11.03.2008

Chapter 44

As they drove off for their adventure, Karen couldn't stop asking questions.

"So where are we going?"

"You'll find out soon."

"But why can't I know now?"

"Ok, did you just turn 5 or something? Just sit back and relax and enjoy the drive" he said laughing at her excitedness.

"Fine." Karen sat there for about 30 seconds before she started again. "Is it someplace I've been to before?"

"You can't just sit quiet can you?"

"Not when you keep a secret from me that's for me."

Sidney picked up her hand and kissed the back of it "baby, you will love my surprise I promise."

"You're like a dad that hides the really great presents on Christmas then tells the kids there are no more. That's what this is. But if you don't want to offer up any hints and want me be surprised, then I will stop with the questions....right after this one."

"What's your last question baby?"

"Did you come up with this on your own or did you have help?"

"Does it matter either way?"

"No. I just want to know."

"I had an idea of what I wanted and this morning when I was getting us breakfast, Sheril came in and we started talking. I asked her if they would mind me taking you away from them for a little bit today and kind of said what I wanted to do and she gave me a few ideas."

"Ok, I'm scared now if Sheril is giving you ideas."

"Don't worry, they were great ideas. Are you satisfied now? Will you enjoy the drive and let this happen?"

"Yes I am satisfied now...I think" she said laughing. "I'm serious, I'm done asking questions."

"Good."

Sidney continued driving and kept Karen talking so she wouldn't get any hints of where they were going. He noticed he needed gas and stopped at the nearest gas station which happened to be the exit they were needing anyway. When he was done filling the car with gas, Sidney got in and drove down the road and bypassed the ramp to the highway which got Karen very suspicious.

"Um, unless you've explored outside of Pittsburgh in the last three years to find a back country road in Ohio to know where you're going, I have to ask...what's going on Sid?"

He didn't answer her, he just let the car make a left turn and stop in front of a huge sign.

"This is what's going on and where I wanted to bring you."

Karen looked up and saw the sign for Barkcamp State Park and a smile formed but so did the tears. "How do you know about this place?"

"When I was talking with Sheril I told her I wanted to go somewhere with you that was quiet and a place where no one would recognize me. She told me about how you and her came here when you were little and that it was special to you both. I figured it sounded perfect and decided that this was where we would spend the day."

"Thank you" Karen leaned over and kissed him.

Sidney started driving through the park and Karen pointed out the sights. He pulled the car over in a parking spot and turned off the car. They got out and stood at the back of his car.

"So Sheril said there was some hiking trails throughout the park. Care to take a walk?"

"What? And get my new shoes dirty? Parish the thought."

"Well if they get really dirty, I will get you a new pair. Come on."

Sidney kissed her and then grabbed her hand as they walked across the road to the path. They started out walking holding hands but the trail went down to a single path and Sidney got infront of Karen.

"Could you go any slower? My god, I thought you had to be in shape to play hockey."

"You know, you could always come and take the lead."

"That's ok, I'm kind of liking the view infront of me."

Sidney stops and blushes realizing what Karen just said. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pressed her up against a tree "maybe I would like a view of my own."

"But this is my trip and my day, why would I want to give up a view as fine as yours to look at?"

"We may have to have a compromise" he said as he leaned in and kissed her. The kiss got deeper and more passionate as the minutes went by.

Karen pushed Sidney away and got out of his grip. She started walking away then began to run the rest of the way up the hill "race ya." Karen got a good head start but before she realized it, Sidney was right behind her. He picked her up to move her aside and ran past her. Karen just laughed and caught up to him by the time they got to the top of the hill and a clearing. They looked around and saw the beautiful scenery around them.

"Wow, it's amazing up here with all the trees."

"Yeah, I almost forgot how I loved coming here. Of course the trees have grown a bit since then."

"You know, you really never told me about growing up around here. I guess I always assumed you were born and raised in Pittsburgh."

"Well it's not like I ever corrected you about it."

Sidney saw some rocks a little ways away and lead Karen that way. He climbed on the biggest rock, helping Karen climb up to join him. "Tell me?"

"Which version would you like...in a galaxy far, far away or in a land before time when the dinosaurs roamed the earth?"

"Well I serious doubt you were alive when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. Just start from the beginning."

"I'm not originally from Pittsburgh. I was born and raised in Wheeling. I met Sheril in Kindergarten and had been best friends ever since. Natalie came later when we worked together at a different clothing store and Diane I met when we started at Cabela's the same time. My dad was a policeman for the Wheeling PD and took a job with the Allegheny County Sheriff's office when I was about 10. He moved us to the house I am in now and he always made the promise that I wouldn't lose my friends back in Wheeling. Since we were only an hour away, my mom brought me down every weekend to see and play with Sheril. She would always bring us here to go swimming and horseback riding during the summer. It was like coming here made me forget leaving all my friends and kept what was normal to me during those years growing up."

"Coming here reminds me of a place at home. No matter what life bring at you, there is always one place that won't ever change."

"Exactly and that's what this place does."

Karen turned her head to look at Sidney. Their eyes locked and so did their lips. Sidney put his arms around her and pulled her closer to him. After a few minutes, Karen pulled away "hey, what just happened?" Sidney asked her.

"It's nothing."

Karen was looking out at the trees when Sidney put his forehead to her temple "what's the matter baby?"

"It's stupid really."

"Try me. What is it?"

Karen turns back to look at him "sometimes I can't believe we're together. Like I'm a stepping stone that you're just waiting on for someone better to come along."

"Where is all this insecurity coming from?"

"It's not so much being insecure, it's being realistic. Sid, I am 17 years older than you."

"That's not entirely true."

"Fine, we'll get technical...16 years and 10 months."

"Baby, this is only coming out because today's your birthday. You've heard the girls scream at me and literally throw themselves at me but where am I at the end of the day? I am with you. If I wanted someone closer to my age because that's how it's suppose to be, I would have left a long time ago. But I not only choose to be with you, I want to be with you. That is reality."

"You make it hard to be philosophical" she said with a smile.

"It has nothing to do with that, it has everything to do with being in love with you." Sidney jumps off the rock and brings Karen down, putting her infront of him and kissing her. "Come on, I think its time to go swimming."

"I didn't bring a bathing suit or towels."

Sidney took her hand in his and started walking back to the car "don't worry, I have everything we need." Karen just laughed as they continued their walk. They got to the car and Sidney drove down the road until it ended. Karen smiled when she saw the lake and man-made beach area remembering all the fun she's had there. Sidney looked over at Karen seeing her smile and smiled himself. "Right there, that's what today's about."

"What?"

"Your smile." Sidney parked the car by the building and they got out. He handed her a bag "go get changed and I will meet you here by the car." Karen just kissed him on the cheek and went to change as did Sidney.

Karen got into a stall and opened the bag. She took out the suit Sidney brought for her and she shook her head laughing to herself. It was a simple two piece bikini but the top was more of a halter top. Not that it was revealing or anything, just if she knew they were coming here, this was not the suit she would have picked. Karen got her suit on and put the towel around her waist, walking out to the car. Sidney was already there waiting for her and as soon as he saw her he whistled at her.

"Now that is a beautiful sight."

"Nice choice stud."

"I try. You ready?"

"Definitely."

They walked over to an area where they were the only ones. Not that it was crowded, but Sidney wanted to be alone with her. Karen took off the towel and laid it on the sand then got another one out for Sidney. They got in the water and swam around for a bit before Sidney got playful. He would make a grab for Karen but she would swim away from him. He kept trying to get her and she would splash water at him to get away. When Sidney was wiping the water off his face, Karen was able to swim behind him and put her arms around his neck holding on.

"You're a sneaky one baby." Sidney removed her arms and turned around to face her. "See, now this was all I wanted when I tried to get you."

"Yeah right. Like you wouldn't have tried to pull me under once you got me."

"That might have been the plan, but now that I got you, I'd rather do something else."

"Um, there are kids around."

"Not what I meant baby, although that's something we haven't tried yet."

"Then what did you want to do after you caught me?"

Sidney leaned in and kissed her. He took his time letting it go slow, exploring her mouth like he's never been there. Karen wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer to her as if that was even possible. The kiss lasted for several minutes until they heard kids yelling that pulled them apart. They swam closer to the beach and got out, walking to their towels. Sidney grabbed one of the extra towels and wrapped it around Karen before getting himself one. They dried off and sat down on the towels.

"Are you enjoying your day so far?"

"So far? Like you have more things planned after this?"

"Maybe" he said with a smirk.

"Ugh, I am not going to ask useless questions that I won't get answers from. But thank you for today. You never stop amazing me when you come up with all these ideas for us to do."

"I have to keep it interesting between us. Why don't we head back so we can head somewhere else."

"Ok."

They got up and got dressed, walking to the car. Sidney drove them back to Pittsburgh as Karen rested her head on his shoulder reliving the day. A couple hours later, they were back at her house and walked in to see three smiling faces. Sidney kissed her and ran upstairs as Karen sat and talked to her friends. A few minutes later, Sidney came down freshly showered.

"I need you to go get a shower and then get ready again. Something simple but nice. I will be back in a little bit."

"Where..."

"Just go get ready and I will see you in a bit. I love you."

"But..." Karen tried to protest but he was already out the door and in the car. She turned around to her friends that all had weird looks on their faces. "What is going on here?"

All three of them looked at each other and said "I don't know."

"Ya'll know something. What's he planning?"

The girls got up and left leaving Karen sitting in the living room wondering what was going on. All she could do was get up and get her shower, waiting for Sidney to come back.

6 comments:

Val said...

I love that he stayed for her birthday, she is happy, they are happy, okay, we are all happy that you updated...more soon, please...you rock!

CrosbysBabe87 said...

Aww I'm glad that he stayed for her birthday.

More Soon!!

Lauren said...

Aww he is the cutest! Can't wait to see what else he has in store for her! :)

Unknown said...

cant wait to see what he has planned

Sam said...

Gotta love Sid. I love how at the beginning she was like a kid asking questions every three seconds. Can't wait to see what he's got up his sleeve! =]

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

So I definitely thought that I commented on this chapter after reading it yesterday, but obviously not.

As always great chapter, I`m so glad that he stayed, and I can`t wait to see what happens next.