11.11.2008

Chapter 48

The next couple of days, Karen worked like a zombie. She couldn't sleep at night and Sidney hadn't called her since he left. Karen left a message for him but he never got back to her. She was getting worried that he wasn't hers anymore. Of course Karen never told him that if he felt the need to go out with anyone else not to. She hoped it was understood that they would be faithful to each other while they were apart.

"Hey, you ok?" Diane asked her.

"I don't know. I havent heard from Sid since he left. I guess I'm just feeling lonely right now being away from him but I can't ignore the feeling that he could be with someone else."

"Why would you think that?"

"Come on Diane, he had a life back home and old friendships can renew themselves after some time apart."

"You're just missing him and all these thoughts are going through your head because of it. You know its not like that. If he wanted to explore other avenues while he was home don't you think he would have said that before he left?"

"Yeah, maybe you're right. But he also could have wanted to spare my feelings too. I just want to hear from him. I would be able to hear it in his voice if what I think is happening does."

"Just try and call him again. If he doesn't pick up or call you back after that, then you can have reason to be suspicious."

"I guess you're right. I know I'm jumping to conclusions and I shouldn't. I fell so hard so fast my heart is playing games with my head."

"It'll be ok. How about I take an early lunch and we can talk some more?"

"I'd like that. You can be my reason of sanity."

"That's a big job, I may need to call for reinforcements" Diane said walking away. Karen just laughed and shook her head, getting back to work for a little bit.

Before Karen knew it, it was Saturday morning and Karen laid in bed. Its not that she didn't feel sad or depressed to stay in bed, but she was tired from the week and needed more sleep. She rolled over and saw it was 10:35a. Karen reached for her cell phone looking at it.

"Just call him and see what's going on. You'll feel better knowing if it's still you he's thinking of and wants. Open the phone and dial his number Karen, it's not that hard."

Karen dialed Sidney number and pressed the call button. She heard it ring a couple of times and was about to hang up when she heard him pick up.

"Hello."

"Hey."

"Mm, hey baby. I was hoping you'd call me back."

"Silly me, I guess I was waiting for you to call me back."

"I tried I did but the reception here really sucks. I got your message and everytime I tried to call you, it wouldn't go through. I texted a couple times but you must not have gotten them."

"What's going on Sid? You having a party?" Karen asked hearing the group of people around him.

"No, I mean I'm with some friends but it's not a party."

"Maybe I'll let you go so you can get back to them. I just hadn't heard from you and missed talking to you. Call me whenever you get a free moment ok? Bye." Karen hung up and curled up trying to fall back asleep.

Sidney sat there stunned. Did Karen just think that he was going to blow her off? He told his friends he would be back and went up to his hotel room, calling Karen back.

Karen looked at her phone going off and saw Sid's name on the caller ID. She took a deep breath and answered it.

"Hello."

"I think something wasn't said and it needs to" Karen's heart jumped into her throat waiting for the 'I need space' speech from him. "I'm not home baby. When I got home, I turned around and came to the Bahamas with some friends. I've been walking around this island trying to find a perfect spot to get a strong signal to call you all week. If I wasn't able to get you, then I would have called you tomorrow night when I got home."

"Sorry, I didn't realize you went somewhere."

"Did you actually think I was going to go home and not talk to you at all?"

"The thought may have crossed my mind. It hasn't been a good week."

"I know because it's been the same here. Every sun set I've seen I wished you were here with me. Every night I went to bed alone, I wished you were with me. It's going to be hard these first few weeks baby."

"You mean I have at least two weeks to go before I start to feel better?"

"It'll be ok. I promise to call you a little more often when I get home and stay home."

"Ok. Go find your friends and finish having fun. I'll talk to you soon."

"Trust me, the sooner the better. Oh and baby, there isn't anyone else just you. I love you."

"I love you too Sid. Bye."

"Bye."

They hung up and Karen felt a little bit better. All she needed was to hear his voice and knew everything would be fine until she went to see him.

Soon it was August 5th and Karen was at the airport and on her way to spend 8 days with Sidney in Nova Scotia. She felt a pang of nervousness in the pit of her stomach. Spending time alone with him at his house wasn’t the problem it was meeting his mother for the first time literally on her turf. Karen was brought out of her thoughts when the call to board the plane was ringing throughout the terminal. Karen boarded and got situated hoping that happy thoughts would soon take over.

A few hours later, the plane made its decent at the airport and Karen felt another wave of nervousness. This time it was seeing Sidney for the first time in two months. She got off the plane and headed to the bathroom first, then made her way to baggage claim. Karen was standing there waiting for the bags to come out when she felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist.

“Excuse me Miss, but are you waiting for someone?”

“Actually I am. My boyfriend is supposed to pick me up.”

“Would you be disappointed to find out he sent me to get you?”

Karen turned around in his arms “yes I would.”

“And why’s that?”

“No offense, but he’s strong, caring, devastatingly handsome, sexy beyond belief and he just melts my heart with his sultry smile.”

“And there’s nothing I could do to make you consider me?”

“Nope.”

“Let’s see about that.” Sidney leans in and kisses her infront of the few people waiting around. The kiss begins to deepen but the sound of the baggage coming out interrupted them. “Did that change your mind?”

Karen stood there dazed for a moment remembering how his kisses would surrender her useless “mmm, definitely.”

Sidney just laughed and kissed her again. “Which is your bag?”

Karen turned back around and looked, “it’s the duffle with the Cabela’s logo on it.”

Sidney grabbed the bag and they headed out to his car. “Do you own anything that doesn’t say Cabela’s on it?”

“Do you own anything that doesn’t say Reebok?”

“Fair enough” he said laughing.

They got in and Sidney began the drive to his house. He pointed out a few sights to her as he drove past them. A few minutes later, Sidney pulled up to his house and Karen was impressed.

“You like it?” he asked as they got out.

“It’s a beautiful house Sid” she said taking in the house and its surroundings.

“Come on” he took her hand “let me show you around.”

Sidney led her inside and he put her bag down by the door. He took her throughout the entire house and finished the tour out back. Sidney walked her down to the lake and on the small pier he had. Karen just looked around and got quiet. Sidney noticed it and wrapped his arms around her.

“You ok?”

“Yeah, it’s just breathtaking up here. I can see why you can’t wait to come home after a grueling season.”

“Well, it’s missed something the last two months.”

“What's that?”

“You being here with me. I don’t think you can imagine how much I’ve missed being around you all this time.”

“I think I can imagine since I’ve had to go everyday without being with you too.”

Sidney leaned in and whispered in her ear “maybe we should go make up for lost time.”

“I think that is a great idea.”

Sidney takes her hand and they head back to the house, stopping in the kitchen and up against the table. He lifted her up and sat her on top of it. They began kissing and the more intense it got, the harder it was to keep it under control. Karen spread her legs and had them on either side of Sidney, pulling him closer to her. His hands grabbed her ass and scooted her closer to him.

“Maybe we need to take this somewhere else?” Karen said breaking the kiss.

“Why would we need to do that? The table is nice and sturdy.” Sidney said kissing her neck “besides, I would like to have a memory everytime I eat in here.”

“Yeah I see you having a memory, let’s say when you invite your parents over for dinner and you start to reminisce about this adventure and your mom asks what you’re thinking about. Do you tell her exactly what you’re thinking?”

“It depends. Is Taylor having dinner with us?”

Karen laughed, “I can’t believe you just asked that. So if she was there, then no but if not you would tell them what happened on this spot while they were eating?”

“I really don’t have any secrets from them.”

“And apparently they will never like me after this gets out.”

“Does it matter if they never do?”

“I’m not dating them. Last I checked I’m dating you and only you.”

“I like that theory and maybe you’ll like this” Sidney kissed her again and moved his hands down to the bottom of her shirt and lifted it off. He kissed the top of her breasts and back up to her lips. Karen found the bottom of Sidney’s shirt and pulled it off as well. She ran her hands over his chest and abs.

“Looks like someone has been working out these last two months?”

“Well I had to work off a lot of energy. I would begin to think about you and then I would have to work even harder to curb the thoughts of what I wanted to do to you.”

Karen put her hands on Sidney’s hips and brought him closer to her “and what did you want to do to me?” she whispered as she began to pull down his shorts.

Sidney replied by kissing her. They continued to remove the rest of each other’s clothes. He picked up Karen to remove her shorts and underwear before putting her back down on the table. Karen wrapped her legs around him as Sidney’s hands roamed over every inch or her body. He made his way down to her mound and took no time to insert a couple fingers inside her. Sidney smiled into her neck when he heard her moan out. His thumb began to massage her clit as his fingers picked up speed bringing her over the edge.

“Mmm, I’ve missed that.”

“Well we aren’t done yet baby.”

Sidney kissed her as he found her entrance, entering her with force. Karen let go of Sidney and put her hands beside her steadying herself. It also allowed her to arch her back to the feelings Sidney was stirring inside her and he took the opportunity to dip his head down to capture her breast with his mouth. Karen laid down on the table and brought Sidney with her as he continued to pound into her. He felt Karen begin to tense up and before long her muscles clamped down on Sidney and she screamed out her release. Sidney stood back up and thrusted into her a few more times before his own orgasm took over his body and he collapsed back on top of her.

“That was interesting and certainly a first.”

“I find that hard to believe baby” Sidney said smiling before kissing her.

“What do you take me for Crosby?” Karen asked pretending to be offended.

“Nope, not touching that one” he laughed as he stood up and brought Karen up with him, still inside of her. “This was definitely worth waiting two months for.”

“Yes it was. So are we going to do others things until I leave or is this pretty much it?”

“I’m sure we’ll leave the house a few times.” Sidney leaned in to kiss her but his cell phone decided that wasn’t going to happen. Sidney had to pull out of Karen to find his cell phone and answered it.

“Hello.”

“Hey Sid, your mom wanted to see if you were coming over for dinner tonight as planned?”

“I completely forgot about that dad but yeah, tell her we’ll be there.”

“We? Who are you bringing with you?”

“Dad I told you Karen was coming to spend my birthday with me. She flew in today.” Karen saw the look on Sidney’s face and got off the table picking up her clothes. She went to the bathroom to get dressed and compose herself as Sidney finished his conversation with his dad. “I’m not about to exclude her to be with you guys when she’s only here for a week.”

“Its fine Sid, bring her along. I know your mom is anxious to meet her.”

“Alright, we’ll be over soon.”

Sidney hung up from his dad and got dressed in the kitchen. Karen came back and stood up against the doorframe watching him. “So we have plans for dinner then?”

“Sorry about that, do you mind?”

“No, it’s not like I could have avoided her anyway. How long do we have until we have to go over there?”

“About an hour at most it’ll be fine I promise.”

“I’m holding you to that. Mind if I get a shower?”

“Mind if I join you?” he said wrapping his arms around her.

“If you do, can we be done in under an hour?”

“I’m sure we can time it to see.”

“I guess were going to play beat the clock” Karen said as she kissed him and got out of his grasp. She picked up her bag and headed upstairs with Sidney not too far behind.

Karen managed to get undressed and into the shower before Sidney had a chance to slow her down. He just took it as an opportunity to look through her bag. When he got done searching, he undressed and joined Karen into the shower. She was rinsing the conditioner out of her hair when she felt Sidney brush up against her. Karen got out from under the water and Sidney kissed her as he turned them around so he could get under.

“Good thing I was done.”

“Are you sure you’re completely done?” Sidney smirked

“Well not really, I mean I do need help with my back.” Karen got closer to him and kissed him.

“Turn around and I can get that for you.”

Karen turned around making sure she stayed in contact with Sidney’s body. He grabbed the soap and lathered it in his hands before putting it on her back. Karen melted into his touch as he massaged the soap into her skin. Sidney heard a soft moan escape her lips and smiled to himself. He moved his hands to her lower back and then proceeded around to her stomach. Karen leaned her back up to his chest and let him do what he wanted. Sidney kept one hand on her stomach as the other one roamed down further to her mound. He cupped her and inserted a few fingers inside of her pumping in and out at a fast pace. Karen placed one of her hands over Sidney’s to help him bring her to her peak. Karen leaned her head back and turned to face Sidney as his lips came down on hers.

“Baby? I didn’t see my present in your bag.”

“You went through my bag?” Karen asked turning around to face him.

“Well, I figured it was a good time to snoop since you were in here.”

Karen began laughing “I can’t believe you did that.”

“My birthday is in two days and I figured you would have something for me.”

“Isn’t me being here enough of a present for you? I figured that visiting you could be my present.”

“As much as I love that, it could be but I just thought you would have gotten me something else.”

Karen smiled as Sidney turned into the water to finish his shower. She wrapped her arms around him and placed a kiss on his shoulder “I had to mail your present because it was too big and fragile to bring with me on the plane.” She kissed his cheek and stepped out of the shower when she saw a smile creep onto Sidney’s face.

When Sidney was done, he got out of the shower and dried off. He saw Karen going through her bag and finding what she wanted to wear to dinner with his parents.

“Since you’re here for 8 days, I made some room in a couple of my drawers so you wouldn’t have to live out of your bag while you’re here.”

“You didn’t need to do that.”

“I know I didn’t, but I wanted to” he said kissing her.

“Thank you, that was sweet of you.”

“Well just don’t let that get out, I don’t want people to think I’m a big softie.”

“I won’t tell anyone I promise.”

They got dressed and Karen moved her clothes from her bag to the drawers and hung up a couple of things. She asked Sidney what she should wear and he picked out a simple v-neck shirt and navy blue Capri pants. Karen fixed her hair and got her make up done so she was ready to leave whenever. She left Sidney to get dressed since he was doing something else as she got ready and went downstairs. Karen walked outside to the back porch and just looked at the scenery. There seemed to be sense of quietness that fell over her and she didn’t even hear Sidney walk up behind her. When she felt his arms around her waist, she brought a hand up and blotted away a tear that was ready to fall.

“Ok what’s wrong? This is the second time you got quiet on me and something has you upset” he moved around her and leaned on the railing to look her in the eyes “talk to me.”

“I was just looking around at the scenery and I got thinking about mom and dad. It was this time in 2001 that they left to take their vacation to come up this way. I guess seeing how beautiful it is, is what they loved about coming up here. I guess I feel closer to them being here and it just reminds me how much I miss them especially with the anniversary coming up in a month.”

Sidney pulls her into a hug and holds on to her “I’m sorry they’re not around for you anymore but you still have years of memories to hold on to.”

“I know, but the thing is, I never got to tell them goodbye. Even before they left to go on their trip I didn’t get to talk to them. I was on my own vacation with friends and I knew when I got back they would be gone. I just wish they were still here to see how happy I am.”

“I think they know baby and I’m sure they’re watching out for you.”

Karen pulled back “I hope their not watching everything I do, especially with you.”

“You say that like what we’re doing is a bad thing.”

“Maybe not bad but definitely naughty at times. I’ll be ok I just get like this the closer it gets to September 11th.”

“Well I’m here for you if you need it.”

“Thank you” Karen leans in to kiss him. Sidney tries to take it further when she stopped him “we need to go.”

“I know, but we will finish this later.”

“I never doubted we wouldn’t.”

Sidney gives her another kiss and they headed out to his parent’s house. Karen was getting a little nervous the closer they got to the house but Sidney gave her hand a squeeze to reassure her everything would be fine. They pulled up to the house and got out. As soon as Sidney grabbed Karen’s hand another car pulled up behind them and honked their horn. Soon enough a young girl ran out of the house.

“Hi Sid” she hugged him and ran off “bye Sid.”

“And that would be my sister Taylor” Sidney said laughing.

“Ah I never would have guessed that, smart girl to be out of the line of fire.”

“Just stop, there will be no firing of anything towards you.”

“I have one last question to ask you. Am I going to be compared to all the other girls you brought home?”

“Probably.”

Karen just shook it off and they went inside. She looked around at the house Sidney grew up in and smiled when she could imagine what he was like growing up.

“Mom, dad?”

“Sidney I’m glad you came over” Trina said hugging her son. She let go of him and looked over at Karen.

“Mom, I would like to you to meet my girlfriend Karen. Karen this is my mom.”

“It’s nice to meet you dear. I’ve heard a lot about you in the last few months from Sid.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you too.”

“How was your trip up? It’s nice that you came to be with Sid for his birthday.”

“The flight was good. I had forgotten how beautiful it was up here.”

“So this isn’t your first trip to Nova Scotia?”

“No, my parents made the trip up here for as long as I could remember and I went with them when I was younger then they came up either by themselves or with friends when I got older and started working.”

“Well that’s nice dear. Listen, dinner is almost ready so why don’t you guys have a seat and relax for a bit.”

“Is there anything I can help you with?” Karen asked politely.

“If you don’t mind finishing the salad, I would love some help.”

Sidney kissed her on the head as he watched Karen go with his mom in the kitchen. He walked into the living room and found his dad watching TV.

“Hey dad.”

“Hey Sid, I didn’t hear you come in” getting up to hug him “where’s Karen?”

“She’s helping mom with dinner. You are going to be nice to her aren’t you?”

“Yes son, I will be nothing but nice to her.”

They sat down and talked for a few minutes before being called to the table to eat. Trina put Karen on one side and Sidney on the other side so they were facing each other. They all got food on their plates and began to eat.

“The food is delicious. I haven’t had a good home cooked meal in a long time.”

“Well thank you Karen, I do appreciate the sincerity. It’s hard to get it around here.”

“That is so not true mom, I’ve complimented you a thousand times on your cooking.”

“Yeah but it was always in passing as you ate so fast because you had to go a game.”

“You could have had a great business opportunity there Trina…fast food home cooked meals for the starving hockey children of Canada.”

“Be nice baby.”

“She’s right though. His sister is the same way now that she’s playing. Did you get to meet her yet?”

“I saw some blur run past so I assumed it was her.”

“She was heading to the movies with some friends but I’m sure you’ll meet her before you leave.”

“So what have you been up to since Sid came home Karen?” Troy asked

“I’ve just been working. I don’t go home to Pittsburgh every weekend because of gas being so high right now and no hockey games to go to, so there’s really not much to do then work.”

“Well at least he’s been able to concentrate on his training without any distractions so he’ll be ready for camp next month.”

“Dad, don’t” Sidney warned Troy not to start anything.

“What’s going on?” Trina asked not knowing.

“Apparently your husband thinks I distracted your son enough to lose the Stanley Cup this year.”

“That’s not what I’m saying Karen.”

“Not in so many words, but it is what you’re implying isn’t it Troy? Eventhough I was never in Detroit for the first two games, let alone game 5 and for every home game, I had to work the next day so I couldn’t see him before or after the games. In fact I didn’t talk to him until two days after they lost or see him until he showed up at my birthday party that my friends threw for me another two days later. I don’t see how I had anything to do with the team losing but yet you feel I’m to blame.”

“Troy?” Trina said with some disapproval in her voice “how could you make her feel like that?”

“I knew you didn’t like me dating her during the playoffs but to blame her for our loss dad…”

“I am not blaming her for the loss Sid, I’m just saying that maybe you were a little distracted going in spending time with her before the final round.”

“She didn’t distract me at all. I knew what was at stake going into it. If anything she helped me focus more.” Sidney got up from the table and went into the kitchen.

“I didn’t mean for this to get out of hand but I know what hockey and most importantly the Stanley Cup means to him. He knows I would be the first to remove myself from him if I would jeopardize any of that. Excuse me.” Karen got up to find Sidney. She saw him standing by the sink and looking out the window. “I’m sorry. I should have let it go but…”

“It’s not you or what you said. My dad needs to let go of it and just accept that I want to be with you. I know you had nothing to do with us losing, but why didn’t you tell him that I came to see you after I got back from Detroit and game 2?”

“Because you came to see me and he would turn it around on me somehow.” Karen walked over to him and hugged him “He’ll let it go when he wants to Sid.”

“I know but hey, my mom seems to really like you.”

“Give her time and your dad to convince her otherwise.”

Sidney smiled “God I love you.”

“You better” she said then kissed him “because I love you too.”

“Why don’t we take dessert in and finish this out?” Sidney said picking up the dessert.

“I think that’s a great idea.” Karen grabbed the extra plates and they went back to the dining room. Everybody apologized for what was said and they finished dinner on a happy note. An hour later Sidney and Karen were saying goodbye and heading back to his house.

“All things considering, I think that went well.”

“Yeah although I gave your dad more reason to hate me, but it was nice.”

“My dad doesn’t hate you baby. He’s not going to like anyone I want to date.”

“You mean there will be others besides me?” Karen pretended to be shocked and Sidney busted out laughing “it’s fine really. He’ll come around when he’s ready to and until then there’s nothing I can do.”

Sidney pulled up to his house and turned off the engine “do you realize how amazing you are? Any other girl would break it off with me to not have to deal with my parents, you go toe to toe with my dad not backing down to him by any means.”

“Did I not tell you that I always fight for what I want?” she winked at him before getting out.

Sidney got out and caught up to her wrapping his arms around her and lifting her up off the ground, spinning her around until they fell to the ground laughing. Sidney was on top of her and moved a piece of hair out of her face. There were no words said but the look between them said volumes. Karen lifted her head and kissed him, rolling them over so she was on top.

“You think you’re sneaky don’t you?”

“Well something worked since I am now on top.” Karen leans down and kisses him again only to have Sidney use his strength and sit them up with her still on his lap.

“I’m glad you still came up. I was worried with how I treated you after the finals that you would have changed your mind again after your birthday.”

“I only wouldn’t have come if you didn’t want me to. I was worried when you shut me out like you did.”

"I know baby and I will forever be sorry that I did it."

“I’m just glad you left the airport to come see me. I think you were my best birthday gift.”

“Just like you’re mine.” Sidney found the spot on Karen’s neck and began nibbling making Karen shiver.

“Now I definitely think we should take this somewhere else.”

“Maybe you’re right this time.”

“You might want to remember that for next time.”

1 comment:

Val said...

So the appealing thing about this story is that they do seem to really care about each other, even when they are dealing with adversity (like his parents!) As always, fabulous...and those Pens won tonight...life is good, or as Lauren said, life is wonderful :)