11.01.2008

Chapter 41

It had been two days since the Stanley Cup finals with the Penguins losing. Karen had not seen or heard from Sidney since game 6. She had tried calling and texting him but he was ignoring all of them. All she wanted was something back that he was doing ok since the loss. Karen knew he’d be going home sometime within the next couple days and hoped she got to see him before he left. She understood what he was dealing with losing the ultimate prize in hockey he just hadn’t utilized her yet. Karen was brought out of her thoughts when her phone rang. She looked at the caller ID and was a little disappointed when it wasn’t Sidney.

“Hello.”

“Hey girl, what’s up?”

“Nothing really. What are you guys up to?”

“Well, we are planning a trip there for someone’s birthday and wanted to see if the doting boyfriend had any plans to contradict what we want to do.”

“I don’t think Sid has anything planned considering the fact I don’t think he knows my birthday is coming up. We’ve never talked about it and he’s never really asked me when it was.”

“Why didn’t you tell him?”

“Stacy, you know I am not one to make a big deal out of my birthdays. We’ve only been seeing each other for a couple months I can let this one slip. Besides, I don’t think he’s in a partying mood since the finals.”

“What’s going on Karen? You don’t seem happy.”

“Because I’m not. He hasn’t talked, called, or stop by to see me since the game. I’m just worried about him and with him not answering any of my calls or texts, it scares me that he’s shutting me out when I can help him through this.”

“Have you actually gone to see him?”

“No” Karen sighs.

“Well there’s the problem. Go see him in person and then he’ll have to deal with you.”

“I know he’s at the arena today cleaning out his locker and being with the team. Maybe I’ll head over in a little bit and talk to Nathalie and wait for him to get home.”

“Sounds like a plan man. Anyway, the crew and I will be in town tomorrow and I have already reserved Pops for the 8th.”

“But my birthday is on the 9th.”

“Duh, I know that. We are going to start the party around 10p and by the time midnight rolls around, we will be in the swing of things for your true birthday.”

“I can’t wait Stacy. Do I need to do anything?”

“Nope, we called Sheril and Diane and they are taking care of some of your work and other friends, so the guest list is good to go. Is there any other players you want to invite?”

“Unless either of us talk to Sidney and he could let the guys know. I just don’t know how long most of them will still be in town in the next couple of days.”

“Well let me know what’s going on your end and if I can do anything I will try my best.”

“I know you will. See you guys tomorrow and have a safe trip in.”

“We will.”

They hung up and Karen decided to get some things done.

A couple of hours later, Karen walked up to the Lemieux house and knocked on the door.

“Karen, what a nice surprise. Come in.” Nathalie greeted her.

“Thanks. I was wondering if Sidney was home yet.”

“Sorry, he’s not back from the arena yet. Would you like to come in and wait for him?”

“Do you mind? If you’re busy I can come back.”

“Don’t be silly girl, get in here and keep me company.”

Karen walked in and they headed to the living room to talk.

“You ok?” Nathalie asked her.

“Is Sidney doing ok since their loss?”

“He’s been moping around, but that’s to be expected. He’ll bounce back.”

“I know he will, but he’s been either avoiding or ignoring my calls and it has me worried about him.”

“I’m sure he’s ok. I know he’s been talking to Mario about it so I’m sure he’s not shutting you out on purpose.”

“Yeah, let’s hope.”

They sat and continued to talk when they heard a car pull up. A few minutes later, Sidney walked in and saw Karen sitting, talking to Nathalie. He put his bag down and Nathalie excused herself to let them talk.

“Hey.”

“Hey. What are you doing here?”

Karen tried to hide her disappointment knowing that wasn’t the greeting she hoped for. “I wanted to see how you were doing since I haven’t talked to you in a couple of days.”

“I’m fine as you can see” he says looking at the floor. “If there’s nothing else, I need to get ready. The whole team is meeting for dinner tonight.”

“No, there’s nothing else” Karen says as she walks past him and out the door.

Sidney felt bad for being cold towards her and he wanted to just run after her, but he was mad at himself for coming so close to winning the cup and letting it slip through his fingers. He knew Karen wouldn’t have lectured him on ‘there’s always next year’ or breakdown everything the team did wrong, she would have just sat there and listened to him vent about it. Sidney picked up his bag and went to his room to get ready.

Karen couldn’t stop the tears that ran down her face as she walked inside the house. She managed to hold them in before she got to the house, but now she just let them fall. The one thing Karen didn’t want to happen did, he shut her out when out of anyone she could help him through this. She sat down on the couch and wondered if this was how it was going to be until he got back in September.

The next couple of days went by and Karen pretended nothing was wrong around her friends. It was going on 9pm and they were getting ready for her birthday party at Pops.

“So, Is Sidney coming tonight?”

“No. I didn’t tell him about it and he’s probably heading home right now, so don’t worry about it.”

Karen walked out of the room and Stacy went to grab her cell phone. She called Sidney to see where he was and was surprised that he actually answered.

“Hello.”

“Hey Sid. This is Stacy, Karen’s friend.”

“Oh, what’s up?”

“Well, we are throwing Karen a birthday party tonight at Pops and I was hoping you would come and celebrate it with her since you are dating her and everything.”

“Really? She never said anything to me about it.”

“Maybe you never gave her a chance to. Anyway, can you make it tonight? I know she wants you there.”

“I am actually at the airport. My dad and I are heading home and we board in a half hour.”

“So that’s it? This is how you’re going to leave with things like this between you two? She deserves better than that Sid. Karen loves you and from what she’s told me, you love her too. Doesn’t that count for something?”

“Just tell her happy birthday for me and I’ll call her in a couple of days.”

“Whatever Sid.”

Stacy hung up the phone and threw it on the bed. She didn’t know how or if she should tell Karen but she was going to make sure she had fun tonight.

Sidney shut his phone and put his head in his hands.

“Everything ok Sid?” Troy asked

"No dad, everything is not ok. Apparently it’s Karen’s birthday and here I am leaving her to go home."

"Did you know it was her birthday?"

“No, but it just goes with everything I did to her these last few days. I’ve shut her out and when she came over to see me, I was so cold towards her. I never wanted to do that to her.”

“I’m sure she’ll understand that you need to get home and unwind.”

“I’m hoping you’ll understand more that I need to go see her.” Sidney got up and walked over to the counter to see if he could book a flight for another day.

“Sidney? We are about to board just call her when you get home.”

“It’s not that simple dad. I’ve hurt her by not talking to her and I can’t leave for two months without making this right.”

“Here you go Mr. Crosby we booked you on a flight Tuesday June 10th at 3p.”

"Thank you. Dad I know you don’t like Karen, but I love her and I need to see her. Please get my bags and when I get home, I will come by and get them, ok?"

“Ok”

Sidney put his new ticket in his bag and took off through the airport. He made his way outside and found a taxi to take him to Pops.

Karen had made her way through the crowd of friends, hugging and laughing with them. She made her way to the bar and Pops had a drink waiting for her. Taking her drink, Karen just looked out into the sea of people and wished Sidney was there. She smiled when she saw Stacy coming towards her.

“Why aren’t you out there dancing?”

“Taking a little breather” holding up her glass. “I can’t believe you got everybody here for this.”

“I just wish I got the one you really want to see.”

“What do you mean?”

“When I called Sidney, he was already at the airport waiting to board the plane. I’m sorry Karen, he’s not coming tonight.”

“Don’t worry about it. You tried and he’d rather go home. I guess it was too good to be true.”

“What was?”

“Being with him, this whole relationship thing. Maybe I did jump the gun and I should have taken it slower then this wouldn’t hurt so much right now.”

“Karen?”

“I’m fine. I’ll be back in a minute.”

Karen walked off and went to the bathroom. Stacy wasn’t about to let her friend deal with this alone. She followed her into the bathroom and saw her crying.

“I am so stupid Stac, I let my heart rule over my head and I fell in love with him. Now he’s going home and I don’t even know if he wants me to still visit him in August.”

“Kiki, maybe it will be better after he gets home and gets his head on straight. He just needs to forget about what happened with the finals and regroup, and then he’ll call you nonstop.”

“I don’t know. What if this is really the end?”

Stacy didn’t know how to answer that so she did the next best thing and hugged her friend.

“You know what, I need another drink.”

“Yeah, I think we both do. I did try to get him here for you.”

“I know you did. Thanks Stac.”

They walked out and went back to the bar.

Sidney got to the bar and hung out in the back for a little bit. He caught the eye of Diane and she made her way to him.

“Hey Sid, I didn’t think you were coming tonight?”

“Yeah, I had something I needed to do first. Where’s Karen at?”

“She was at the bar with Stacy. Want me to go find her for you?”

“Actually, if you see her, don’t let her know I’m here. I want to surprise her.”

“Ok. It’s almost midnight so I know they are going to be bringing out the cake soon.”

Sidney looked around and made his way to the bar without seeing Karen. He saw her with some friends and smiled. Pops saw him coming and Sidney asked if he could keep his bag behind the bar until they left. Instead, Pops took it to the back room and put it safely away. Sidney looked and saw Stacy and Liz bringing out the cake from the back and he made his way behind where Karen would be standing. The lights went down and everyone gathered around the table and Karen to sing ‘Happy Birthday’. As they finished the song, Karen didn’t expect what happened next.

“I just want to thank everybody for coming tonight and celebrating my birthday with me. It means a lot to have great friends.”

“Come on girl, you ain’t getting any younger, blow out the candles before we have a melt down.”

“You know I get to reiterate that same message to you in 6 months Sheril.”

“Yeah, yeah. Just make a wish.”

All of the sudden she felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist and a whisper in her ear. “Make a wish baby.”

Karen turned her head and saw Sidney standing behind her. She turned back around and smiled before blowing out all the candles. When the candles were out, the lights and music came back on. Sidney grabbed Karen’s hand and led her outside so they could talk.

“I thought you were on your way home.”

“Yeah I was when Stacy called me. We were waiting to board the plane and I knew I couldn’t leave without seeing you” Sidney said as he brought out a single red tipped white rose. “Happy birthday baby.”

“Thanks” she said as she took the rose from him. Their fingers touched and there was a distinct heat coming from it.

Sidney pulled her into him and held on to her. “I’m so sorry for not talking to you these last few days. The one person who could help me get through this and I shut you out.” He pulled back and looked into her eyes “I never meant for this to happen.”

“I know you didn’t. If you wanted to be alone, all you had to do was tell me that. I would have understood.”

“I know and I was stupid for not answering your calls or texts. I’m sorry for being an ass the day you came to see me too. I never wanted to hurt you like that.”

Karen saw the sadness in his eyes and brought her hand up to caress his cheek “sh, it’s ok. You’re here with me now. You are here for a while, right?”

“Well…”

“You have to go back to the airport tonight?”

“Yeah” he said with some disappointment “but not until Tuesday.” Sidney smiled when she realized what he said.

“You’re an ass” she said hitting him on the arm.

“True, but I’m an ass that loves you.” Sidney pulled her close and kissed her. “Why didn’t you tell me it was your birthday?”

“It never came up and I’m not the one to boast about myself.”

“But you know when mine is.”

“Everybody knows when yours is you wear it on your jersey for crying out loud.”

“And I can’t wait for you to spend it with me. You are still coming up in August, right?”

“Only if you want me there.”

“Yes, I want you there.”

“Good because I already bought my ticket.”

“We better head back inside before they think I took you and ran off” Sidney said with a light laugh.

“Yeah, plus I want some cake.”

Sidney kissed her again and they walked back inside the bar holding hands.

3 comments:

Sam said...

I loved the past two chapters. I am so, so glad that he came back for her! I could totally see him shutting someone out like that after the that loss. Please post more soon!

Val said...

Loved that chapter, and can't wait to see what happens after the birthday party...just don't make us wait too long!

Unknown said...

write asap love this story