4.25.2009

Chapter 119

Later that morning, Sidney was at practice with the team and every now and then couldn't stop smiling when he wasn't in the middle of a drill. At the end of practice, Sidney was thankful he got his shot in during the shoot out and didn't have to stay till the end like last time. He skated off the ice and got what little gear he could before the media got to him. After a few minutes, they left him alone and went to another player. Max sat in his stall beside him and just smiled.

"So, how did last night go?"

"Let's just say, Bambi took care of it all" he said smiling back at him.

"That she did. Natalie was a bit friskier then she's ever been too."

"Is that right?"

"Yep and since I'm really not one to brag, we'll just leave it at that."

Sidney began laughing "thank you, really." They both finished getting their gear off and got their showers to head home.

When Sidney got home, he decided to fix something for lunch and wait for Karen to get home. A couple hours of watching tv, he heard a car pull up and smiled when she walked through the door.

"Hey baby" he said looking at her from the couch.

"Why is it that I always give you a better greeting than that?"

"Well if you come join me, I'm sure I can make it a little better." Karen walked over to the couch and sat down beside him, letting their lips meet for the ultimate kiss "so?"

"That was definitely better. How was practice, were you juice boy again?" she smiled.

"No, thank god. I still think they had it planned I would lose."

"Oh poor baby" she said kissing him again "what do you want to do for dinner later?"

"Actually, you feel like going out?"

"Where?"

"Not sure yet but somewhere we'll both like."

"I think that can work. Mind if I grab a nap before we go?"

"Still a little tired from last night?"

"Yes and it wasn't from not sleeping" she smiled then kissed him getting off the couch and walking out of the room.

"Want some company? I am a little worn out myself" Sidney said meeting her by the steps. She held out her hand and he took it, walking upstairs with her. They boh changed into shorts and a t-shirt, crawling into bed. Sidney set the alarm for two hours before Karen curled up to his warm body and fell asleep.

When the alarm finally rang, Sidney reached for it and came back to Karen "time to get up baby."

"Mmm, don't wanna?"

"Come on, we need to get up so we're not late."

"Late for what?"

"Dinner, where else."

"Did you make reservations somewhere?"

"Let's just get up and get dressed so we can go" he said not offering up any information and getting out of bed. Karen stayed there for a minute then got up and got ready. Sidney said to keep it casual and she did with a pair of capris and nice top as he had on a short sleeve polo shirt and a pair of jeans. He sneaked in a kiss before they headed out. Sidney pulled up to a quaint little restaurant and parked. He got out, going around to help Karen out of the passenger side.

"Since you decided to wear your wedding ring, I'm assuming you are not caring who may pick up on it" Karen said holding his hand.

"I am taking my wife out for dinner and at this point, I want the world to know" he said opening the door for her. They walked in and Sidney talked to the hostess before she guided them to a table. Karen smiled when she saw Mario and Nathalie already there. She gave Sidney a look and hugged them before sitting down.

"Karen, it is always a pleasure to see you" Mario hugged her.

"You too" she said.

"Sid, I hardly see you outside of the arena. She must have some power over you to keep you away."

Sidney looked to Karen and smiled "she does have something."

"So, not that I don't enjoy dinner out with great friends but I get the feeling something's going on. Care to explain Sid?"

"Mario, don't insinuate anything" Nathalie said hittling his arm lightly. "Stop interrogating them."

"It's alright Nat, it's the reason I asked you guys here. There is something going on and you should hear it from me...well us."

"I'm listening."

"I asked Karen to marry me, she said yes and we got married at center ice after game 2 at midnight" Sidney said holding up each of their left hands showing the rings.

Mario looked from Sidney to Karen and then to their hands taking a deep breath "I know."

"What do you mean you know?" Karen asked shocked.

"I was still around and when I started to leave a few minutes before midnight, I saw the lights over the ice still on and when I went to see why I saw you two and a man on center ice. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what was going on."

"Why didn't you say anything?" Sidney asked.

"I figured you wanted it to be kept a secret until you were ready to say something."

"It wasn't so much of a secret when the whole team knew" Karen nudged him smiling.

"Most of them knew because I was asking for some advice about it."

"You needed advice to ask me to marry you?"

"Yes I did baby. I wasn't sure how you'd react, let alone answer me and I knew if I planned it perfectly you couldn't say no."

"She wouldn't have said no" Nathalie stated smiling at Karen who smiled back remembering their earlier conversation.

"What?" he said shocked and confused.

"Can we maybe discuss this later?" Karen pleaded with her eyes.

"So if the team knew and I knew, who all have you told about this?"

"Well I told Nat and Lauren at dinner."

"And I told my dad when he came to Philly for games 3 and 4, who I am guessing told my mom when he went back."

"If all the main people know then when the media finds out, everyone will be able to handle it and it won't be a distraction for you."

"If they find out before the playoffs are over, then they find out but I don't plan on discussing my private life until then."

"Good to hear, but you might want to tell Ray, Ken and a few others after this series with the Flyers end."

"I will." They ordered their food when the waitress came back over and continued talking. When their food came, Sidney and Mario talked about the series as Karen and Nathalie talk about everything other than hockey. After they ate, Mario and Nathalie left to give them some alone time.

"Do you want dessert baby?"

"Not really, kind of full."

"How about we share something?" Sidney made a motion for the waitress who went to the back and then came out a minute later with a plate. She set it down in front of them with two forks and left. Sidney picked up a fork and get some cake on it "here."

Karen took the bite from the fork "mm, that was good." She grabbed her fork and did the same for Sidney. "Ok, let me guess what just went on here...we shared a piece of wedding cake?"

"Well we got married, the celebration after was our reception so I guess this would be the cake part."

"So when's the honeymoon?"

"When the season's over."

"How did I not think of that" she said sarcastically.

Sidney put his arm around her bringing her closer to him "at least we already had the wedding night."

"True. You would have waited around with that and you'd be sleeping on the couch."

"I am glad for that baby, believe me. Do you know how much I love you?"

"Not more than how much I love you."

"I'm serious Karen, I don't think you'll ever know how deep my feeling run for you."

"I don't think I want to know...I rather you express them to me every day we're together."

"That I can do baby, as long as you do the same."

"Deal." Sidney leaned in and brought Karen to him for a sweet kiss before they left. He opened the car door for her and waited for her to get in before shutting the door. He went around to get in himself and they headed home. The twenty minute car ride home, silence filled the car. It was one of their moments that they loved being together without letting conversation ruin it. They held hands the entire way until Sidney pulled into the driveway. Karen got out and met Sidney, walking into the house. She went to the living room and Sidney joined her, cuddling up with each other.

"What did Nat mean about you wouldn't have said no?"

"When I told them about us getting married and how you already had the license, the rings, and the preacher that you went to all that trouble, I couldn't really say no to you."

"I believe that, but I think there's something else."

"The longer we stayed together, the more thoughts of marriage came creeping back into my head. I did want more of a committment from you and I did ultimately wanted us to get married one day. So even if you would have asked me at any time, I wouldn't have said no."

"How long would you have waited for me to ask?"

"Forever, unless I got a better offer from someone else."

"I don't think that would have happened."

"Talk to a couple of your teammates and then get back to me."

Sidney got up and pulled her with him "why don't we go to bed and discuss this more." He leaned down to kiss her and then took her hand and leading her upstairs for the night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

another great chapter =]

Val said...

I love how sweet Sid is with Karen and vice versa and also how he handled it with Mario and Nat - fab, as always, and more soon, as always!

Lauren said...

Aww they are just so sweet! :)

More soon, please!