" he said getting a confused look from Karen "they are already out."

"WHAT?"

"Ok, right beside you, don't have to yell."

"Sorry. They're already out?"

"Yeah. I called him and he met me there. When I went inside, there was nothing but empty space. We can move in anytime now."

"Wow, I thought we would not be in until after Labor Day."

"I know, me too but we can start taking some small stuff over the next couple days and then all the big stuff with the moving truck."

"There's one thing we need to do before we leave here?" she said.

"Baby, we've already had sex in every inch of this place."

"Not what I meant you sex fiend" she told him getting him to just laugh "we need to get the guys and all my girls over for one last party."

"I think that is a great idea. I'll see when everyone is getting back and we can plan it then."

"Have to leave the house in style."

"That we will baby, that we will" he said kissing her before breaking apart to finish their pizza.

2 comments:

college kara said...

so cute! i seriously cannot wait for the two of them to get a baby, they're going to be the best parents! thanks for updating! <3

sidneyluver87 said...

yeah they really are going to be great parents! cant wait for the next update! :)