4.19.2009

Chapter 116

"I thought I would stop down and spend some time with you. Are you not happy to see me?"

"Of course I am" he said hugging him "it's just a surprise that your here. Usually you call and let me know when you're coming."

"Well I wanted to surprise you."

Sidney knew that this would be as good as any time to tell him about Karen "dad, why don't we head to one of our rooms. We need to talk about something." Sidney walked towards the elevators with Troy right behind him. They decided to go to Troy's room so they wouldn't disturb the team.

"What's going on Sid? It sounds important."

"It is and there's something you need to know." Sidney took a huge breath "I asked Karen to marry me..."

"Ok, asking her isn't so bad and if she said yes then you can have a long engagement, no harm there with your responsibilities."

"Dad, I asked her last night and she did say yes but we're not having a long engagement..."

"What are you talking about?"

"We got married last night, right at midnight."

"Tell me you are joking with me and you didn't do what you're telling me you did."

"Dad, I love her and this is what we wanted. After a year together, I saw myself with her for the rest of my life. Why can't you understand she balances my life and it's a good thing for me?"

"I understand that you love her, ok but marriage right now is not good Sid. You have the chance to play for the Cup again and this will distract you."

"This will not distract me, damn it dad, when do I get to live my life and do things that feel right to me?"

Troy sat down on the bed and put his head in his hands "Sid you are living your life and your dream, I just want the best for you. You have to know that?"

Sidney sat down beside him "I do know that dad and my whole life you and mom did everything so I can live my dream. I am so appreciative of that but you can't control this part of my life anymore dad. If this is a mistake, I need to find that out on my own but being with her is right."

"Alright Sid, I will back off. I know how much you love her son, I've seen it the few times I've been around you two. You look at her like I look at your mom."

"Then why would you want to take that away from me dad? I have never really been in love with any of my other girlfriends until I met Karen. She loves me for me and that's what I've wanted. I have that now, please don't take it away from me."

"I won't" Troy said hugging him. When they pulled away, Troy noticed his hand "um, if you guys are married why aren't you wearing a ring?"

"I gave it to Karen to wear on a necklace. I didn't want the media to pick up on it until the series is over. Besides, I wanted to tell you first."

"I'm the first one to know?"

"Well, the team knew but out of everyone important, you are."

"I appreciate that son. When were you planning on telling the media because this might not be something you can sit on until the playoffs are over?"

"Let's get through the Flyers first and then we'll talk about it." They continued to talk for another hour before Sidney went to his room to get some sleep for the game tomorrow afternoon. When he got to his room, he changed for bed and then picked up his phone to call Karen.

"Hello" she said answering her phone.

"Hey my wife."

"Mm, hey my husband" she smiled into her phone.

"I miss you like you can't believe."

"Well I miss you too but you'll be home soon."

"Four days is a long time to be away from you baby."

"Um, didn't you go on a 10 day road trip not too long ago?"

"Yeah, but you weren't at home waiting for me so it wasn't so bad."

"Do you want me to go somewhere else so you won't have to miss me so much?"

"You could always come here."

"I could but you know I can't."

"I know. Um, my dad showed up for the games here and I just got done telling him about us getting married."

"How'd it go? Is he mad?"

"He was when I first told him but when we talked a little more, he seems ok with it."

"Really?"

"Yeah. He said that he could see how much we loved each other and that I should be able to live this part of my life."

"So I don't need run and hide next time he's here?"

"No baby" he said laughing "you'll be fine."

"Well I hope you don't mind but I told a couple people today too."

"Who, you're friends?"

"No, Nathalie and Lauren. They invited me for dinner and Lauren just looked at the extra ring on my finger and knew."

"So Mario knows then?"

"I don't think so. He's out of town with Austin and Steph and Nat promised to let you tell him."

"Just me?"

"Ok, both of us if that makes you feel better."

"We'll figure something out when I get home" Sidney looked at the clock "I better get some sleep baby."

"Yeah, since you didn't get a lot last night and I want you ready for the game tomorrow."

"I'll be ready baby. I love you."

"I love you too. Good luck tomorrow."

"Thanks and I will talk to you after the game."

"Ok, night stud."

"Night baby." They hung up and Sidney put his phone on the nightstand, smiling before closing his eyes to fall asleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow.
yayyy his dad's not pissed!!

Val said...

sweet chapter, and I am glad that Troy took it so well...