11.21.2009

Chapter 156

The next morning Ryan woke up without Karen beside him. He looked around and realized he was in his room and alone "I can't believe it fucking happened again" he said to himself. He got up and got dressed, heading out into the living room. He heard movement in the kitchen and went in seeing Karen making breakfast.

"I was hoping the smell of food would wake you up" she told him. "Want some coffee?"

"Yeah, I'd love some" he said as he watched Karen pour him a cup and hand it to him. "How'd you sleep?" he asked her.

"Really well. I must have been more tired from the drive than I thought."

"How far do you plan to get today?"

"Not sure, depends how many stores I stop at to look for dresses. I hope I can at least get across the border" she said handing Ryan a plate of food and grabbing hers before they went to sit at the table. They ate with limited conversation and when they were finished, Ryan knew his time was short. After Karen took the plates into the kitchen, Ryan told her he'd do the dishes later since she needed to head out. Karen just smiled and headed to the guest room to finish getting ready. She came out a few minutes later and put her bag by the door turning to Ryan "I guess this is goodbye. Thanks for letting me stay last night."

"It was my pleasure so stop thanking me."

"Ok. I guess I'll see you when the Ducks come to play in Pittsburgh next season." Karen bent down to pick up her bag and opened the door with her free hand "bye Ryan." She started to walk out when Ryan grabbed her arm and shut the door "what's going on?"

"I can't let you leave my life Karen" he said before pushing her against the door and kissing her. "Let me be the one to make you happy, let me make love to you every night. I love you Karen, can't you see that?" he said before kissing her again.

Karen pushed him back "why are you doing this? You know I love Sidney."

"But I love you too. When he hurt you, who was there...it was me. I can love you just as much as he does, if not more. Just give me the chance." Ryan slowly leaned in and kissed her again, surprised when she kissed him back.

Karen dropped her bag from her hand and wrapped her arms around his neck. She was pulled into the kiss until she realized what was happening. She broke the kiss and stepped back, looking at him "I'm sorry" she whispered as tears began to fall "I might have feelings for you but those feelings are stronger for Sid. I'm in love with him Ryan and I'm his wife for that reason. Don't do this to me." Karen put her hand to his cheek, caressing it before bending down to get her bag, opening the door and practically running out to her car. Ryan stood there for a minute before he closed the door and fell against it. He stepped back and punched the wall being angry with himself for doing that to her. His dream was for her to want to be with him too but everything shattered when she left him alone.

Karen started driving until she saw a mall, pulling in to the parking lot. She sat in the car for a few minutes to let the tears stop and calm down. She couldn't believe that Ryan professed his love for her and made her for a brief second made her doubt her love for Sidney. Karen felt sick to her stomach that she actually betrayed Sidney and kissed Ryan back, letting some feelings slip through. She knew she couldn't tell him for the fear he would divorce her and leave her life. She took a deep breath and wiped her eyes, looking in the rear view mirror to make sure she looked presentable to go shopping. Karen grabbed her makeup bag and fixed her face where the tears took it off and headed inside the mall to look for her wedding dress. After an hour of looking at the couple stores, she decided to give up and just finish driving towards Nova Scotia.

On the thrid day, Karen got closer to Sidney’s house and smiled knowing he wouldn’t be expecting her. It also scared her that she could catch him doing something too. She pulled up to the house and was thankful that his car was there. Karen parked and got out, leaving her bags and going up to the front door. She tried the knob and it was locked so she walked around to the back of the house and saw Sidney on the dock fishing. His back was to the house and Karen quietly walked down there. She softly walked onto the dock, careful not to make too big a motion for Sidney to notice someone was behind him.

“Are you catching dinner or should I decide to make something?” Karen said her voice a little louder than a whisper.

Sidney turned around at the voice and was shocked to see Karen standing behind him. He brought the fishing line out of the water and put his pole down before taking her into his arms “what are you doing here baby? I wasn’t expecting you for another week.”

“I was granted a few more days so instead of staying around the house, I wanted to spend those days with you. If you don’t want me here, I’m sure I can stay with your parents.”

“You are not going anywhere baby because I would have gone over there and brought you back. How did you get extra days?”

“Why don’t we talk about that little later.”

“Uh oh, everything ok?”

“Yeah it’s fine” she said kissing him “so since you’re tied up catching dinner, I am going to go get my bags from the car.”

Sidney looked at the lake then to Karen “we can have fish for dinner tomorrow night. I think I’ll take my wife out for dinner tonight.”

“Ooo, I like the sound to that.” Sidney leaned in and kissed her before they headed to the house and then out to the car to get the bags. They went into the house and they put the bags down by the steps.

“There has got to be a reason why you have this many bags baby.”

“I was going to surprise you later but I’m not staying only two weeks…I’m staying the whole month.”

“How did that happen? I didn’t think you could get the extra two weeks off.”

“I only told you that after I only put in the two weeks but after you left to come up here, I put in for the other two.”

“Well that was cruel. I thought I would only have a little time with you.”

“I wasn’t about to forgo all this time with you before the season starts up and I don’t get to again.”

Sidney just looked at her and led her to the couch. He sat down and Karen sat beside him “what’s going on?”

Karen looked into his eyes “is that offer to take care of me and support us still on the table?”

“It was never taken off. What are you saying baby?”

“I quit my job a couple days ago…”

“You did?” he said trying not to sound too excited.

“Yeah but before I left, the store manager caught wind of it and pretty much begged me to stay on.”

“And you did.”

Karen let out a sigh “I’m sorry I was so ready to walk out but when he started praising me, I caved and said I’d stay.”

“What happened exactly?”

“I had the first two weeks approved and when I went to put in the second two weeks, my manager told me she couldn’t have me gone for a whole month and wasn’t going to approve it. I told her that I quit and put my stuff away to leave. I guess while I was doing that, she called the store manager and told him what happened. I clocked out when he paged me and I went to go talk to him. I’m sorry I was ready to let it all go to be with you and…”

“Shhh baby stop, it’s ok if you want to keep working.”

“I know but you’d rather I don’t and I was ready to give that to you.”

“Your job is important to you and from the apparent praise your store manager gave you someone is noticing your hard work. I can’t let you give that up, not now.”

"So what happens when the praise leads me to the corporate offices?"

"And that's where?"

"Sidney, Nebraska" she said with a smile "would you come with me?"

"Don't think so baby."

"Why not?"

"No hockey team, so there's nothing for Sidney in Sidney."

Karen started laughing "you're such a dork."

"As long as you love this dork."

"I can't help but only love you and your dorkiness." Karen leaned in and kissed him, letting him know he was who she wanted.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I still can't believe she cheated on him and she is not even feeling guilty about it at all!!!!!! This just makes me so sad for Sid!

Val said...

@Cathy - I am thinking it was a dream he had...

Awesome chapter, and I am glad she was able to surprise Sid. Of course, now we have to see exactly what they have for dinner, so update soon :)