8.27.2008

Chapter 22

They arrived at Jordan's and could hear the music and laughter all the way to the car. Sidney took Karen's hand in his and they walked up to the door. He knocked and then opened the door, walking in. Everyone yelled their greeting and Jordan walked over.

"Bout time Crosby. We thought you were going to bail on us."

"Just spending time with this beautiful lady here."

"Well the bar's open and we ordered some pizzas which should be here shortly. Karen make yourself comfortable and we're glad you came tonight."

"Thanks, I appreciate that."

Jordan walked away and Sidney led Karen into the kitchen. He poured himself a drink and made one for her. They walked in the living room and found the last spot on the couch. Sidney sat down and pulled Karen beside him. He put his arm around her and pointed out everyone she didn't know, telling her names and who they were dating. Before long, Evgeni had made his way over to the couch and sat beside Karen.

"Are you having fun hanging out with us?"

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be having fun?"

"Well, if you ditch the captain, maybe we could have a Twister rematch."

"Does Jordan actually own the game?"

"Probably not, but we could always go back to your house and play."

"Then I guess there will be three of us playing, huh Geno?" Sidney said as his grip on Karen got tighter.

Evgeni just looked at Sidney but smiled at Karen. "До более поздно моей влюбленности когда мы сможем быть совместно" he whispered as he kissed her hand and walked away.

Sidney shot him a look and saw Karen with a confused look on her face.

"Um, does he have a girlfriend?"

"Not a steady one, why?"

"Because you guys may want to get him one and not the one that is already dating you."

Sidney laughs and kisses her "yeah, apparently I'm not the only one that has taken a liking to you."

"Well it's always nice to have a backup" looking at him "even when you never plan on using it."

"Good."

Just then Ryan got Sidney into playing a video game and Karen sat and watched them play for a little bit before getting up and walking out onto the patio. She sat down in the chair and was soon joined by someone.

"Hi, we haven't really been properly introduced. I'm Abby, Ryan Malone's wife."

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Karen."

"I know, I've heard about you from Ryan."

"Should I be scared or offended?"

"Neither" she said laughing. "He just mentioned that Sid was dating someone older than him and I was hoping for a chance to meet you. Ryan said you were nice and didn't seem to act your age."

"I guess I could take that as a compliment. I act so mature and responsible at work, I guess when I get with Sidney, I act how I feel."

"You two look good together. They way he looks at you, you can tell he's more than smitten."

"Apparently, he's not the only one. Is Geno this friendly with every girl a player dates or is it just his natural charm?"

"Well, Geno is known for his ability to make the females swoon. I think it's the accent."

"He said something in Russian to me but yeah, his accent did hit a spot I didn't know I had."

"I think he's the tester for all the new girlfriends. If they fall for him, they aren't good enough for his teammates. So how did you and Sid meet? Ryan never told me."

"Some friends and I went to the arena a few weeks ago to play around on the ice and when we got there Sid and some others were still praticing. We played around on half of the ice and they stayed on the other half. They was a little trash talking going on and they challenged us to play against them, I ended up scoring on Sid and apparently I awed him."

"That's hard to do from what I've heard."

"Yeah, that's the impression I got too. Mario came down and skated for a bit with us. He saw Sid staring at me and had a feeling he became a little taken with me since I literally beat him at his own game."

"So, what, he asked you out after that?"

"No, actually, Mario invited me to dinner and didn't tell Sid I was coming and then after dinner I kind of asked him out. From that day, any free time he's had he's been with me."

"Wow, talk about a whirlwind romance. You know, being a hockey player's girlfriend is pretty tough with their game schedule and all the puck bunnies hanging around the arena. Especially with Sidney, every girl wants that boy."

"I can see why" Karen laughs "but I've dated a hockey player, so I know about it all."

"Who'd you date?" Abby asked getting curious.

"Rick Tocchet."

"I remember him. He played here when they won the cup in '92."

"Yeah he did."

"How long did you guys date?"

"About 4 years. I went with him when he got traded to LA but then we broke up before he got traded to Boston. I came back home in '99."

"Then you are a veteran at this. I may have to seek advice from you on certain situations."

"I'll be happy to help."

Just then Sidney came out to the patio "hey Abs, Ryan is looking for you."

"Ok. I'll see you later Karen."

"Bye Abby." Karen looked up and saw Sidney standing beside the chair. He offered his hand to her and she took it only to be brought up out of the chair so he could sit down. Karen just shook her head at him and started to walk to the other chair.

"Wait, where you going?"

"You took my chair, so I was going to sit in the other one."

Sidney shook his head "no, come sit on my lap. That's why I got you up in the first place."

Karen smiled and went to sit on his lap, cuddling into his chest.

"So, what did Geno tell you when we were inside?"

"I have no idea. It was in Russian and last time I checked, I don't speak nor understand Russian. You've been around him longer, haven't you been able to pick up anything to know what he said?"

"Not without Gonch somewhere in the room" Sidney laughs.

"How many drinks have you had?"

"Not sure. I know I personally got two, but Jordan brought me a couple more. I may be underage here, but if we were in Canada I am all legal. Besides, I don't drink when we all go out, just when we get together at each other's house."

"I'm not criticizing that you're drinking, I'm just wondering if you are going to be able to drive me home later."

Sidney started kissing her neck "this will be my last one, I promise."

Karen just closed her eyes and let the feeling of Sidney on her neck take over. They were interrupted a few minutes later as Evgeni made his way on to the patio.

"Hey guys."

"Geno, isn't there anybody else you could go bother?"

"I figured Karen needed another drink" he said handing her a glass of clear liquid.

"Um, can I know what I'm drinking before I drink it?"

"It's just vodka."

Karen took a drink and almost spit it out "my god Geno, straight vodka ain't that potent."

"Russian vodka is" he said with a mischeivous grin. He left the two of them sitting out there and walk away.

"Ok, never leave me alone with that one."

"I swear it will never happen. Now where was I?"

Karen moved head and tilted her neck to him "somewhere around here" as she pointed out the spot. Sidney gladly accepted the offering and continued what he was doing. After a while, Sidney had left her neck and made his way to her lips. They were making out heavily until someone interrupted them.

"Hey Sid, you want anything else to drink?" Jordan appeared at the sliding door.

"No I'm good."

"Karen, how about you?"

"I'm fine" she said looking at her watch. "Actually I need to get going." She got up off of Sidney and helped him up, only to bring his lips down onto hers again for another mind blowing kiss.

"Alright kids, get a room."

"Can we use yours?"

"Hell no. Go get laid in your own bed Crosby."

Sidney and Karen both laughed as Jordan walked away. He held Karen's hand and led her through sea of bodies in the living room. They said their goodbyes and headed out. Sidney leaned her up against his car and kissed her before leaning his forehead against hers.

"I don't want you to leave me tonight."

"I'm not."

"What are you talking about? Don't you have to work tomorrow?"

"Nope. After you guys won and I was waiting for you to finish up with the media, I called in and took a personal day for tomorrow. I am all yours for tonight and tomorrow."

"So if you knew this for the last few hours, why are you just telling me now?"

"Because I wanted to wait until we were leaving to surprise you."

"Well I am very surprised, but more happy. Do you want to go back inside?"

Karen just shook her head no and Sidney smiled, opening the door for her. When she got in, he went around to the driver side and got in. They left the parking lot and headed out. Karen noticed that Sidney had pulled into Mario's driveway and gave him a confused look.

"Are we walking down to my house?"

"No."

That was all he said when they got out. He led her into the house and they went to the kitchen where Mario and Nathalie were.

"Hey Sid, Karen. Did you guys have fun?" Mario asked.

"Yeah we did."

"Can I fix either of you something to eat?" Nathalie said.

"I'm fine Nat" Karen told her.

"I might eat something but I can make it myself" Sidney said walking to the fridge.

"I don't know how you could be hungry with all the pizza you and the other guys ate."

"He's a growing young man Karen. He needs to keep his strength up."

When Nathalie said it, Karen and Sidney just looked at each other with a totally different thought than what she was getting at.

"Mom, I can't sleep" Lauren said coming into the kitchen.

"What's the matter?"

"I don't know" Lauren said looking at her mom but then saw Karen sitting at the table. "Kiki? What are you doing here?" she said going over to hug her.

"I just stopped by" Karen said looking at her. "You either had a bad dream or you're worried about something."

"Yeah I did."

"How did you know that?" Sidney asked shocked that Karen could pick up on that by just looking at her.

"When I babysat her and she would wake up like this, I knew something was bothering her." Karen turned to Mario "can I put her back in bed and sit with her for a little bit?"

"It's up to Lauren."

"Please Karen?"

"Come on." Karen takes Lauren's hand and stands up from the table. She looked at Sidney to make sure he wasn't mad for ditching him for awhile and the look she got back told her he was fine with it. They left the kitchen and went to Lauren's room. She got her into bed and turned off the lights before sitting beside her, letting her get comfortable.

"What's the matter Lauren?"

"I don't really know. I just can't seem to fall asleep."

"Have you tried to just clear your mind and not think about anything?"

"Yeah, but when I do that, something ends up popping in there."

"It'll be ok baby girl. Just close your eyes and try to fall alseep."

Karen laid there and stroked Lauren's hair to get her to relax enough to fall asleep. She didn't know that Sidney was outside of the door.

"Kiki?"

"What?"

"Are you dating Sid?"

"Yes I am. Did your dad or Sidney tell you we were dating?"

"No, dad never really tells us anything and when Sid is usually here, he's been at your house spending more time with you. So I kind of figured it out on my own. Do you love him?"

Sidney knew the answer, he just wondered who else she would admit it to.

"Yes I do love him. There's something special about him, it's hard to explain."

"Now that mom and dad know you two are dating, will you be around more?"

Sidney walked into the room "she will be around a lot more if I can help it."

"Were you listening at the door?" Karen asked him.

"Kind of" he said sitting down on the bed. "Everything ok Lauren?"

"Yeah, I just needed Kiki back. I think I can go to sleep now so you guys can spend time together."

"That's ok, I've been with him for the last few hours."

"Thanks baby, I appreciate that."

Karen got off the bed laughing and she leaned down kissed Lauren on the forehead before walking out of the room. Sidney did the same but Lauren stopped him before he could leave.

"Don't let this one get away Sid."

"I'll try not to. Night Lauren."

"Night Sid."

Sidney left the room and shut the door behind him. He looked at Karen and walked past her, but Karen brought him back and he smiled at her.

"Want to see my room?" he whispered.

"Are you allowed to have girls in your room?" Karen asked with a cocked eyebrow.

"No. But I am allowed to have a beautiful vibrant woman in my room."

"Any one I know?"

"I think you know her very well" Sidney said then leaned in and kissed her. He pulled away and took her hand, leading her to his part of the house. Sidney opened the door to his room and turned on the light. He stepped to the side and let Karen walk in first.

"Very impressive" she said as she looked around the whole room. "I can see why you'd want to stay here and not leave."

"I don't know. I love living with Mario and his family but I can't be a burden too much longer."

"Has Mario ever given you a reason to make you believe you're not welcome to stay as long as you want?"

"No, it's just next season will be my 4th year and it might be time to live on my own."

"Don't take this the wrong way but don't try to grow up too fast."

"So I don't take it wrong, what do you mean?"

"You need as much stability in your life right now Sid. You start thinking about moving out of here and start to look for an apartment or house, you are going to put all your time and energy into that task. What happens when training camp and then the new season starts and you have so much left undone? Your concentration is on every game and if you let your mind wander to what all you still need to do, something will end up suffering....and it could be what you don't want to suffer, your game."

Sidney walked over and wrapped his arms around her "I understand what you're saying baby."

"Besides, if you do find one you can spend the off season getting it ready."

"Then that would put me here all summer."

"And that's a bad thing considering I would be here?"

"No, it wouldn't be a bad thing being with you all summer. It was just something I was thinking about."

Sidney kissed her head and went to the bathroom. Karen hoped she didn't just squash his aspiration to move out on his own "damn it." She took off her jersey and folded it on the chair, lying on the bed in a tank top and her knit pants when she was finished. Sidney came out of the bathroom in only a pair of shorts and Karen just watched him. Sidney felt her eyes on him and he came over to the bed and laid down, letting Karen curl up to him. He flipped on the tv and found a movie for them to watch.

A few minutes into the movie, Sidney kept moving around.

"Um, can I help you?"

"I can't get comfortable. Let me try one last position."

Karen sat up and let Sidney move to where he was comfortable. He ended up on his side and pulled Karen down on hers, facing him.

"See how much better this is?"

"Yeah, but now neither of us can see the tv."

Sidney smiled, "my plan worked then didn't it?"

Karen looked into his eyes and her smile faded "I'm sorry if I made it sound like you shouldn't want to move out and be on your own. That was not my intention."

"I know it wasn't and you're right, I already have plans to go home this summer and when I get back it will be time to do it all over again. The question is, will you help me?"

"Of course I will."

Sidney pulled Karen closer and they got into the position they were familiar with. She leaned in and kissed him softly on the lips. When she pulled back, Sidney smiled and brought her back to him. Their kiss became more passionate as Sidney's hands began to roam. They made their way under Karen's tank top and came to rest on her breast. He began to massage her and she moaned into their kiss. Sidney left her lips and made his way to her neck. Karen moved her hand to his stomach and let her fingers lightly caress his abs. She found his happy trail and played with the small hairs, sending a chill down Sidney's spine. Karen heard Sidney moan into her neck and she smiled knowing she could turn him on. Just as she was about to slip her hand inside his shorts, there was a knock at the door.

"Fuck" Sidney whispered into her neck.

"Apparently not right now" Karen whispered back with a small laugh.

Sidney let go of Karen and got off the bed, running his hand through his hair. Karen fixed her shirt and got in a different position on the bed, turning her attention to the movie when Sidney opened the door.

"Hey Mario" Sidney said letting him walk in.

Mario saw Sidney in only his shorts and wondered but when he saw Karen was still fully dressed he knew not to jump to conclusions. "I just wanted to tell you that the alarm is set, so just remember to disarm it if Karen leaves."

"I will. Thanks Mario."

"Night Karen and thanks for helping Lauren tonight."

"It was my pleasure. Night Mario."

Mario walks out of the room and Sidney went to close the door behind him "could I talk to you for a second Sid?"

"Yeah" Sidney told Karen he would be back and went out into the hallway with Mario.

"Look Sid, I don't mind that she's here with you and I don't mind that she stays the night. All I ask is that you two watch how you act around the kids, ok?"

"I understand and you have nothing to worry about."

"I know I don't. Night."

"Night."

"Oh and Sid, lock the door."

Mario walked away smiling and Sidney went back to Karen. She looked at him as he entered the room and he just smiled at her.

"Do we need to take this to my house?"

Sidney didn't answer Karen as he turned off the lights and got on the bed with her. He brought her back to where they were on the bed before Mario showed up.

"Not unless you want to, but Mario doesn't mind if you stay the night with me."

"Really?"

"He trusts us and as long as we're careful in front of the kids, he's ok that you stay here with me."

"But knowing how we are and can be, are you sure we are far enough away from everybody else?"

"We are, but you can try to be a little bit more quiet."

"Is that how you want to play this game, ok, let's play and see who can be quiet."

No comments: