8.07.2008

Chapter 14

As they played Twister, everybody was all tangled up. Of course Sidney was beside Karen, who happened to be close to Jordan and Evgeni.

"Left foot blue" Diane spinned and everybody shifted. "Now right hand yellow."

That move put Karen in a weird position with Sidney very close to her.

"You look like you are in a very compromising position baby" Sidney said leaning in to kiss her.

Karen moved her head away "you are not breaking my concentration stud and I am in at least 20 different compromising positions."

"I know where I'm at, I like the position you are in Karen" Evgeni said smiling.

"I knew I liked this game for some reason" Karen said wiggling her eyebrows.

Sidney shot his head up and glared at his teammate. "Geno, any part of you that touches her will not be at the next game."

"Did I hit a sore spot there Darryl?" he said laughing then whispered into Karen's ear, "if you ever get bored with Canada, take a trip to Russia."

"Sorry Geno, but I don't plan on getting a passport anytime soon" Karen said then locked eyes with Sidney who just smiled at her.

"Ok guys, left hand green" Diane said

"Shit" Karen groaned "I will not be able to bend that way without falling." She went to reach for it but lost her balance and fell. "Ow, that hurt."

"Alright, one down and 7 to go."

"Shut it Jordan" Karen said as she got up. "It just means I can go get another drink."

Karen left the group, but smacked Sidney on the ass as she went. She left the room laughing as Sidney yelled to her. When she came back, she watched how tangled up everyone was and laughed. Karen decided to head outside to the porch for a bit.

Diane spinned again "Right foot blue guys."

Sidney went to move his foot, but slipped and fell. "Fuck, I'm out." Getting up, he looked around and didn't see Karen anywhere. He was going to go to the kitchen but saw the front door open and headed out there. Sidney saw her leaning against the column and walked up behind her, wrapping his arms around her.

"Are you going to tell your parents about me?"

"Where did that come from?"

Turning around in his arms "are you?"

"When the time is right. I didn't think they needed to know right away, why? Do you want them to know right now?"

"Its not so much of them knowing now, I was just wondering if you were going to tell them about me at all."

"Well unless we totally avoid each other the rest of the playoffs, my dad would at least ask questions if he sees us together acting like we do."

"Why just your dad?"


"Because he'll probably be the only one down here for the rest of the playoffs. You don't have anything to worry about."

"Really? What exactly would be your reaction to see your son dating a woman twice his age? Better yet, wondering what her intentions are with him?"

"He's not going to be like that."

Karen could see Sidney getting mad "whether he's like that or not, this is what everybody will think before knowing what's going on." Pulling his face back to look at her, "you know I'm right to wonder about this Sid. The first time I meet them whether they know about me or not, I am going to be the one infront of the firing squad."

"I know and I'm sorry but when they find out how much I love you they will too."

Karen didn't know if she should comment on what Sidney said or not. Did he actually love her? They had only known each other for a week and still trying to learn about each other. Did he really mean 'love'? Karen was brought out of her thoughts when Sidney lightly shook her.

"You ok? Where did you go?"

"Nowhere, just got lost in thought I guess. I just want to be prepared for what comes at us. I can handle things better if I know what's coming at me."

"So if the press finds out about this and all the rumors/talk that get all over the internet, you can handle it?"

"Yes. I know why I'm with you and if the press or the people on the internet don't buy it, I can't do more than that. I am not going to debate this with people that only want to know every little detail because it's about you and your life. But I'm not about to defend it all the time either. I just want to be with you, plain and simple."

"To tell you the truth, that's all I want too. We'll be fine and my parents will get over it once they know."

"I guess I'm more worried about your mom than your dad anyway."

"Why's that?"

"Your dad will be more concerned with me and what it does for your hockey career than anything else, but your mom will be the one to not like age difference."

"Then I guess you'll just have to convice both of them how good you are for me to be around."

"I hope you plan on helping me to convince them of that. I don't think your mom is going to want to know every little detail about how I'm good for you."

"Yeah, that part we can leave out" Sidney said leaning in to kiss her, only to be interrupted.

"Hey Karen, do you want to see THE Twister champion?" Evgeni said coming out onto the porch.

"Only because he cheated by knocking Natalie into me" Jordan followed behind complaining.

"All's fair in love and war especially when it comes to Twister" Evgeni gloated.

"It is just a game Jordan" Karen said.

"Yeah, fine. Sid we need to get going."

"Shit, it's already 11:30pm" Sidney said looking at his watched.

Ryan and Max soon came out and told Karen goodnight. Sidney told them to go ahead and he would catch up to them.

"So I guess you're not staying tonight, huh?" Karen stuck out her bottom lip to pout.

"I think this would be one night Mario might have a problem if something happens and I show up late tomorrow. Could I have a raincheck for tomorrow after the game?"

"I guess" she said pretending to be hurt. "I can wait before I have you in my bed again....if I have to." Karen started to laugh "you better go and I will see you tomorrow at the arena."

"I have an idea, how about you see if you could stay around after the game for me to drive you home."

"I don't think that would work. The girls were going to head back to Wheeling right after the game with some other friends coming up for the game and I will still have my car here since I will be driving. I can't leave my car at the arena when I need to head to Wheeling later tomorrow night."

"Yeah, that wouldn't work. Well you could still wait around for me to get done with the media and everything and then we could follow each other home."

"I think I could do that."

"Of course I could just kidnap you and make you leave your car here and then I could keep you with me for another day."

"You might want to rethink that plan."

"How much time do I have to think about it?"

"The amount of time it would take for me to call Geno back."

Karen stood there smiling and just searched Sidney face for the reaction she was hoping for. After a minute, Sidney started laughing.

"Ok. You wait for me after the game and then one will follow the other home." Sidney leaned in and captured Karen's lips in a kiss. "Of course, after we get home, I may have to give you another ride" he whispered.

"Well with you leaving for New York and being gone for 4 days, I was hoping I would get some sort a ride to keep me going that long being without you."

"Don't worry, I would never leave without you having something to remember me by." Sidney looked at his watch again "I really need to go baby." He kissed her again letting it linger.

Karen broke the kiss, "ok, I am going to be the one to step away from you because if I don't you will not be leaving this porch."

Sidney gave one more quick kiss then ran down the steps and then down the street to Mario's. Karen leaned against the column for a moment before heading back inside. She was met at the doorway with one last glass and her three friends. They all clinked glasses and went back into the living room with her friends telling her what happened with the game and how it ended.

No comments: