12.28.2008

Chapter 72

Monday morning, Sidney was taking Karen to her doctor's appointment in Wheeling. She seemed kind of nervous on the drive down and Sidney had noticed. They got to the doctor's office and Karen checked in. She sat down waiting to be called as Sidney held on to her hand.

"It'll be ok baby."

"I know, I'm just afraid of what he'll tell me."

Sidney kissed her temple and soon the nurse called for Karen to follow her. Sidney stayed in the waiting room as Karen went in. She sat there and waited as patiently as her nerves would let her until the doctor came in.

"Karen, it's nice to see you. How are you doing?"

"Good."

"Well let's take a look at your knee and see the progress. Your wrist seems to be doing fine?"

"Yeah, will I need to keep the cast on for the last few weeks?"

"We might be able to take the cast off, re-xray it and see from there."

"That would be great."

The doctor unwrapped her knee and felt around the incision. He bent it a little and saw Karen wince in pain.

"Apparently that didn't feel too good. The incision still looks good, no infection but you still have a lot of swelling on the opposite side. Feels like a lot of fluid is still in there. I think we'll get some xrays and see from there." He gave Karen some papers and told her to come back after her xrays.

Karen went to the waiting room to get Sidney and they went downstairs so she could get the xrays done.

"What did he say?"

"There's no infection around the incision but there is still a lot of swelling so he wants more xrays done to see what's going on. He said they will take off the cast on my wrist and re-xray it and see if its progressing."

"You ok?"

"I just don't want to go through surgery with my knee again" she said with tears in her eyes.

"It'll be ok baby" Sidney said as he pulled her into a hug. He let her go when they called her in.

Karen got in the room and they first took off the cast on her wrist. When they got it off, they xrayed her wrist first and then she got up on the table so they could get her knee. When they were done, they wrapped her knee and wrist again. After 20 minutes, Karen came back out and they told her it would be at least a couple hours until the doctor would be able to read the film and she told them she would be back.

"What did they say?" Sidney stood up as Karen came out.

"They said to come back in a couple hours."

"Why don't we go grab some lunch then?"

"Sounds good."

Sidney took her hand and went to the car. He took her to their chinese restaurant to make her feel better. Karen would eat but she picked at her food more.

"It's going to be ok baby. They'll find out where the fluid is coming from and they might be able to get it out without surgery."

"You do realize that is the third time you've told me 'it'll be ok'."

"Well I guess I need to say it a few more times until you start to believe me. If surgery is the answer then we'll deal with that decision when it comes."

"Um, we?"

"You honestly think I'd let you go through this alone?"

"No" she whispered.

"It'll be ok" Sidney said laughing which got Karen to laugh. "Say it, it'll make you feel better."

"Everything will be ok." Karen looked into Sidney's eyes and knew everything would. They finished eating and took a drive around. Sidney never really been around Wheeling and Karen showed him the sights of Oglebay Park. She saw where they were getting the decorations set up for the 'Festival of Lights' and made a mental note to bring Sidney down one night to drive through the displays.

Two hours had passed and they were heading back to the hospital and her doctor's office. As soon as they walked in, the nurse told Karen she could head back. She asked if Sidney could go with her and she didn't see a problem with it. Sidney held onto her hand as they walked the hallway to the office.

"Karen, please come in and sit down."

"Dr. Louis, this is my boyfriend Sidney...

"...Crosby?"

"Yes sir. It's nice to meet you" Sidney said as he shook his hand.

"Well the pleasure is all mine. My daughters will be jealous that I got to meet you."


"So, I take it that it's not a problem that he's here?" Karen asked smiling.

"No, it's not. First the good news, your wrist is progressing very well and the bone has fused together like we wanted. It might be weak from having the cast on, but I still want you in a hard brace for the next couple weeks of your medical leave from work. You'll be able to take it off for an hour or two a day or leave it on all day and take it off to sleep. When you do go back to work, I want that brace with you so if working on the computer causes any strain you can put it back on."

"So the bad news is about my knee."

"I'm not going to lie to you Karen, it doesn't look good. The xrays show a lot of swelling around the joint and since there's still fluid in there, it's not going down as fast as we thought."

"Is surgery an option?" Sidney asked.

"It is, but it's going to be the final option. Right now I want to give you a stronger anti-inflammatory pill and we'll see if that helps relieve the fluid and swelling. I want to see you three days before your leave is up to see if I need to extend it for surgery or if you'll be able to go back to work and maybe surgery could still be an option but not a priority. If you walk around on it, I am ordering that you wear the brace and not just have it wrapped."

"Ok. If the swelling goes down but there is still some fluid, would I be able to go to work and stand on it until after the New Year and maybe get the surgery then?"

"If there is still some fluid and you feel like you can go back to work, I want that brace on. I know pushing your cart could be a challenge, but standing for 8 hours I'd prefer you have the stability on your leg. One wrong move and if you fall or twist your knee, we won't be waiting until after the New Year. Understand me?"

"Yes I understand."

"I take it that this young man will be making sure you follow my orders if you don't?"

"I have every intention to make sure she does what she needs to sir" Sidney said smiling at Karen."

"Good. I like this guy Karen."

"Yeah, me too. I have one other question. You saw how I winced when you bent my knee, is there any exercises I can do to limber it up since it's been wrapped or in a brace for a few weeks now?"

"You're staying at your house in Pittsburgh right?"

"Yeah."

"Here is the name and number for a physical therapist in Pitsburgh that you can call and see about maybe getting in twice or three times a week" he said handing her a card.

"Thank you Dr. Louis."

"If you need anything Karen, give me or the office a call. I will call downstairs to the pharmacy for your prescription and you can pick it up before you leave."

"Ok."

"And Sidney, it was a pleasure to meet you. Before you go, could I maybe get you to sign this for my daughters?"

"Sure." Sidney signs the paper and they headed out. They went to the pharmacy to get her meds and left to go back to Pittsburgh.

"Well that was somewhat good news. Have the next two weeks on new medication and then wear the brace after you go back to work. Surgery can wait awhile."

"Yeah, I guess" Karen said somewhat dispondent as she looked out the window.

"What's wrong? I thought you would be happy from what he said."

"I am, I just thought he would tell me there was no swelling or fluid and that after two more weeks of being home, it would be fine."

"It will be baby."

Karen looked over and smiled at Sidney "I love you."

"I love you too baby" Sidney smiled back.

They got back to the house and Sidney helped Karen inside. She went into the living room and sat down.

"Baby, do you mind if I head to the arena and go work out for a little bit?"

"No, go ahead" she said giving him a soft smile.

"I won't go if you want me to stay with you."

"No, Sid go I'll be fine. I already feel bad that you skipped practice to go with me."

"I wanted to go with you alright" Sidney leaned down and kissed her "I'll see you in about an hour or two, ok?"

"Ok."

Sidney kissed her again and then left. Karen sat there and tried to think on the bright about this. She grabbed the card from her pocket and called the hospital to see about scheduling some times for her physical therapy. When she got off the phone, there was a knock at the door and she got up to answer it.

Karen smiled when she opened the door "Max. What are you doing here?"

"Well they said Sid took you to the doctor for your knee and I wanted to see how it went. Everything ok?"

"Yes and no. The doctor didn't find any sign of infection but there is still some swelling and fluid present."

"Then we need to get you to sit down." Max helped her to the couch and they sat down.

"Sorry you just missed Sid. He went to go work out since he missed practice."

"You know once he gets to the arena, he'll put on his gear and skate around for an eternity."

Karen had to laugh at how true it was "I know. I don't blame him though he loves what he does."

"We all do or we wouldn't be playing."

"That is true. So Max, why do I think there is another reason why you stopped over today?" she asked smiling at him.

"I need some advice about your friend Natalie."

"You, superstar, needs advice on a girl? The world must be coming to an end."

"Very funny. Will you help me?"

"What help do you need Max?"

"I need help with getting Nat to possibly be my girlfriend."

"I think I can help with that." Karen said. She smiled at him knowing it might take a some doing, but she was going to try and help the best she could.

2 comments:

Val said...

Love that Max came to her for advice about Natalie, and that Sid is so sweet to her during the day of the doctor's appointment.

More soon, please, as usual!

Unknown said...

i love this story. i love how max is trying to date Natalie. update soooooon please :)