1.12.2009

Chapter 79

Karen soon went upstairs as they both got ready. Sidney was done first and headed downstairs as she finished up. When Karen was done, she went down and met Sidney in the living room. He got up and kissed her before heading out. When Karen was leaving, she noticed a few more presents under the tree and smiled as she turned to get her coat on so they could leave.

"So where did the other presents come from?" Karen asked as they started the drive to his parent's house.

"What other presents?"

"Just stop right there. I saw a stack of boxes ranging in sizes by your big box. Did Santa come early?"

"He must have while we were getting ready" Sidney said with a smile.

"Fine, play your game Crosby. But on a more serious note, is it going to matter that I have nothing for your family?"

"No, don't worry about it. For one, before last night they thought we weren't together and two, you decided just a day ago to come up here with me. It'll be fine but if you're going to feel bad about not having anything at least for Tay, we can stop at her favorite store and you can get her a gift card."

"Aren't most places closed by now?"

Sidney looked at his watch "I think we'll make it."

They headed to the store and they were about to close but when they saw it was Sidney, they let them in. Karen got the gift card and Sidney bought a couple of things too. They thanked the saleswoman and left.

A few minuted later, Sidney pulled into his parent's driveway and they headed inside. Since they would be back the next day, Karen left the gift card in the car to give to Taylor then. When they walked in, Karen felt the nerves arrive and Sidney noticed, giving her a kiss on her cheek to calm her down. It wasn't 'meeting the parents the first time nerves, it was they don't like me why am I torturing myself' nerves. Trina appeared from the kitchen and smiled as she hugged her son.

"I am so glad you made it home for Christmas Sid."

"Well if I didn't come home, you know you guys would have came down to Pittsburgh to see me."

"Of course we would have" Trina looked behind Sidney and saw Karen standing there "It's nice to see you again Karen."

"You too Trina. Thank you for letting me join you guys for Christmas."

"Your welcome although I didn't realize you were coming with Sidney."

"Yeah it was a last minute decision. I was able to get today as well as tomorrow off."

"Hi Karen" Taylor says excitedly as she came bouncing into the hallway.

"Hi Taylor. How are you?"

"I'm good. Does this mean you and Sidney are back together if you came here with him?" she asked getting a hug from Sidney.

"Yes it does Tay" Sidney said putting his arm around Karen.

"Well dinner is ready so if everyone wants to go sit down, I will get the rest of the food."

"Is this anything I can help you with?" Karen asked politely.

"That would be nice Karen, thank you."

As she started to walk into the kitchen, Sidney brought her back to him and kissed her, smiling before he let her go. Karen walked into the kitchen and Trina was standing there looking at her.

"Either by that look I am intruding on your family's Christmas or you just hate that I'm here and with Sidney."

Trina's face softened "it's neither Karen. They way we all left it after Sidney's birthday I couldn't help but realize that you did love him and when Troy came home last night and said you came with Sidney, I told him that we needed to let this be and it's Sidney's decision to be with whoever he wants."

"I appreciate that Trina, thank you. After Sidney came back in September I could tell something was going to happen. When he just basically repeated what you and Troy had said to me I knew it was more what you guys wanted for him. If it's the fact that you don't want him with any girl right now, I can understand that. He's worked to hard to get where he is now to have someone mess that up. But if it was against me personally when you just met me to judge me on that alone and not willing to get to know me, I had to take offense when he broke up with me."

"We just want him to focus on hockey right now. He's young and still has a lot to learn about juggling his career and personal life."

"He may be young in age, but he's more mature than probably any of us were when we were 21. He's got a good head on his shoulders and I think he needed someone to balance all that. It just happens to be me."

"Troy may take some time accepting it, but I see how you two are and I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions just because my husband didn't approve. I should have gone on my own first and for that I do apologize."

"Thank you."

Karen was surprised when Trina hugged her "we better get this food out to the table."

"Ok." Karen wiped under her eyes before picking up a couple bowls and walking behind Trina into the dining room. She sat the bowls down and sat beside Sidney. He looked over to her and Karen just smiled and shook her head telling him they'd talk later.

They ate dinner with Sidney and his dad taking up most of the conversation. When it was over an hour later, they got things cleaned up and headed to church. Sidney drove himself, Taylor and Karen and his parent's went together.

"Troy I think you need to step back and look at what's really going on with your son. He's in love and we told him to break up with her, but they found their way back to each other. If we push him to get away from her again, we may never have the relationship we have now with Sidney."

"She's taken his focus away from his game."

"Not necessarily Troy. The team had it's ups and downs when they weren't together. There were games they won and you said he still didn't play his best. Why don't you just step back and let him decide what he wants right now."

"I'll try ok, but I can't promise anything" Troy said with his usual stubbornness.

"Well I am going to leave it with one last remark...after everything we put her through in August, did she really do anything that bad to deserve that?"

Troy just looked at Trina before turning into the church parking lot and finding a spot. They got out and met up wth Sidney, Taylor and Karen and went inside. Sidney pulled Karen aside and told everyone they'd meet up with them in a minute.

"So what happened before dinner?"

"Your mom apologized for her behavior from August. She said that she should have judged for herself about me and not went along with your dad."

"I didn't expect that."

"Me either, though I feel bad now not having anything for them for Christmas."

"I'm sure they'll understand baby. Besides, they may head down for New Years and maybe you could find a late present for them."

"Yeah ok."

Sidney kissed her and they went to join his family. Karen felt a little more at ease since her talk with Trina and focused on what was going on. At one point, she felt a chill and smiled realizing her parents were with her. She zoned out from the sermon and held a silent conversation with her mom and dad. Sidney looked over at her and saw she was looking to the floor and not really paying attention but had an idea what was going on when a tear escaped down her cheek. He reached over to wipe away the wet trail it left and Karen looked up at him. She whispered 'sorry' and he just smiled at her. When everything was over, the Crosby's left and greeted the minister before heading out the door. Sidney held Karen back after telling his mom they'd see them tomorrow and waited to be the last ones out.

Sidney stepped up to the minister and shook his hand "Sidney, well it's a pleasure to see you this year."

"Thank you. Reverend Marks, I would like for you to meet my girlfriend Karen."

"Well its a pleasure to finally meet the woman who captured this young man's heart."

"It's nice to meet you too."

"Where are you visiting us from?"

"Pittsburgh."

"Ah, so more than just the city has your interest Sidney."

"You can say that" he said looking at Karen. "I don't want to keep you, I just wanted you to meet Karen."

"Well I am glad you joined us tonight Karen and anytime you come back up this way, be sure to stop in again. Sidney, it's always great to see you and good luck the rest of the season."

"Thank you" they both said in unison and walked out to the car. Sidney opened the car door for Karen but stopped her with a long passionate kiss before letting her go "I couldn't do that in there."

Karen laughed at him "yeah because kissing in church is so much more of a sin when we are obviously angels in every other aspect of this relationship."

"Well we are about to get very sinful as soon as we go home."

"Have I told you lately that I love how your mind works?"

"No, but I'm sure you''ll tell me over and over again tonight." Sidney kissed her again and closed the door after she was in. He went to the driver's side and started the car, heading home.

5 comments:

Val said...

loved it, and loved that Trina came to her senses...can't wait to see what else happens...you rock, as always, more soon please (I know, I am predictable!)

Caitlin said...

yeah, just what she said... MORE! I love it!

Meli said...

How is it possible that Val get's to be the first poster every time?? Hahaha, love you girl!

Once again, echoing what Val said! ;)

Lauren said...

aww I loved this! Can't wait to see how Christmas goes! :)

Anonymous said...

love this!
i love the ending, how mischievous he is! <3