1.02.2009

Chapter 73

Karen and Max talked for a couple hours. It was getting close to 4p and Karen went to the kitchen to start dinner. She wanted to make lasagne and since it took time to get it together, she wanted to start early. Max sat in the living room and thought about what Karen said.

Flahback

"First tell me what happened that night at Pops" Karen said curiously wanting to know.

"Well, when we showed up and sat with you guys Nat and I just started talking and I guess as more alcohol flowed the more we started to flirt around. I had my arm around her and she put her hand on my thigh a couple of times." Karen smiled remembering that first night out with Sidney where the exact same thing happened between them.

"Ok, so we got the flirting down. She said you kissed her before she left."

"Yeah, I don't know what came over me. You and Sid stepped away to talk and I didn't want her to leave, so I grabbed her and kissed her."

"Well there's nothing wrong with innocent flirting but I think that kiss threw her for a loop."

"I know I couldn't stop thinking about it and afterwards she gave me her number and I know I was probably annoying with calling her everyday but I wanted to see if what we started that night was real. She agreed to go out with me for dinner and we didn't plan on having sex but it just happened. There's this attraction to her I can't shake and I want to try this with her."

"I have to say Max that I am impressed with how you're handling this with her. Nat is a complicated woman when it comes to relationships."

"She mentioned about that. What does she think, every guy is going to hurt her?"

"Yeah. Max, Nat is one of my best friends and she's like my sister. I love her to death, but she has been hurt a lot. Most acquaintances started off like you two did but after something happened, she never heard from them again or they stayed for a month or two and treated her like a doormat."

"But I'm not like that."

"I know you're not Max and I think spending those few days during the playoffs with you as a 'friend' helped her see that but confused her feelings a little bit more. She's just being cautious Max."

"I know and I don't blame her. Will you talk to her for me?"

"Maybe we can do one better."

"What do you mean?"

"Maybe you guys and Sid and I can have a double date and that way, you can start off right."

"I like that. Thanks Karen, you are a great friend."

"I just want the best for my friends."

End of Flashback

As Max sat there on the couch, Sidney came in a few minutes later and saw him there.

"What is it about my girlfriend that all you guys have to migrate towards her?" Sidney said putting his bag down in the hall.

"Well you know Sid, we've heard all about her from you and we're just so jealous that we sneak time with her whenever you're not around" Max said smiling as he got up to greet his friend.

"Is that right? I may need to stop talking about her then."

"That wouldn't happen, you're too much in love with me" Karen said coming out of the kitchen and obviously hearing what was said.

Sidney wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her "that is true. I'd shout it off the rooftops every morning if you'd let me."

"I don't ever remembering telling you that you couldn't."

Sidney leaned down to kiss her "maybe later. So, Max what brings you here?"

"Just needed to talk to Karen about something. But now I am going to leave you two alone and head out."

"You sure? I made plenty for dinner and would love for you to stay."

"I appreciate that but I've taken up enough of your time, let you and Sid enjoy some time alone."

"Please I've been alone with him all morning, I could use a change."

"Thanks baby, I appreciate that" Sidney said sulking into the living room.

Karen hobbled in after him and sat down on the couch beside him "I'm sorry stud" she said kissing his cheek.

"Fine, but you will pay for that later."

"Mm, can't wait to see what you have planned."

"Yeah, I'm definitely going to go now" Max said laughing. "Thanks again Karen and I will see you later Sid."

They said goodbye to Max and Sidney just looked at Karen "so why was he here?"

"I'll tell you during dinner" Karen said getting up to go back into the kitchen with Sidney close behind. Karen got the lasagne out of the oven and put in the garlic bread to get done while the lasagne cooled a little.

Sidney grabbed ahold of her when she stood back up from the oven and turned her to face him "why can't I know now?"

"Wow, you are impatient. Fine, we were coming up with a plot to meet in secret to have a rendevous so you wouldn't find out but you like to spoil my fun."

"I think your new meds are making you crazier then you already are. Why was he really here?"

"Do you not trust me with any of your teammates or something because I am getting offended here?"

"I'm not asking to offend you and I might seem jealous when I see Geno act the way he does around you and now coming home to see Max here" Sidney stops when he sees Karen smiling "why are you smiling this is serious to me."

"I'm smiling for two reasons. One, I love how protective you're being and two, I love it even more when you talk about coming home to me. Look, you have nothing to worry about with any of them. I love you and only want you so back down off the 'no other man can look at my woman' attitude."

"Sorry, really, I just protect what I love."

"Then I guess that means you love me."

"I never said that, did I?"

Karen shook her head and laughed "you are so not right." She got out of his grip when the oven timer went off and got the bread out before it burned. They sat down and began to eat.

"This is amazing baby, how come you've never made this for me before?" he said taking a bite.

"Well lasagne takes time to make getting it put together so I like to save it for every once and a while."

"Will you please tell me what you were talking to Max about?" Sidney asked with the pleading puppy dog eyes that he has.

"He came over to ask for some advice about Natalie. She is being cautious and Max wants to be convincing that he's not like all the others. So I told him that the four of us will go out on a double date and maybe they'll both relax and be themselves."

"Well that was sweet of you baby. When are we going out?"

"Not sure. We'll have to look at your schedule and I'll have to see when Natalie has off. If I know her and I think I do, she won't be going home afterwards or work the next day."

"Why do you say that?"

"Remember when were at Pops that first night and you instinctively put your arm around me?"

"Oh, the night when your hand found my thigh and it was there most of the night?"

"Yeah well apparently that's what happened between them at Pops after the home opener. They were flirting and Max said he put his arm around her and her hand rested on his thigh."

"So then we have another 'us' then?"

"God I hope not. I don't know if I could handle Max if he starts to act like you" she said smiling sweetly at him.

"You just love to do that huh?"

"Yeah I do."

Sidney picked up her hand and kissed it before they finished eating. Twenty minutes later, they got done eating and was cleaning up. Karen was doing the dishes when Sidney came up behind her and began to kiss her neck. He brought her hands out of the water and dried them off before turning her to face him. He lightly pushed her up against the sink, pressing his body into her as he kissed her again.

"Baby, we just got done eating" Karen said breaking the kiss.

"So, it's not like we're going to go swimming."

"Sid..."

"Look, I know you said your knee won't bend right now, but I've been thinking about this. Just let me try something and if you start hurting I will stop, I promise. Please?"

"Damn you. You know I can't resist you when you beg."

"I know, why do you think I go there?"

"Can we at least let dinner digest for a little bit first?"

"I think I can let that happen." Sidney kissed her again only to be pushed away so Karen could finish cleaning up the kitchen. She told him to go wait in the living room until she was done. He kissed her once more and left.

3 comments:

Val said...

As usual, a cliffhanger, but I love her interaction with Max, and then with Sid...rock on, girl, and update soon...

Unknown said...

wayy to leave us hanging. hah. write more sooon :)

Lauren said...

I can only imagine what exactly he has planned lol

they are so cute!