8.13.2009

Chapter 141

It was Saturday morning and Karen had called her friends on Friday to invite them out to an early lunch before the game that night. She had everything planned and they would just head to Karen's house after they ate to watch the game. She got some things done around the house and soon it was time for her to get a shower and then meet the girls at a local restaurant.

An hour later, the four friends sat at a booth secluded away from the other tables. Since it was lunch, the restaurant wasn't crowded and could accommodate Karen's request.

"So what's with the hidden away private lunch?"

"Who says it's private?"

"Come on Karen, we're all the way in the back with no one around, something is up" Diane asked suspciously.

"Ok, well I have news and I guess I wanted the privacy to share it."

"Well what is it?" Sheril asked impatiently. Karen smiled and held up her left hand "yeah, yeah...so. We've all seen your ring that Sidney bought for you."

Diane did a double take and took her hand to look closer "um Sheril, you might want to take a closer look. There's something else with it."

"Let me see" she said grabbing her hand and pulling it across the table making Karen jump out of her seat a little.

"Ow, I do use this hand."

Sheril looked at her hand and saw another ring accompanying the diamond ring "are you shittin me? Is that what I think it is?"

"Yes. Sidney asked me to marry him and I said yes. The funny part is, we got married that same night."

"When did this happen?" Diane asked quietly.

"In April."

"APRIL!" both Diane and Sheril screamed getting the few patrons to look at them. "Wait, why aren't you saying anything Nat?"

"Because I already knew."

"I didn't mean to keep it from you guys, Nat found out not too long ago. When Sid asked me it was on our anniversary. I stayed around the arena and after everyone left, we went for a midnight skate. He asked me and after I said yes, he had everything planned to do it that night. We both decided to not were our wedding bands because we wanted to wait until after the season ended to renew our vows and then let everyone know before the start of next season. Sidney knew he couldn't keep it from the guys on the team and they all knew."

"So is that how you found out Nat?"

"Sort of but it doesn't matter. I understood why she needed to keep it quiet and I could've spilled the beans but I knew she wanted to tell you guys."

"I so wanted to tell you all after it happened, but I knew you guys would understand to why I waited."

"We do understand Karen" Diane said taking her hand.

"Of course we do" Sheril added "we know what could've happened if it got out and the backlash both you and Sid would have gotten. We are more than happy for you woman."

"Thanks guys."

"So when would the wedding be?"

"He wants it to be on his birthday but it will depend when he goes home later this month if the church is available."

"So we need to keep this to ourselves for at least two months?"

"If you guys don't mind."

"Of course not. Now all we need is to get that one" pointing to Natalie "and Max to make the jump then we all would be married."

"Ya'll need to slow down on the marriage talk with me and Max."

"It'll happen, don't worry" Diane said getting an eyebrow raised from Karen as she took a drink.

"What was that look for?" Natalie asked her friend.

"What look?" Karen said trying to be nice.

"Karen don't. Do you not see Max and I together like that?"

"Nat, I just don't see Max as the marrying kind. I love him to death and you know that but he attracts every type of woman and if he settles down, it's not going to be for a long time. I don't want to see your hopes get crushed."

"I know you have my best interest at heart Kiki but I'm not ready for marriage anytime soon. If we're together long enough then maybe it would be nice but I'm fine just dating him right now."

"I hope it does work out for you guys. I'd have to shun him if he ever dumped you."

"I think we all would." The girls shared a laugh and enjoyed the rest of their lunch. They stayed around talking and drinking a little bit then headed back to Karen's house. It was a couple hours until the game started and they sat around watching all the pre-game shows. Everytime they showed Sidney or talked about him, Karen couldn't help but smile. She knew she loved him, she just didn't really realize how bad. She looked down at the wedding band and hated to take it off but didn't want to draw attention to it. Some people have caught on that she was dating him, she didn't need to give them a reason to wonder more.

It was finally game time and from start to finish, to say the girls were shocked would be an understatement. The Wings had routed the Penguins 5-0 and put a thought of fear in every Pens fan wonering if this is where the series ends. Karen didn't know what to think by the loss and wondered even more by what Sidney had to be thinking.

"I can't believe this game was so lopsided" Sheril said still shocked.

"I know. I wonder what the guys are thinking" Natalie said.

"I don't know but Sidney will be going around with this in his head all the way home."

"Wait, there's Sidney now talking to the press." Karen just watched his facial expressions more then hearing what he had to say. She knew he knew how to handle the press and answer without any emotions but she could see it was hard to keep it in. Karen went to get her phone and sent Sidney a text before his interview was over. When they cut back to the post game highlights, Karen's phone went off.

Hey baby...sorry

you ok?

yeah, can't wait to get home and have you hold me to forget tonight

I can provide other comfort too you know :)

I may need that too. going to get my shower so I'll see you in a few hours

ok. I love you!

mmm, I needed to hear that. I love you too

Karen shut her phone and then said goodnight to Diane and Sheril. She told them they were more than welcome to stay but they knew under the circumstances, it would be better if they left. She understood and watched her friends leave. Natalie had stayed around for another hour before heading to Max's to hopefully make him feel better.

Around 1:30a, Karen heard a car pull up and she got off the couch, looking out the window. She saw Sidney's SUV but no sign of him. She knew he was just sitting in the car and went out to see him. Karen knocked on the window and Sidney didn't look at her, just made the move to put the window down.

"It's a little more comfortable in the house but if you prefer to stay out here, I can go get you a pillow and blanket." Karen thought she saw him crack a smile and went on "of course if you come inside, you can spend the night with a naked woman."

Sidney turned his head and looked at her "but you're not naked."

"That's because there's a law against that in public. You have to come in and see it since it's for your eyes only."

"I'll be in, in a minute."

"Sid..." Karen started.

"Baby please. I just need another couple minutes."

"Ok" she said leaning in the window to kiss his cheek then walked back into the house.

A few minutes later, Sidney walked inside and went over to the couch to sit beside Karen. She reached for the remote to turn off the tv and they just sat there in silence. She didn't want to say the wrong things and waited for Sidney to start the conversation.

"I can't believe we played that badly tonight. It was like we, as a group said goodbye to the Cup for the second straight year."

"Sid, it's not over yet."

"Maybe not but it feels like it. You watched the game, what did you think?"

"I think coming off the two wins here made you guys too confident about the rest of the series and Detroit brought you guys back down to reality that it's not over yet but could be in a blink of an eye. They just got a surge of energy from their fans Sid. Tuesday night is a different game in a different arena. You proved that you CAN win in Detroit this year...you just have to do that for one game."

"What if we don't get that one last game?"

Karen turned his head to look at her and she saw the tears forming "then you and the guys need to dig deep and go out to make that happen on Tuesday. This team has been through it all this year going up and down and you guys fought to make the playoffs. Fight to keep this series alive and show the world you guys are the better team this year. Your fans already know you are."

"How do you do that?" he said almost laughing.

"Do what?"

"Be this right about everything."

"I just thought I was telling you the truth."

"Yeah you were, hence the being right part."

"Do you want me to sit here and gloat about it?"

"It's not your style. Thank you baby."

"Anytime stud. Why don't we forget this night and head up to bed. You look like you need some sleep."

"I don't want to disappoint my number 1 fan by falling asleep on her."

"Don't worry about her, she understands" she said getting up and pulling him with her "besides, she wants you to save it all for Tuesday night." Karen grabbed his hand and they headed upstairs. She got into bed and waited for Sidney to change and join her.

"If you weren't here Karen, I would be up all night picking apart the game" he said holding her close to his body.

"You're still going to do that stud, I'm just here to make it easier."

"You know me too well baby."

"Remember that for the future, now try and get some sleep." Karen curled up against him as close as she could get as Sidney tightened his grip around her. She feel asleep instantly but Sidney took a few more minutes before he could let everything go and close his eyes.

A little later, Sunday morning, Karen woke up and felt for Sidney. He wasn't beside her and she had a feeling he went to work out. The loss rattled his mind about thinking the team could really win the Cup and she knew he needed to clear his mind. Karen got up and went to get ready to spend the day with Sidney when he got back.

Two hours later, Karen heard a car pull up and saw it was Max with Natalie.

"Well finally, a hockey player who actually knows what a day off is."

"I figured instead of him sitting around contemplating what went wrong, the four of us would get together and do something fun to take their minds off the loss."

"You couldn't find something to do to take your mind off it Max?" Karen said smiling.

"We tried that last night and this morning but it's still there. Where's Sid?"

"Where do you think? I'm sure there's ice involved somewhere." They sat around talking until Sidney finally came home a half hour later.

"Hey Max, Nat. What are you guys doing here?" he said going over to give Karen a kiss and sit down beside her.

"I brought Max over for a playdate."

"Thanks but this is my only playmate" he said putting his arm around Karen.

"Someone's feeling better."

"A few hundred slap shots into the net will do that. So are we doing something today?"

"Might as well before coach puts us through a grueling practice tomorrow" Max said.

"What do you guys want to do?"

"I have an idea" Karen said getting everyone to look at her "let's go someplace that's peaceful but with lots to do."

"Where?" Sidney asked curious.

"Let's head to Barkcamp State Park. We can go swimming, hiking, maybe even go horseback riding."

"What's Barkcamp?" Max asked confused.

"It's this state park in Ohio that Karen and I would go to as kids. It's out of the way and no one should recognize you. Come on Max, let's go have some fun."

"Sure, why not."

"Sid?"

"I don't think there's any other place I'd rather go today baby. Let's get ready." Karen took Natalie upstairs so she could pick out a bathing suit to wear. Max said he would swim in his shorts and waited for everyone to get ready. Twenty minutes later, they all piled into Sidney's SUV and headed on their trip.

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

wow 2 great chapters in one day? you spoil us. keep them coming and i hope to see some updates to your other story as well, i'm miss reading it. But none the less... freakin' awesome job!

Val said...

I'm with Caitlin - love the two great chapters in one day and update your other one when you can...great chapter and I am glad that Karen is there to keep Sid's mind off of an ugly game.

Cathy said...

Great chapter! Hope they all have a relaxing day at the park to get their mind off the loss! Love this story so much!