8.22.2008

Chapter 20

Karen had arrived home but Sidney was not behind her. She thought it looked like he turned off somewhere, now she knows that he probably did. Karen got changed into some comfortable clothes and went into the kitchen to pour some ice tea for her and Sidney. As she was getting everything ready, she heard Sidney come in.

"Where did you go? I thought you were right behind me." Karen turned around and saw Sidney standing in the doorway with a bouquet of flowers. "Those are pretty. Did you stop off to see your other girlfriend and she bought those for you?"

"Actually, on my way here, I figured you needed something beautiful to keep you smiling."

"So I guess I am only smiling for about 7 to 10 days then." Seeing the confused look on his face "flowers only last that long sweetie" she said laughing.

"Well if you don't want them, then I will just take them to my other girlfriends."

"Why must you ruin the game? I gave you one other girlfriend and you go and make more than that one. You're not right Crosby."

"Because I knew it would work. You want the flowers now huh?"

"Yes please." Sidney motioned for Karen to come get the flowers and she walked over to him. Karen leaned in and smelled the scent coming from them. "Mmm, I love roses and how breathtaking they are. They are beautiful, thank you."

Sidney took his other hand and brought it up to caress her cheek "so are you." He put the flowers on the table and looked deep into her eyes, not taking his away as he leaned in and kissed her. Karen wanted the kiss to continue all night, but she pulled away to Sidney's dismay. "I know we need to talk baby, but why can't we do this first?"

"Sid?"

"Ok, ok."

Karen laughed at him and got out of his grasp. She got the glasses of ice tea and handed one to Sidney. Karen started to head into the living room, but Sidney suggested they sit out on the porch and they went there. Sidney sat down in the oversized chair she had out there, pulling her down onto his lap. Karen just sat there and put her head to his chest to make sure she was able to do this.

"You ok?"

"Yeah, I just...."

"Baby, what is going on? Or maybe I should ask you what you thought my dad meant last night?"

"Does your dad think that because of my age, that I'm going to push marriage and kids with us?"

"He did mention about he didn't think you could make me happy in the long run."

"So he thinks that this is just a fling that will be over when the playoffs are?"

"I don't know what he's thinking. I told him that it needed to be up to us to know when to end it."

"Do you agree with him? That when the playoffs are over and you go home for the summer, you'll come back and not want to be with me?"

Sidney made Karen look at him "no I don't agree with him. I want us to be together for as long as we want to be. If you could take off work, I would love nothing more than for you to come with me and spend the summer with me, but I know that's not possible."

"I would love nothing more too, but I just can't."

"I know. Do you see yourself getting married and having kids?"

"With you or with anybody?"

"Both."

Karen looked away and got off Sidney's lap. She leaned up against the railing and looked at him. "I don't know if I ever want to get married...to anyone. What I had with Rick before it went bad, I had the chance to be married. I guess the way it ended has me scared to even think about it now. Not that I couldn't change my mind in the future, but that holds true for anyone. I know these feelings has us going kind of fast, but can you really see yourself getting married anytime in the near future?"

"No I can't and I think that's what my dad meant. He thinks that maybe you're going to pressure me into marrying you."

"After only knowing you for two weeks? I don't even work THAT fast. I may believe in 'love at first sight' but not enough to jump into marriage with someone that I am still learning things about."

Sidney got up and walked over to Karen "why did you think this would be so hard to talk to me about that we couldn't get through it?"

"Why couldn't your dad just come out and ask me if this was my intention instead of beating around with all the questions? Besides, you talk about marriage this early into a relationship and no guy will stick around to hear the entire question. I love you and I am falling more in love with you every day we spend together, but not enough to run out and get married."

"Well it's a good thing you told me how you felt. I was all ready to go pick out China patterns and have you redecorate my house in Canada" Sidney said sarcasticly to get Karen to laugh. "Baby, I couldn't have said it better myself. I mean, come on, I am only 20 and marriage is the furthest from my mind. I would love to be married one day don't get me wrong, but not for at least 10 years. I do have other pressing goals that I want to take care of first."

"And those would be?"

"Well the obvious to win the Stanley Cup and spend as much time with you as possible."

"So what do we do about your dad? I really don't want to act all awkward around him for the next few weeks."

"How about we have dinner tonight and try to replay last night the way it should have gone?"

"Ok, but this time you are not leaving us alone for a half hour."

"Deal" he said then kissed her. "Is there anything we need to go over or are we truly alright now?"

"Just promise me that if you do want to end this once you get back in September, that it's YOUR decision and not because your parents talked you into it."

"I promise."

Sidney started to kiss her but Karen stopped him "maybe you should call your dad and invite him to dinner before we continue this."

"Ok."

Karen left him to go see what she had to make for dinner for the three of them. She opened the fridge and saw the steaks she bought Friday before coming home and decided to grill them. Karen felt Sidney wrap his arms around her waist and tell her that his dad would be over in an hour. He turned her around in his arms and kissed her. Sidney walked them into the living room and sat down on the couch. Karen sat beside him and put her legs over his lap. Their lips met again and they stayed on the couch making out.

Right at about an hour later, there was a knock at the door and Karen got off of Sidney's lap and brought him up to her. He laced his fingers with hers and they went to open the door.

"Hi dad. Come on in."

"Thanks" Troy said as he walked into the house. "I'm glad we get a second chance at this Karen."
"Me too. Besides, I don't want to keep Sidney and you apart while you're here."

"I appreciate that, eventhough he has a habit of ditching his family for girls."

"And how many girls would that be?"

"Well let's see...." Troy started counting.

"You know what dad, we don't need to get into that."

Troy and Karen just look at each other and laughed. "Yeah, you guys are funny" Sidney said as he pouted and walked away.

Karen followed him and sat down beside him. Troy just watched how they were cute together acting like that. He soon walked into the living room and sat acrossed from them and they made small talk for a little bit.

"Sid, will you go get the grill started for me so we can get the steaks cooking?"

"Sure baby." When Sidney got up, he leaned back down and kissed her before going out to the back porch and firing up the grill.

"Troy can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah, go ahead."

"Do you think that because of how old I am, that I'm going to try and trap Sid into marriage and ruin his career?"

"Where would you get an idea like that?"

"Just piecing together everything you've said to me. Look, Sid is caring, protective, and seems to love who he is with. I am not who you think I am Troy. I love being with Sidney because we have things in common and we have fun together. I am not looking to get married or have kids anytime soon. Like I told him, I don't even know if I see myself wanting to get married to anyone. Why can't you just let us be with each other without thinking I have an ulterior motive?"

"Because Sidney is special. He is living out his dream and I can't let anything or anyone destroy that. I know you may not be the person to do that, but I can't take any chances."

"I understand. I'm going to go finish dinner, excuse me." Karen walked out of the living room and into the kitchen to finish the salad and side dishes. Sidney came in and got the steaks from Karen. He gave her a quick kiss and went back outside. Troy came through a minute later and went outside to sit and talk to Sidney while he cooked the steaks. Karen went out a few minutes later to see how it was going.

"Leave my steak on a little longer please. I like mine well done."

Sidney wrapped his arm around her waist "but baby, a steak that is medium is the best."

"You two can have yours any way you like it, but I don't want mine to moo at me when I cut into it." Karen went to move but Sidney's grip got tighter on her. He leaned in and kissed her like his dad wasn't sitting a few inches away. Karen remembered however and pulled away. "Everything else is done, so when the steaks are done we can eat."

A few minutes later, Sidney and his dad came inside and the three of them sat down and ate. They had a more pleasant conversation then the first time and Karen realized that no matter what she said or did, Troy Crosby was not going to like her and liked her less the longer she stayed with Sidney.

After dinner, Karen started to clear the table and she told them to go relax in the living room.

"Didn't I tell you how great she is dad?"

"Yeah you did, but the truth is, I'm not going to like anybody you're dating right now when you have so much to deal with."

"Well that's where Karen comes in. She balances that hectic life and calms me down when I need it. Sorry dad, but I am not going to throw that away right now."

"Alright Sid. I can't change your mind and I won't keep pressuring you about her."

"Thanks dad" Sidney got up and hugged his dad as Karen came in and saw the hug. They looked over at her and Sidney just smiled at her.

"Sorry, am I interrupting a family moment?"

"No, your fine. I think I am going to head back to Mario's. Thanks for dinner Karen it was great."
"Your welcome, glad you enjoyed it."

"So I'll see you in a little bit Sid?"

"Actually I was going to stay here tonight."

Karen saw the look on Troy's face "you need to get some sleep tonight so you're ready for the game tomorrow Sid. Why don't you stay at Mario's tonight?"

"We'll see where I end up, ok dad?"

"Ok. Goodnight Karen."

"Night."

Sidney walked his dad to the door and then came back to Karen who was sitting on the couch after turning on the radio. "So, you don't want me here tonight?"

"Not what I meant. I just don't want to see your dad's face tomorrow at the game with the knowing look of what we did tonight. Besides, tomorrow's game is important to put the Rangers away. You can wake up in your own bed, relax, then get ready without going from here to there. It just makes sense for tonight with the game being an afternoon one. If you played tomorrow night, then hell yeah you'd be staying."

He smiled and sat down beside her, pulling her close to him "it does make sense, I just wanted to hold you all night."

Karen looked at the clock, "well you can hold me for the next couple of hours."

"I will take what I can get." Sidney told Karen to get up and when she did, he laid down on his side and brought Karen back down to lay in front of him. She put her leg on top of his and Sidney bent his knee putting his leg inbetween hers. Karen looked at him and ran her finger over his face before kissing him. Sidney took over and deepend the kiss, pulling her as close to him as she could go.

Sidney heard the radio personality say the time was 9:30pm and knew he had to go. He didn't want to let Karen go since it felt good to be wrapped around her.

"I think we need to get up so you can head home."

"I know, I don't want to, but I know."

Karen got up and extended her hand to help Sidney up. When he did, Sidney grabbed her and continued kissing her. "You sure you want me to leave?"

"If you would have asked that an hour ago, we probably could have played around before you left."

"Now you tell me" Sidney groaned.

"It'll be ok. You'll go home and take a cold shower and I will watch something very boring."

"Is that what women do? Watch something boring to take your mind off of the feelings."

"Yeah ok, I'll go with that." Karen said and started walking to the door.

"Wait a minute, what exactly are you saying baby?"

"Guys aren't the only ones to do it, women are known to too. We can just be more discreet about it."

She walked Sidney out to the porch and he stepped down on the steps so he could look into Karen's eyes. "Do you think of me when you do it?" he whispered.

"Yes" she whispered back. "Do you think of me?"

"Always" Sidney said before kissing her again. Karen pulled away and smiled before telling him goodnight and Sidney told her the same. He walked down the steps headed back to Mario's house. Karen watched him until he was out of her sight, but smiled to herself for the feelings he brings out in her. She headed inside and decided to go to bed.

No comments: