2.09.2009

Chapter 90

After their nap, they got up and got ready to go to the arena. When they got there, Sidney took her and Natalie to the suites and Karen gave him a kiss for good luck before he left to go back down to the locker room. Natalie and Karen got comfortable and waited until the game to start. When the game got going, Karen heard a familiar voice and smiled seeing who it was.

"Are you travelling with the team now Karen?"

"Mario" she said getting up and giving him a hug "not really, only when I get a day off. You know I can't stay away."

"You mean you can't stay away from Sidney" he said smiling, letting her go.

"Can't help it. So what about you? I didn't think you went to all the away games."

"I don't, but just felt like coming out for one. Who'd you bring with you?"

"I'm sorry, I don't know if you've ever met my friend Natalie" she said introducing them.

"I'm sure I'll remember that name. It's nice that you came to join her Natalie."

"Well I had another purpose, I'm kind of dating Max."

Mario looked at Karen "it wasn't my doing" she said with a smile.

"Well Max has a very pursuasive personality." Karen and Natalie just smiled at the comment. "Why don't you guys sit down, have fun and enjoy the game" Mario said before walking off.

The game went on and Mario came back to sit with the girls. At one time, he noticed Karen was wearing a very distinctive diamond ring on the finger only meant for engagement and wedding rings. He didn't want to say anything with everyone around and decided he should ask Sidney about it first. When the game was over, the Pens lost 4-2 and Sidney was held without a point. Karen and Natalie waited in the box until the guys would be ready to go. They headed down to the locker room and Natalie found Max. Karen knew Sidney would be 10 minutes behind everyone else and went to find him. He was in the locker room, dressed and sitting in his stall.

"Hey" she said softly walking up to him.

"Hey baby" he said pulling her down on his lap. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see if you were almost done. The bus is ready to go back to the hotel."

"Ok."

Sidney got up and grabbed her hand, but she stopped him "you ok?"

"Yeah, I just wish I knew why we aren't winning."

"Baby, the wins will come. You have to believe that."

"I do believe that. They just need to come soon" he said kissing her head then going out to the bus.

When they got back to the hotel, they each got changed and Karen saw Sidney sitting on the bed. She knew he didn't want to talk about the game and wanted to get his mind of of it.

"What time are you guys flying out tomorrow?"

"Probably around 9am."

"Our flight is at 6am, so I'll just meet you at home after you get in" she said getting her things together.

"Why don't you just fly home with me?"

"Because I'm not part of the team. We'll both be home tomorrow, just one before the other."

"I don't understand why you just can't come back with me?" he said getting angry.

"Why is this an issue?"

"Because you're my fucking girlfriend that's why" he said yelling at her.

Karen took a deep breath "so basically since I am dating you, I should just feel privileged and take all the perks that come along with dating Sidney Crosby? Sorry but this relationship doesn't work that way. I am not about to lose my individuality by going to the arena on game days, sit away from my friends to snob around with all the other girlfriends or wives that don't seem to care about being at the damn game anyway. I am not going to give up my job, stay at home and see what credit card you leave for me on the night stand to go shopping to fill my days while you're at the arena or off doing sponsor related things."

"I never said that's what I wanted."

"You never said you didn't want it either" Karen said then walked out the door. She had to get away from him for a few minutes before things really got said they didn't want to say. Karen walked down to the lobby and outside to get a breath of fresh air or a few minutes. When she came back in, she went to the bar and sat down in the back. Karen didn't realize that a couple of the guys were down there and was soon joined by Jordan.

"Karen? What are you doing down here and by yourself?" he asked looking around and not seeing Sidney.

"Sid and I just had a fight and I shouldn't have pushed it knowing the mood he was in from losing tonight but when he said what he said I just told him what I felt."

"What was the fight about?"

"I asked what time you guys were flying out, he told me then I told him that Nat and I were heading out earlier and that I would see him when he got in. He asked why I couldn't just fly back with the team, told him that I wasn't part of the team and why it was an issue."

"He probably just wanted you with him but I see where you're coming from too. You don't want to seem like you're getting all the benefits of dating him."

"Exactly. I love him and love being with him but I need to keep my individuality. I didn't start dating him because of who he is and I never wanted to just be his girlfriend."

"Look, he's got more pressure on him than the rest of us because he's the captain and I'm sure he didn't mean what he said."

"I know he didn't." Karen let out a huge sigh "I just don't want him to hate me with what I said to him."

"He can't hate you Kiki, he loves you too much. Why don't you go up and talk to him? It'll make you both feel better" Jordan said before rejoining the others at the bar. Karen sat there for another minute then headed upstairs. She got to his room and realized she didn't grab the key card. Karen was going to knock but decided to sit down outside the room.

Sidney was inside of the room going crazy. He didn't mean to yell at her or start up the same argument about her being around him 24/7. He wanted her around him more than anything but he knew she wasn't the kind of girl who would give up her life for a guy. She was special and he didn't want to lose that. He picked up his cell phone and called her, thankful she answered.

"Hello."

"Baby, where are you?" he said with obvious desperation in his voice.

"I'm sitting outside the door. I kind of forgot the key card." Karen heard footsteps then the door opened revealing Sidney.

"Why didn't you just knock for me to let you in?"

"I didn't know if you wanted to see me yet" she said looking at the floor.

"Baby" Sidney said sitting down beside her "I'm sorry for yelling at you. I never, ever wanted it to come out that way."

"I know and I'm sorry too. I just need you to understand why I can't be what you want me to be."

"I do understand baby and I know I never said I wanted you to be that type of woman, but there are sometimes that's all I want."

"What are you talking about?"

Sidney turned and faced her, making sure the door didn't close "I see how Vero is with Flower when I've been around them and you're at work, all I can think about is how I have another hour or so to wait to see you."

"But the point is, you still get to see me. I changed my routine so I am commuting to and from work everyday, for you. Why can't that be enough right now?"

"It is enough baby" Sidney said caressing her cheek as she looked at him "I'm just being selfish because I want to spend all my non hockey time with you."

Karen couldn't stop the smile that spread on her face "is that what nickname you gave us 'non hockey time'?"

"Well I didn't think 'slap shot with a hockey stick' sounded to appropriate." When Sidney said that, Karen could help but laugh "but you know that does sound more like us."

"Yeah it does" she smiled and Sidney leaned in to kiss her only to be interrupted by the crowd of 'awws' from down the hall. Karen looked past Sidney and saw almost the whole team standing there watching them. She saw them head back into their rooms laughing at them. Sidney got up and helped Karen up, going into their room. He pulled her into his body and just held her. Karen melted into his arms.

"Come on, we need to get you to bed. You have an early flight tomorrow."

"Please tell me you understand why I don't want to fly home with you" Karen asked looking in his eyes.

"I do baby. I know all the team loves you and doesn't mind you being around all the time, but I think someone higher up might see problems brewing if it keeps going and I can't be selfish to always want you with me at away games. I love when you surprise me and come to games, but you and I both need to do what we need to. Of course if you weren't so stubborn to have this ambition to work, we wouldn't have this problem."

"I've had this ambition for a long time doesn't mean I'm stubborn stud. But speaking of higher ups, I caught Mario looking at my ring and he had a confused look on his face."

"Should I expect a lecture soon?"

"I don't know but I'm sure he'll say something, especially if he thinks it means the opposite of what it does."

"I'm going to have to talk to him before my parents come down so he doesn't say anything to them before we're ready."

"What do you mean we? I'm not getting involved in that conversation."

"Oh I think you are baby. I want you front and center with that ring on when WE tell them."

"Damn, just when they were starting to like me too."

Sidney smiled and kissed her forehead "Sorry but if I could tell my dad we're living together, we can tell them about this."

"Fine, but I'm hiding behind you."

"Deal. Let's go to bed baby."

A few hours later, the alarm rang at 3am and Karen got up to get ready. A half hour later, she emerged from the bathroom dressed and ready to go. She was shocked to see Sidney dressed and sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Why are you up Sid?"

"What, you think I was letting you go to the airport alone?" Sidney said getting up to hug her.

"I love you."

"I love you too baby. Come on, we need to go."

They left the room and headed downstairs. They saw Natalie and Max standing and waiting by the door.

"And I thought I had the wonderful boyfriend who got up with me."

"Well you know Karen, I am the master of surprises" Max said holding Natalie.

"I don't know about that Max, I think I can give you a run for your money" Sidney said as he held on to Karen.

"I hate to break up this little bit of machoism to see who's the best boyfriend, but we need to get to the airport" Karen said breaking away from Sidney and getting her bag. They got a cab and made their way to the airport. The girls checked in as the guys waited on them. When they came back, Sidney took Karen aside to say his goodbye as Max did the same with Natalie.

Sidney wrapped his arms around Karen and kissed her as he pulled her close. "Ok, I'm going to be selfish and tell you I don't want you to go."

"Then I guess I need to be stubborn and tell you sorry stud, but I need to go." Karen saw the look on his face "we'll see each other in a few hours."

"I know, but that's a few more hours I could be holding you."

"I'm surprised that you didn't try to have an early morning romp before we left."

"Don't worry, I'm saving that for when I get home so you might want to prepare yourself."

"I'll do my special exercises."

"You have special exercises?"

"Have you been disappointed in any of our escapades?"

"Nope."

"Now you know why."

"You are going to make these next few hours hard on me huh?"

"Absolutely stud." Karen leaned in and kissed him "I got to go."

"I know" Sidney whispered. "Call me after you land?"

"By the time I land, you will be getting ready to leave."

"Then you need to call as soon as you touch down and taxi to the terminal."

"Ok, I will." Karen saw Natalie pull away from Max and motion for her "I'll see you in a few hours." Sidney just nodded and then kissed her again before letting her go. She met up with Natalie and went through security. They turned around and waved at the guys again before heading to their gate.

"Tell me it's suppose to get better being apart from her Max."

Max put his hand on Sidney's shoulder "it does, but if you didn't miss her so much it means you don't really love her."

Sidney shot his friend a smile and they got a cab and went back to the hotel.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww this is too cute!
and it's on valentines day!
i can't wait to see what their valentines day is like
=)

Caitlin said...

Aww that last part made me cry. I loved it, and I can't wait for when they both are "back home."

Val said...

Loved the chapter, loved that she stood up for herself, and loved that he realized the error of his ways...fab, as usual!

Lauren said...

I loved that she's not willing to be 'just his girlfriend' and they are too cute together about being apart for a few hours!