1.10.2010

Chapter 165

The next morning, Karen woke up to the sun shining into the bedroom and got up, getting some clothes on and heading downstairs. She made some coffee and went out on the back patio to sit down to enjoy it. A few minutes later, she heard a noise in the kitchen and soon Max had joined her on the patio.

"I didn’t think you would be the first one up?"

"The joy of not getting hangovers no matter how much I drink, the next morning is just the start of a normal day.

"Well Nat should be out for a few more hours."

"I’m sure the alcohol isn’t the only reason."

"What?" he asked seeing Karen sitting there smiling at him.

"She’s good for you Max. I hope this isn’t some fling where you decide on someone else next season."

"I don’t think there’s anyone out there that could make me feel the way she does."

"I know she’s a lot happier since you two finally got together. Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure, go ahead."

"Do you know who Chrissie is?"

Max’s eyes got wide and remembered what Sidney briefly told him in the limo last night "no, not really. Where did that name come from?"

"I heard Sidney say it and wondered who she was."

"I think she was one of the strippers from last night."

"I figured as much."

"Don’t look too much into it Kiki. We had all been drinking heavily and she just stuck in his mind. He loves you."

"I’m not going to go call off the wedding because he went to see some strippers Max. I was just curious who she was."

"Well from what he told me, you have nothing to worry about." Max got up and went back inside leaving Karen to her own thoughts. She loved and trusted Sidney but there would always be that someone his own age taking him away from her that always plagued the back of her mind. Karen shook the thought from her head and went inside to find something to eat. Instead of making breakfast just for her, she knew the smell of food would bring them all out, so she made food for an army.

Ten minutes later when Karen was done cooking, everyone seemed to have woken up and adjourned into the kitchen. She just smiled and put the food on the table. Karen put the pans back on top of the stove and turned around right into Sidney's arms.

"Morning baby" he said before kissing her.

"Morning stud" she said after breaking the kiss. They sat down and ate breakfast with everyone else.

"So what’s the plan for today?" Max asked.

"Well tonight is the rehearsal dinner and then afterwards I have to be without this beautiful woman until tomorrow afternoon."

"So then today is whatever we want to do?"

"I figured we would just hang out by the water and go swimming."

"Good way to work on my tan so I look even better in my dress."

"Is your dress in that big bag hanging in the guest room’s closet all the way in the back?"

"Sidney Patrick Crosby I swear to God if you even looked at that dress I will kill you now" Karen said in a serious tone.

Sidney smiled and kissed her temple "I never looked baby, I knew what it was and left it alone. I want to be surprised tomorrow."

"Don’t do that to me" she said glaring at him then smiling before going back to eat.

"Well it’s not like the bad luck would follow if he did" Natalie said.

"That is true and you’re lucky Crosby."

"Only when it comes to you baby" he said putting his arm around her shoulders and lightly squeezing. They finished eating and went to get their bathing suits on. Karen was in the bathroom tying her top when Sidney came walking in. "Tell me you’re not mad about me joking about looking at your dress."

"I’m not mad. It was a bad joke at that but I’m not mad" she said then walked out into the bedroom.

"What’s going on? Is something else wrong?"

"Nope" she said and kissed him "I’m heading out back."

"I’ll be out in a few minutes" he said watching her leave the room. Sidney got his suit on and went out to join everyone. He saw Max starting to walk out the door when he caught him. "Did you say anything to Karen about last night?"

"Didn’t have to man."

"What do you mean?"

"I think you might want to go ask her" Max said and went to jump off the dock to swim around with Natalie.

Sidney saw Karen lying on the lounger and went over to her. Karen saw him walking towards her and grabbed her lotion "will you put the lotion on my back stud?"

"Of course I will." Sidney sat on the edge of the lounger once Karen turned over and poured some lotion in his hand, then rubbing it on her back. "Baby, is there something you found out about that you need to ask me?"

Karen closed her eyes before speaking "who’s Chrissie?" She felt Sidney stop rubbing on her skin for a second before starting up again.

"Where did you hear that name? Did Max say something to you?"

"No, you said her name last night before you fell asleep." Karen didn’t want to actually say when he said it and would only if he asked. "Who is she, one of the strippers from last night?"

"Ok first of all, it wasn’t my idea to go and second, she was a girl I knew way back in juniors and hadn’t seen since the night I got drafted to the NHL."

"Did anything happen between you two?" Karen felt Sidney’s hands leave her back and saw him get up before she turned around. A sickness hit her stomach and prayed four words did not leave his lips.

"We were about to leave when she came up and asked who was the last night bachelor. The guys stepped aside and when we saw each other it brought back old times. She said that I was owed a lap dance on the house and I didn’t want to go with her but the guys coaxed me into it. We went to this private area and she did what she did."

"Why does it sound like that’s not all that happened?"

Sidney kneeled down infront of her and took her hands into his "it’s not what you think baby. As she was doing her thing, she leaned back and we kissed. After a minute or two, I pushed her off and got up to leave. I just got caught up in it and with all alcohol it just happened. I’m so sorry baby, really."

Karen sat there and looked at the sincerity in his eyes knowing he hated what happened "you only kissed her?"

"I know it’s bad and I should’ve gone on first instinct and left like we were going to but it happened and when she kissed me, I knew it was wrong."

"Was there any feelings between you two after you kissed?"

"Maybe a little. I had the biggest crush on her during juniors and it did bring back those feelings, but only for a minute."

"Had to have been longer than a minute for you to whisper her name before you fell asleep."

"Karen…"

"It’s fine Sid, really. I can look past a kiss under those circumstances" she said looking down.

"Baby, it’s going to take a lot from someone to get me to forget about you. If you believe I cheated then I will live with that."

"Sid, stop" she said getting up "there’s something you should know." Karen knew it was time to tell him about Ryan.

"What?"

"When I came up here, I stopped in a couple cities along the way, mainly to find a dress, but I did stop in
Boston and found myself going to see someone."

"Who did you see?"

"Whit."

"You went to see Whitter?" he asked somewhat confused.

"I was in the area and wanted to see how he was. It was a shock for all of us when he got traded and I never really got to say goodbye to him. So I found his apartment and stayed to talk to him for a while."

"Did something happen?"

"When I went to leave the next morning I opened the door and he stopped me from going. I went to open the door again but he grabbed it and then kissed me. I was shocked that he did it when he said he was over his feelings for me. I pushed him back, told him goodbye and left."

"Were you going to tell me this?"

"If you didn’t whisper her name for me to act weird, would you have told me?"

"Probably not."

"Sid, if they both didn’t mean anything then we can get past this, right?" Karen asked worried.

"The only thing that worries me is how Ryan still feels about you."

"From the kiss I think some feelings are still apparently there from him. I still think of him as a friend and nothing more. I made it known that I'm in love with you."

"Well Chrissie doesn’t even rank that high" he said wrapping his arms around her. "So we both had an indiscretion huh?"

"At least we both know we can stop ourselves."

"I think our love for each other did that baby. I’m sorry."

"I’m sorry too" she said as their lips met.

"I think I am going to join Max in the lake and let you get back to tanning yourself."

"Nah, I think I could go for a swim too."

"Well then let’s go" he said picking her up and heading to the dock. When he got to the edge, he kissed Karen and jumped in with her in his arms. They both came up laughing and playing around with the others.

A few hours later, everyone got ready and headed to the church for the rehearsal. There really wasn’t much to rehearse as it was just going to be a simple ceremony for everyone else to hear their vows to each other.
They left the church an hour later and went to a restaurant for dinner. Karen was shocked to see a lot more people at the dinner including Mario and Nathalie with the kids, some more players with their wives or girlfriends, and a lot of Sidney’s family.

"How about we just call this the reception since everyone is here?" Karen whispered to Sidney.

"I guess they all wanted to come out before the wedding to celebrate too." Sidney got the attention of the room and made a little speech before dinner. "I want to thank everyone for coming to join us tonight. I know Karen and I appreciate the love and support you all have for us. We are here to have fun for tomorrow is when I get to officially have this beautiful woman in my life from now to eternity." Karen smiled as the crowd let out a huge aww.

"So we stop having fun after tomorrow?" Karen said standing beside him.

"Well the new season is only a little more than a month away."

"Then no more fun is right" she said pouting.

"I think you guys will still manage to have fun during the season" Max yelled out from the crowd as everyone laughed.

"I’m surprised Sheril didn’t think of that first."

"Be thankful for that" she told him smiling.

"Anyway, everyone have fun and enjoy the night." They all toasted to the couple and went through a buffet for dinner. An hour later, Karen and Sidney made their way around the room to talk to everyone. Karen had found Mario and pulled him away to talk to him.

"I was hoping I could talk you into something."

"Should I be scared?"

"No, of course not."

"What can I do for you Karen?"

"Would you walk me down the aisle tomorrow? You have been a great friend and sometimes like a father to me when I needed some advice, I would love it if you did this for me."

"I would be nothing more than honored Karen." She hugged him before they went back to the party. Sidney saw them come back and asked but Karen just smiled and told him he would see tomorrow.

Karen continued to walk around the room and saw Taylor standing by the bar, watching everyone when she saw Karen walk up.

"Hey Tay, having fun?"

"Yeah, it's like a huge family reunion."

"Well this is the biggest family I have ever been involved with" she said as they both laughed. "I had heard you were kind of disappointed that I wasn't going to have bridemaids."

"I thought I could have been one, but it's your wedding so your choice."

"I didn't feel the need since we're already married, but I was thinking..."

"Yeah..."

"If I know your brother, he'll have thousands of flowers waiting for me in the bridal room of the church and I was thinking that if you wanted to, totally your decision, but if you wanted to pick off some of the petals and go before me down the aisle..."

"You mean I could be the flower girl?" she said excitedly.

"I would love it if you would be."

"Yes, I will do it. Sidney said you were going to ask me and I had been waiting forever."

"I told Sid to not say anything until I had a chance to ask you myself." Just then Karen saw Sidney walk towards them "hey, play along will you." Taylor just nodded her head.

"So here is my beautiful bride" he said kissing her head "hey Tay. Did you ask her yet?"

"Ask me what?" Taylor said.

"Karen was going to ask you to be the flower girl."

"You are?"

"Well I was, but the more I thought about it I don't need one."

"Baby..."

"You said she would let me do it Sid, how could you lie to me?" Taylor said getting upset.

"I wasn't lying, baby you said you were going to let her."

"Well I changed my mind."

"How could you do that?"

"The same way I asked you to not say anything to her." Sidney looked between her and Taylor and realized he's been had. "Everything's cool and she's going to do it but you little sneak jumped the gun and told her."

"Sorry baby, I just mentioned it to her that you might have one..."

"That is not what he said Karen. He told me straight out you were going to ask me to be the flower girl and to be surprised when you asked" Taylor said getting a look from Sidney and sticking her tongue out at him getting a laugh from Karen.

"I think I can handle it from here Tay."

"Ok, I'll do what you told me tomorrow" she said then walked away.

"So are you mad?" Sidney asked.

"Yes I am" Karen said then turned to the bartender and ordered a drink.

"Ok, so I screwed up. She was upset thinking she wasn't going to be apart of the wedding so I spilled the beans."

"Well, at least your honest about it." Karen got her drink and kissed him passionately before going back around the room to visit people.

The dinner lasted another two hours and everyone began to leave sparingly. Sidney had grabbed Karen’s hand and taken her to a private part of the restaurant.

"I wish we could spend tonight together."

"Me too but I think your mom wants some things traditional about this wedding."

"We’re already married we should be able to be together tonight."

"Think about it this way stud, after tomorrow we will never have a reason to sleep apart again."

"Away games notwithstanding."

Karen laughed "yes, with the exception of away games. I love you."

"I love you too baby. I can’t wait for tomorrow when we can wear our rings where they belong" he said picking up the wedding bands from her necklace.

"Well it wasn’t like we could wear them normally and not have people catch on."

"I know and thank you for going along with it."

"It was a way to be married to you and keep all my other boyfriends too."

"Sorry baby, but after tomorrow, no more boyfriends."

"Fine. How about the occasional affairs when you go on a long road trip?"

"How about a lot more phone sex to accommodate that instead?"

"That’s a good compromise stud."

"Well I kind of like to think we need to do it every away game."

"Is that right?" Karen said laughing but then got serious "I will miss you tonight."

"I’ll miss you too baby." Sidney brought her closer and their lips met for a very heated kiss…until they were interrupted.

"Hey you two save some for tomorrow" Trina said coming out to find them.

"Can’t help it mom, I love this woman too much to ever stop kissing her."

"Well you need to stop and head home with Max and your dad."

"Sorry, but I don’t think I will be able to leave her tonight" he said tightening his grip on her waist.

"Sidney, don’t make me drag you to the car myself."

"You better do what she says stud I don’t want my mother-in-law to take it out on me tonight."

"What do you think she’ll do to you?"

"I don’t know but I want a good night’s sleep…not sleep with one eye open."

"Alright you two, hush. Say goodnight to your bride and head home with your dad." Trina shook her head smiling at the two and left them alone.

"You sure you want to be a part of this family?"

"Shouldn’t that have been a question back in April?"

"Nope wanted you to say yes to me back then."

"And the difference now is what?"

"No difference, just wanted to make sure you still wanted to be part of this family."

"I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Your family is just a tag-a-long that we get to see only so often."

"Think back to last year and this year’s playoffs and say that again."

"I think your dad means well Sid. He’s living his hockey dreams through you. Maybe since you’ve won the
cup, he’ll back off a little this coming year."

"Don’t think so. Besides working out and going to camp for the Olympics, he’s lined up a lot of things for me because of winning the cup this year."

"Not like you wouldn’t have been in demand anyway."

"Well, after tomorrow I told him for one week before heading to Calgary I am doing nothing but spending time with you."

"Oh wow, a whole week with just me? I don’t know how I am going to be able to handle all this attention."

"You’ll be able to handle it and a whole lot more baby."

"I can’t wait. I love you Sidney."

"I love you too Karen." They shared one last kiss before they walked back in to depart ways.

Karen got to Sidney’s house with Sheril, Diane and Natalie. Trina would join them a little later with Taylor. After a couple hours, Karen sat in the living room with minimal lights on when everyone else went to bed. She thought about the time from when she first met Sidney and everything they’ve been through. She let a few tears escape when she thought about when they broke up and wasn’t sure if they would have gotten back together. Karen let a smile form when she remembered Sidney surprising her at center ice with the preacher and how tomorrow was just a formality for his family and her friends. She managed to get up and head to bed an hour later.

1 comment:

Val said...

Very glad that they 'fessed up to each other, and this was a really sweet chapter...