10.09.2008

Chapter 30

Before long it was nearing game time and the girls were heading to the arena. Karen tried to keep up with the conversation but earlier with Sidney still plagued her. There was still that feeling that he would break up with her for someone his own age. She pushed the thoughts out of her head when she pulled into the parking garage and found a spot. They got out and walked up to the arena. As they walked past the players' entrance, Karen didn't see Sidney's car yet. They went to their spot above the lot and waited, watching all the players come in. Karen had scanned the crowd of people waiting by the players' lot and her eyes narrowed on one person...Sophia Jenkins.

"Well look who finally made her way out of the cave?" Karen pointed her out.

"Considering we haven't seen her in a few months, does it really surprise you she's here?"

"Not really. It just bothers me who she here to prey on." In a matter of minutes, Sidney pulled up and Karen watched Sophia intently push her way to the fence. Karen saw Sidney wave to the crowd and head towards the entrance. He looked up and saw Karen, smiling at her and waving to the crowd around her to not tip anyone off. At least that's what she thought. Karen looked back to the crowd by the lot and saw Sophia's eyes burning a hole in her and it hit Karen like a ton of bricks....she now knows. Soon enough, the doors opened and everyone started going in.

During warm ups, Sidney had watched Karen talking with her friends. She would look at the ice every now and then and would watch Sidney take some shots. When the players were weeding down and heading off the ice, Karen looked at the ice and found Sidney still skating around. He looked at her and gave a simple head motion that meant for Karen to go down to the locker room to meet him. Against her better judgment, she left her seat and headed in the direction. Karen flashed her pass and soon found Sidney waiting for her.

"What are you doing? You're supposed to be in the locker room getting ready for the game not out here with me."

"Well you shouldn't have come down to distract me?" Sidney said with an evil smirk.

"Don't motion for me to come meet you then."

"Why didn't you just tell me no?"

"Because it's hard to say no to you."

Sidney wrapped his arms around her and pulled her as close as his padding would allow "I just wanted a good luck kiss to get me going."

"Our kisses usually get you going but in a different way."

"Just one little kiss?" Sidney leaned down and met Karen's lips. Karen stood up on her tip toes as the kiss deepened. They broke apart when they heard someone clear their throat. Karen blushed when she saw Mario standing behind Sidney. She leaned up and kissed Sidney on the cheek, said a quick hello to Mario then headed back to her seat. Sidney was about to explain when Mario put his hand up to stop him and walked away laughing. Sidney went back into the locker room and was ready to hit the ice.


When Karen was about to go to her seat she heard a familiar voice stop her.


"Well, well, well. Look who's here."


Karen sighed and turned around "Sophia. Haven't seen you around the last couple round of games. What happened, you lose your meal ticket?"


"Why don't we talk about your meal ticket. After Rick I thought you came to your senses about dating hockey players."


"Who says I'm dating one?"


"Please, I saw the look Sidney gave you and when I made a comment to myself some girl said she's seen you with him at a game looking very much like a couple. Do I even need to tell you?"


"You know what Sophia, you want him go for him. I'm not dating him so he's up for grabs. Good luck trying to get to him though."


"What's that supposed to mean?"


"If you can get through Mario's approval, I'm sure there will be no stopping you then. Enjoy the game." Karen walked away but then smirked when her back was to her. Karen knew if Sophia knew Sidney was still single she wouldn't go for him. That was never the attraction for her, she wanted the ones she knew she couldn't have because of a girlfriend or wife. Karen made it back to her seat in time as the players were coming out on the ice.


The Pens won the game 4-2 and Sidney had gotten the first goal. Karen saw how happy he was when they were celebrating on the ice, but she felt a twinge of sadness knowing she couldn't celebrate the win with him. Before Sidney skated off, he looked towards Karen and she gave him a small wave. He knew she was telling him goodbye and he smiled, winking at her. She knew after he got done with everything he would call her but now Karen looked forward to Tuesday even more.


Karen and her friends got into Wheeling around 11p and when she got to the house she got undressed and climbed into bed. Just as she was falling asleep her phone rang. Karen smiled to herself and answered it.


"Hello."

"I love you. I know you're in bed but I just had to call and tell you that. I will talk to you tomorrow. Sleep tight and I love you baby." Sidney hung up before he would let her respond so she texted him then went to sleep.

Monday at work Karen couldn't concentrate at all. All she kept thinking was leaving after work and heading to Philly. The girls decided to leave Monday night so they weren't tired on Tuesday for the game. At lunch, Karen called Todd and made the final arrangements. As soon as she got off with him, her phone rang again.

"Hey my hockey stud" Karen said into the phone after seeing it was Sidney.

"Hey baby. I missed you last night."

"I missed you too. When are you guys leaving?"

"In a couple of hours. Man, this week is going to go so slow without seeing you."

Karen smiled to herself "I think we'll be fine. Distance does make the heart grow fonder for the one you love."

"I'll have to remember that when I go back home."

"Yeah me too." Karen looked at her watch "baby, I need to go back."

"Ok. I don't like it but ok. I'll call you after we get into Philly and I get settled at the hotel."

"I will be counting down the hours. I love you."

"I love you too baby."

They hung up and Karen rushed to clock back in. She finished her work and left at 1p going to Maggie's to get her clothes packed. She brought extra clothes from her house so they wouldn't have to make a stop there after they got going. She still had three hours before everyone would be ready to go so she decided to take a nap.

Around 4p, everyone was ready and met up to head to Philly. With it being a 5 hour drive, Karen decided to stop outside the city and get a hotel. Todd works the same 4a shift that she does and didn't want to disrupt him getting to bed for work. They checked in and got a late dinner before going to their rooms for the night. Karen was on the bed watching tv while Sheril was in the shower. She heard her phone go off and got up to get it.

"Hello."

"Hey baby. Your not in bed yet are you?"

"Well I am in bed but not asleep yet. I can go to sleep at 10:30p and still function on 4 hours of sleep for work. So we're good for at least a half hour."

Just then, Sheril came out of the bathroom and Karen quickly motioned for her to not talk. She mouthed that Sidney was on the phone. Sheril grabbed her clothes and went back into the bathroom to get dressed. When she came out, she grabbed her key card and left them alone for a bit.

"Maybe I'll tell you a bedtime story to help you fall asleep."

"What bedtime story could you possibly tell me?"

"One upon a time..." Karen began to giggle "stop it baby and just listen. Once upon a time there was this guy who met this vibrant woman. She intrigued him by playing his game and literally beating him at it. This he noticed and it made him want to find out more about her. What he found out was how beautiful she was to him. It was her natural beauty that caught his eye but it was her hockey skills that stole his heart." Karen couldn't hold in her laugh as he continued "and eventhough he led her believe that he was pursuing her, it was clear to everyone that she was on the prowl after him. He had the sweet young face that the world loved including her, she just was to stubborn to admit it to herself. After many carefully planned casual meetings, she finally gave into him. It was a love affair that neither had expected but was willing to give it a chance. Ever since then, they fell in love with each other more and more and couldn't wait until they saw each other again. Their love was special and they didn't care who objected it, they fought through it to stay together...forever. The end." Karen had tears running down her cheeks "did you like the story baby?"

"Yes, but it seemed more like a true story than a fairy tale. I thought all bedtme stories were made up fantasies that depicted the way we wanted love to be like."

"This does seem like a fairy tale, but we made it come to life. We met, we fell in love."

"And we have your dad trying to put a wedge inbetween us. Sounds like a modern Romeo and Juliet."

"As long as we don't end up like they did." Sidney was quiet for a moment before he spoke again "I wouldn't change anything that happened between us baby. Just keep telling yourself that over and over again."

"I will. Thank you for my bedtime story, I think I will be able to have some nice dreams from it."

"I just hope those dreams include me."

"They have since the first day I met you stud."

"Good. Get some sleep, I will call you tomorrow before the game. I love you."

"Ok. I love you too Sidney. Night."

"Night baby."

They hung up and Karen laid there and just thought about him and everything that has happened with him. She smiled to herself as Sheril came back in.

"Is it safe to come back? You didn't get freaky on my bed did ya? I know phone sex can get out of hand."

"As much as I hate to disappoint you, nothing happened. We just talked."

"He is going to be shocked when he finds out you planned this trip."

"I know but it'll be worth it."

"Something else bothering you?"

"If Steve was younger than you when you two met, would you have pursued being with him whether people approved or not?"

"Yeah I would. If I loved him they way I know you love Sidney, of course. You more than anybody knows love is rare and when you find that perfect someone you hold on to them. If I didn't dig my claws into Steve, god knows who I'd be stuck with."

"Yeah that is a scary thought. It was bad enough you and Steve already procreated."

"Ha ha, very funny. Come on, let's get to sleep so we can get to the meat."

"Night girl."

"Night."

Karen closed her eyes and couldn't stop the thoughts of Sidney from entering her dreams as she fell asleep.

The next day, the girls stayed around the hotel until check out time. When they left and headed to Todd's house he would be home from work. After meeting up with Todd, the girls hung out and they had dinner before going to the game. When they got there and went inside the arena, Karen's phone rang. She smiled knowing it was Sidney.

"Hey stud, getting ready for the game?" Karen wondered if the fans chanting 'let's go Flyers' would tip him off.

"Baby, where are you?"

"The girls and I decided to go out to watch the game tonight." Just then, the announcer came on and welcomed everyone to the game. Karen knew right then she was busted.

Sidney heard an echo of the announcer through his phone and smiled "baby? Where are you exactly?"

"Oh, did I forget to tell you that I was able to get tickets to the games here in Philly?"

"Are you kidding me?"

"I would never tease you, well at least not about hockey. How about you get ready to come out for warm ups and I will cheer my ass off for you during the game?"

"I'll take that. One more thing...where are you sitting?"

"Now what fun would that be. You want to see me, you need to find me Crosby. Love you."

Karen hung up before Sidney could protest. She knew tonight was going to be a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Val said...

I think you should change your name to kiki is the bomb :) Loved it, and keep updating, you rock...

Sam said...

Awesome! I love how the announcer comes on when she's on the phone with him. I bet he'll be scoping the stands for her! Please post more soon! =]