4.26.2009

Chapter 120

Thursday came and so did game 5. Karen thought about it all day at work and something didn't sit well. When she was done with work and heading home, she still couldn't shake the feeling about tonight's game. Karen pulled up to the house but didn't see Sidney's car in the driveway. She pulled in, going inside and changing clothes. She went into the living room, put her iPod into the speaker dock and turned it on, sitting on the couch and waited for Sidney to come home. A half hour later, she heard a car pull up and soon Sidney appeared.

"There's my baby waiting for me."

"How come you're so late getting home?"

"Stayed on the ice a little bit longer working on a few things for tonight."

Karen wasn't about to tell him her feelings "I hope they work for you."

"Me too" he said sitting beside her "I just want this series to end tonight."

"I know you do stud" Karen said putting her hand in his hair, playing with the curls.

"Will you go in with me tonight?"

"I'd love to" she smiled at him "actually, I already told the girls to meet me at the arena and they figured I would go in with you anyway."

"They are getting pretty smart with all this. Hope they don't mind."

"Since I hold the tickets, they will never mind."

"Good to know" he said looking at his watch "nap time."

"Want some company?"

"Always baby." They got up and Karen turned her iPod off while Sidney waited for her at the steps. They walked upstairs and Karen laid down waiting for Sidney to join her. "Do you think we'll close the series out tonight?"

"You know I don't make predictions Sid."

"I know you don't but I was hoping you'd tell me anyway."

"Sorry but not going to happen. If I'm wrong, I am not going to have you hate me especially if this series goes seven games."

"So you think we'll play to seven then?"

"Stop it and go to sleep" she said then kissed him before holding on to him until he fell asleep.

When the alarm rang an hour and a half later, Karen made sure Sidney was up before heading downstairs and making dinner. After they ate, Karen got dressed so they could head to the arena. She joined him down at the lounge with the guys until the girls showed up. Karen wished them good luck and left, but not before Sidney got his own good luck kiss to the cheers of the room. Karen could feel the heat rise in her cheeks as she went outside to meet her friends. After all this time of showing public displays of affection with Sidney around the guys, they could still make her blush.

Soon, the doors opened and the game got underway. The first period showed signs of a good game as they went scoreless into intermission. The second and third periods however told a different story and the Flyers dominated the game, winning 4-0 and forcing a game six. Karen sat in her seat sick to her stomach that the feelings she's had all day came true. She left the girls and headed to the lounge to wait for Sidney. She peaked in and saw him with the media and felt saddened watching him and his expressions. It was almost an hour before he emerged and saw Karen sitting on the couch.

"Hey baby."

"Hey."

"Ready to go home?" Karen just offered a smile and nodded, getting up and grabbing his outreached hand. They walked out and Sidney didn't feel like signing for anyone to the dismay of the crowd. They got in the car and he headed home. Karen wasn't about to ask him what happened, she knew better than that. She knew if he wanted to talk about it, he would and he knew she would be there to listen. They got home and went inside "mind if I don't join you right away upstairs?"

Karen hugged him then looking directly in his eyes "no, come up when you're ready. I love you."

"I love you too baby. I'll be up in a little bit" Sidney said letting her go and walking into the kitchen. Karen heard him get into the liquor under the sink and sighed heading upstairs.

Sidney poured himself a glass and downed the shot of Jack before pouring one more and then heading to bed. He got undressed to his boxers and crawled into bed.

"You ok?" Karen said somewhat asleep when she felt him hold on to her.

"Yeah, just needed a shot to forget this game. I can't believe we played this fuckin badly and are sending it back to Philly for game 6. The crowd is going to be brutal."

"You guys managed to win one game there, momentum can shift back into your favor on Saturday afternoon."

"I know, we just wanted to put it away tonight."

"It didn't happen and you guys need to just move on. Focus on Saturday's game and practice tomorrow and go into Philly and kick some ass in front of their fans."

"You really need to stop being so positive about all of this baby, it's getting annoying" he said cracking a smile.

"Just wait until you get deeper into the playoffs, it will really get annoying then" Karen smiled "get some sleep stud, tomorrow's another day." Karen turned her head and kissed him before getting comfortable and falling asleep.

Before Karen left for work Friday morning, she gave Sidney a kiss and told him when she saw him Saturday they would be celebrating moving on to the second round. She was glad that even being half asleep, she still got a smile out of him. As she got to work and did her job for a few hours, she got a message telling her she had a new email in her inbox. Karen opened her email and saw it was from Todd in Hamburg. She smiled opening it know he was just going to rub it in about game six, but read it anyway.

Not going to brag, just will make this short and sweet....have extra ticket for the game Sat and you need to get your ass here and go with me.

Karen couldn't believe what she was reading. She knew he was at work and decided to call the store. Karen knew what department he was workng in and with the store not opened yet, he would pick up.

"I figured you would call me" Todd said as he picked up the phone.

"What do you mean you have an extra ticket and want me to go with you?"

"Alexander is sick so Amy needs to stay home with him. Come on, you know you want to."

"You don't have other friends who would kill for a ticket to a playoff game between the Pens and Flyers?"

"Of course, but if you're still dating Sidney I figured I would give you first choice."

"Well today is my early day and I do leave at 10..."

"See, that's perfect. We haven't spoken that much over the last year anyway and need to catch up. What do you say?"

Karen smiled "I say I'll see you sometime tonight."

"That's my girl. Now get off the phone and get back to work slacker."

"Ok" she said laughing "I'll call you when I get to the airport so you can pick me up."

"Will do. Later."

"Bye Todd." Karen couldn't believe he would think of her like that but was glad he did. She found Diane and told her what was going on and said that she would tell others as to why she wasn't watching the game with them. Ten o'clock came and Karen rushed out and up to the house. She had looked at flights on the computer at work and found one leaving around 1p. She didn't really pick a returned flight because when she would tell Sidney she was there, he could hopefully let her come home with the team. If not, she'll wait around for a flight back. She packed an overnight back so she wouldn't have to wait for baggage and headed to the airport. She called Todd and told him what time she'd arrive. As Karen sat in the airport waiting to board, she thought about last year and surprising Sidney during last year's playoff series with the Flyers. She hoped he would be equally surprised again this year. A while later, they called her flight and she boarded the plane for the short flight to Philadelphia.

Friday night, Karen was hanging out with Todd and Amy when her cell phone rang. She saw it was Sidney and went into another room for privacy.

"Hey stud."

"Hey baby. I just needed to hear your voice."

"What's the matter?"

"Nothing. I'm just in this lonely hotel room, which is the same one from last year I believe and the memories of you still linger. I should have pushed you into coming since it was a weekend game."

"Sorry, but hey, it's only for tonight and the game is an afternoon one so you'll be back early enough tomorrow night. Plus we have all day Sunday to be together."

"All day huh? You may need to rest up tonight and tomorrow before I get home."

"I will conserve all energy I promise."

"Tell me we'll win tomorrow. Tell me this ends it and we don't leave it to fate for a seventh game. I need to hear it from you baby."

"You'll pull out a win tomorrow. It may start out rough, but you are the stronger team and will come back with a flurry of goals to win this, silencing this crowd. There won't be a seventh game stud."

Sidney closed his eyes letting the words sink deeper into him "thank you baby. Now only if you were here, it would make that win more special."

"I'm here with you in your heart Sid."

"You're in more than my heart baby." Sidney heard a knock at his door and opened it to reveal Jordan "I better go, heading out to dinner with Staalsy and a few others."

"Ok and tell them I said good luck tomorrow."

"I will. I love you baby."

"I love you too stud. Bye." They hung up and Karen smiled knowing he'd be surprised tomorrow after the game. She did have a good feeling about tomorrow and didn't lie to him about what he needed to hear. Karen went back to Todd and Amy and enjoyed the rest of the evening with her friends.

Saturday morning and Karen woke up in a good mood. She knew the Pens would pull it off and go home with the series clinched. She got ready and headed downstairs to find Amy making breakfast.

"Morning Ames."

"Morning Karen. How'd you sleep?"

"As best I could without a man beside me."

"Aww, you'll see him soon."

"I know. Is it bad to miss him so much?"

"No, that's what love is and from the look on your face you've got it bad."

"You know, I get that a lot."

Amy saw the rings on her finger and couldn't hold it in anymore "did you and Sidney get married?" Karen looked at her rings and realized she didn't have it on last night for them to notice "I don't want to pry or anything but the evidence is overwhelming."

"Yeah we did, last Saturday actually. He surprised me after game two with a midnight skate around the ice. It was our one year anniversary and he asked me, I accepted but he also had a preacher all ready there to marry us that night."

"Wow, sounds romantic."

"It was. He never stops amazing me Ames and I didn't want to let that go."

"Good for you and congrats" she said walking over to hug her.

"Thanks but we really haven't made it public so if you wouldn't say anything."

"I won't and knowing privileged information is exciting." They both laughed and finished making breakfast. Todd soon joined them and they ate before heading to the arena.

"You excited about the game?" he asked her as he parked the car.

"I am always excited about a hockey game. But the question is...you ready for your team to hit the links after today?"

"Don't get cocky on me now. I see you decided to not wear your jersey."

Karen looked at the white t-shirt she got from one of the games "yeah, didn't want anything spilled on it...especially when the Pens win."

"We'll see little girl." They headed into the arena and got in their seats. Karen wanted to text Sidney and tell him she was there, but knew it would mean so much more to wait until after. The game got under way and it started out like last game. Both teams fought hard in the first period and there was no scoring until the Flyers scored back to back goals in under a minute and made it 2-o going into intermission. When the second period started, it brought more than the crowd could handle. The Flyers had scored another goal to make it 3-0 but soon after, Max got into a fight and brought life into the team. The Pens scored three times in the second with Fedotenko, Eaton and Sidney, who tied the game. Karen saw the life after that and knew it would be favorable for them. Going into the third period, Gonchar made the game winning goal and Sidney added an empty net for good measures. Karen stood and cheered with the other fews Penguin fans that were in the arena, it was like she had to. When the final seconds ticked down, Karen and Todd walked out to the concourse and she sent Sidney a text. Karen had her bag with her already so it was easier to either go be with Sidney or have Todd take her to the airport.

Sidney was in the locker room celebrating with the guys. He got his gear off so he could head to the post game media scrum. He was ready to walk out when something told him to check his cell phone. Sidney picked it up and saw there was one message. Bringing the phone with him, he opened it and read the message.

Congrats stud. I knew you could do it. Ready to really celebrate?

Sidney smiled and sent a text back before getting pulled in front of the media. Karen's phone went off and she read the message.

Only if it's with you. I wish you were here with me baby.

Karen smiled and sending what he wanted to hear.

I am here stud...just waiting to see you.

As Sidney was talking, his phone buzzed and waited until he was done to check it. After five minutes, the media let him go and walking back to the locker room, he checked his phone. His eyes had to do a double take when he read what he did. Dialing Karen's number, he needed to find out what was going on.

"Hello" Karen answered sweetly.

"Are seriously here?" Sidney responded.

"Would you be mad if I said yes?"

"Hell no, where are you?"

"Still up on the concourse. I wanted to hear from you first before I left."

"Leave? Where are you going?"

"I was heading to the airport to find a flight out, that is if I don't have any other offers."

"You know I have an offer for you. Are you alone?"

"No, I'm with my friend Todd. He invited me to the game."

"Well bring Todd and get that cute ass down here."

"Since you put it so nicely, we'll be down in a minute." They hung up and Karen asked Todd if he wanted to head to the locker room. His smile told her more than yes and she laughed as they headed down. They got stopped by security but soon Sidney came out and told them it was ok.

He scooped Karen up into a hug "I can't believe you came down baby."

"Well you need to thank this guy here" she said pulling away from him.

"Nice to see you again Todd" he said shaking his hand.

"You too Sidney. Great game today."

"Thanks. So, how did this happen?"

"My son is sick and my wife had to stay home with him. I emailed Karen and told her to come down for the game. I think she took a matter of a minute to agree."

"I don't doubt that. Come on, let's head into the locker room. I'm sure some of the guys will be eager to see you." They walked into the locker room and Sidney made a little announcement "look who I found roaming around."

Max was the first one up and hugged her "tell me Nat came with you."

"Sorry Maxwell, was invited by myself but she's home waiting for you."

"That's ok, glad you came to see us win." Karen felt bad that she couldn't bring Natalie for him but this wasn't her trip down. Soon, all the guys came over to say hi and Karen went to sit by Sidney in his stall as Todd talked to some of the players.

"I can't believe you're actually here."

"Just making your wish come true."

"You make all my wishes come true baby. How are you getting home?"

"I guess I'll just have Todd take me to the airport and see what flight I can get out and meet you home."

"No, you are coming home with me and I don't think anyone will have a problem with that."

"You sure?"

"Definitely."

"I think I'm going to get Todd out of here so you guys can finish getting ready."

"Ok, just wait for me outside in the hallway and I'll be out in a few minutes." Karen nodded and got up, only to be brought back down for a kiss. Sidney let her go and she went to get Todd and head out.

"I swear I could stay in there all day" Todd exclaimed.

"And why's that?"

"Just talking to them. They are amazing guys."

"I may make a Penguins fan out of you yet."

"Ha ha, don't bet on it." Todd looked at his watch "I better get home. Everything ok for you getting home?"

"Yeah, thank you so much for the extra ticket. You are a great friend" she said hugging him goodbye.

"I do what I can, just keep me in your thoughts if the Pens make the final round and I will gladly make the trip up to Pittsburgh."

"Will do. I'll talk to you soon." She said then walked him out before going back to the hallway to wait for Sidney.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Aww I love the way they surprise each other! :) And Saturday was such a great day!

Val said...

Here's a shocker - I agree with Lauren!