3.07.2009

Chapter 97

The girls got together and got situated in their seats. As the game started, the Pens got the scoring started and got the first goal for the only one in the first period. Sidney assisted on Geno's goal and it looked like the game was going in the right direction. As the second period got going, the Caps scored to even it up but then they came back to take the lead until the Caps scored again and it was tied 2-2 at the end of the second. The third period was the breaking point. Even as the Pens tried to keep up in the scoring when they tied it after the Caps took the lead in the beginning of the third, nothing helped and they went on a scoring streak beating the Pens 6-3. Of course, that wasn't the worst part of it. Sidney went down late in the third and was slow getting up and over to the bench. Karen had a fearful look to her face when she saw him. She stared at the bench watching him and saw during a break in the play that he went to the locker room with one of the trainers. Karen looked to her friends and told them she had to go, running up the steps and down to the locker room by herself.

She got to the locker room and went to find him. He was in his stall and had his gear off, wearing a pair of shorts. As Karen walked over to him, she saw his knee begin to swell and knew it wasn't good.

"Hey baby" he said looking up at her.

"Hey. You ok?" she said sitting down beside him.

"Yeah, I will be. The trainer hasn't looked at it yet. How did you get down here so fast?"

"I ran."

"Might have to get hurt more often if that's what it takes."

"Not funny Crosby."

Sidney leaned over and kissed her lips "sorry. We'll see what they say and go from there ok?"

"Ok." Karen got up when he did and Sidney put his arm around her as they walked into the trainer's room. Karen stood back and just watched, waiting to see what he said. Before they were done, her phone rang and she excused herself to answer it. When she came back a few minutes later, Karen saw the look on Sidney's face "well?"

"He's not sure so I am going to get an MRI tomorrow and see what they say."

"Let's hope it nothing serious."

"From your beautiful lips to God's ears baby" he said kissing her. "I am going to get my shower and then we can head home, ok?"

"Ok. I'll tell Natalie that I am going to wait for you so she can decide to stay with Max or head home. I love you."

"I love you too." Karen helped Sidney towards the locker room and went into the lounge to wait for him.

A while later, Sidney came out and sat beside her "no media?" she asked.

"Nope, they were told I had a lower body injury and that I was getting checked out."

"So then why are we waiting around when you could be home resting?"

"Just giving them time to clear out."

"Gotcha." Karen smiled and put her head on his shoulder as they sat and waited. About 20 minutes later, they left and headed home.

The next day, Karen went to work and Sidney made his way to get the MRI done on his knee. He knew he wouldn't be back by the time Karen got home but knew Max was going to talk to her. Sidney hoped when he talked to Max, he got the answer he hoped for.

At 1:30p Karen pulled into her driveway and not a minute later, a car pulled up as she was exiting her car. She smiled when she saw Max get out and come towards her.

"Man, you don't even give a girl time to prepare for a visit from you."

"Nope, don't want to give her time to change her mind about seeing me."

"Well why don't we head in and have ourselves a chat then." Karen went inside the house with Max following behind her. She excused herself and went to change as Max made himself comfortable in the living room. "So what can I help you with Maxwell?" she said sitting beside him.

"Um Kiki, that's not my name. It's Maxime not Maxwell."

"But I like Maxwell better."

"How about Maxie?"

"No good. I'd have to start calling you Maxie Pad."

Max just looked at her as she sat there smiling "alright fine, Maxwell it is."

"I love how easily you guys give in. Sid should be happy he has some company in that department."

"Please don't go there" he said putting his head in his hands.

"Ok fine, what's up?"

"I just wanted to talk about what's going on with Natalie and I. You obviously know since you guys are best friends."

"Yeah I do. She's scared Max."

"I'm scared to Karen. With all the girls I have been with, I have never had this problem."

"The problem that no other girl you've been with has had a pregnancy scare."

"No, the problem of being in love and faced with something like this. This just started between Nat and I. I don't want it to end before we really get together. Maybe if she is pregnant, I should ask her to marry me."

"That wouldn't be a good idea Max."

"Why not?"

"Because if I know Nat, she is not the type of person to want a problem like this solved with a simple solution. She's feels the same way about you Max, but if you propose only because she's pregnant it'll do more harm than good."

"What do you mean?"

"She'll think you're only asking her because she's pregnant and that you might come to your senses and leave her later on. Max, Nat is a strong woman that has been independent as long as I have. If she is pregnant, she'll want your help but she's not looking for a husband out of it. Understand what I mean?"

"Yeah I do. I just want her to know that I am not going to leave her alone."

"She's knows Max" Karen said putting her hand on his back and lightly rubbing "it just hasn't sunk in yet."

"You have too much wisdom for one person girl."

"I know and it does get annoying some times, but it's better when people hear the truth."

Thanks Karen, I really appreciate it."

"Anytime Maxwell" she said smiling. "Anything else I can help you with?"

"No, I think I'm good for now until we find out for sure."

"Ok. Want to hang out until Sidney gets back?"

"I'd love to. It'll give us a chance to talk about you and Sid."

"What about me and Sid?"

"You seem really happy with him."

"I am. To be honest, I never thought we'd be where we are at this moment."

"Meaning?"

"I guess after meeting him and getting to know him, I figured we would be friends first. But here I am in love and living with him."

"So are the wedding bells going to be ringing soon?"

"I don't think so Maxwell."

"What, you don't want to get married ever or just not to Sid?"

"Before Sid and I got together, the idea of marriage was never in my head. Now that we are together, I just don't see it Max. He's only 21 and by the time he's ready, I may not be the one he's with."

"How could you think that? He loves you more then the game of hockey and that's his career."

"I know he does and I love him more than any previous boyfriend but I know how the world works Max and Sidney will soon find out that there's someone else out there for him that he'll love more than me. Some days I wonder if this is the day he'll come in here and say he's moving out because he's found someone else that makes him feel like he does now. It's not going to matter if I ever want to get married to Sid or anyone, he's not going to want to marry me Max."

"Can I tell you what me and the other guys see?"

"Sure."

"No matter how many girls are around him, when you walk into a room his eyes focus on only you. Any of those girls can try and make a play for him and he looks like he's bored to death. We can talk about the most beautiful, sexy woman that we see on any given game night in the stands and all he can talk about is you."

"But that doesn't mean he wants to marry me Max."

"No, but it does mean you're the only one he wants."

"Look Max, I was in love once and had the chance to have it all. It was all taken out from under me and I never want to have that feeling again...especially with Sidney. I'm just scared that he'll leave me for someone younger and more beautiful."

"There is no one more beautiful than you Kiki."

"Don't let Nat hear you talk like that" she said smiling. "How did I become the fascination of all you guys?"

"You're not phony like the other girls try to be when they get around us. Hell, you even act like most of us. I think deep down we all want what Sid found first and if we can't find it for ourselves, flirting with you makes it worthwhile."

Karen couldn't help but laugh "are you being serious?"

"Absolutely. Would I lie to you about anything?"

"Yes you would if it was to save your ass."

"I think you need to give Sid the benefit of the doubt. He may surprise you about all your feelings" Max said getting up "I need to get going and do a few things before Natalie gets off work."

Karen walked Max to the door and out onto the porch. She hugged him and gave a quick kiss to his cheek "Things will be ok for you guys."

"Things will be ok for all of us. Thanks for listening" he said and walked off the porch.

Karen started back inside but turned and yelled at Max "one more thing before you go?"

"Anything."

"Does Sidney want to marry me?"

Max just looked at Karen and shrugged his shoulders "don't know" then turned and smiled as he got to his car. Karen saw his smile and wondered if something was up but shook her head and went inside. As Max was about to get in, Sidney drove up and got out walking over to him. "How's the knee Sid?"

"There's some swelling but I'll have to see at the morning skate if I'm able to go tomorrow night. How did it go with Karen?"

"She helped me with the situation with Nat and I think I'm ready for anything to come at me."

"And what about what the other?"

"She still has reservations that you're going to find someone younger, but I think it's more that she doesn't want what you guys have to end."

"I don't want it to end either Max."

"Then I think you might have a girlfriend that will say yes to a question you ask her when you're ready. I'll see you tomorrow morning" he told him before running to his car. Sidney stood there and smiled hoping Max was right about it. He still had four months to prove to Karen that he was in this for the long haul and was going to make her see that every day until then.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This story is AMAZING. I love it!

Anonymous said...

love it :)

Val said...

Ditto the comments above...