12.09.2008

Chapter 59

After Karen got dressed, she looked around the bedroom to see if she forgot anything. She looked at Sidney's closet and saw the Rimouski sweatshirt she put on during Sidney's birthday party.

"He won't miss it and if he does, he'll just have to come get it" Karen said to herself as she took it out of the closet. She smiled and folded it as tight as she could and hoped she could get it in her bag before he saw her. Karen took one last look and remembered all that happened in the room. She took a deep breath and left, heading downstairs. When she got to the bottom, she saw Sidney was still in the kitchen and she practically ran to the living room and opened her bag fast and stuck the sweatshirt inside. Karen smiled as she zipped up the bag and Sidney came in with a plate and two glasses.

"I was just about to call you baby."

"I got everything from upstairs."

"You probably got my sweatshirt too."

Karen stood there stunned "what are you talking about?"

Sidney walked over to the bag and unzipped it, pulling out his sweatshirt from Rimouski and holding it up "this sweatshirt."

"Where did that come from?" she said playing along.

"Baby, if you want to take it back with you it's fine. I know its in perfect hands."

"How did you know I had it?" Karen asked smiling.

"I heard you come down and then you ran in here, so I figured you were taking something of mine" Sidney said pulling her into his arms.

"You really don't mind?"

"No I don't baby. Besides, if I want it, I know exactly where it is."

"What if I'm wearing it when you want it back?"

"Then I won't hesitate to take it off you" Sidney said leaning down to kiss her. They broke apart and sat down to eat.

Twenty minutes later, they were heading for the airport. Sidney held Karen's hand while she looked out the window. Karen tried to will herself not to cry and that this goodbye was not going to be like when Sidney left. Yes, she was sad to be leaving him but he would be back in a few weeks and staying around after.

"You ok baby?" Sidney asked looking at her.

"Yeah."

"Do you want to make it a little more convincing?"

"I'm ok Sid. Yes, I'm sad to leave but I just keep telling myself you'll be back before I know it."

Sidney lifted her hand to his lips and kissed the back of it, getting a smile from her "it'll be ok this time."

"I know. I won't get all hysterical this time, I promise."

"Maybe it's my turn."

"Well I won't tell anyone if you do stud."

They continued to the airport in silence but it was a good silence. After another 30 minutes, Sidney pulls into the parking lot at the airport and got Karen's bag. Karen grabbed her carry on bag and they walked into the airport hand in hand. Karen got checked in and they allowed Sidney to go with her to the gate. She just laughed at that because one, there was no security like in Pittsburgh and two, they really weren't going to deny him access. Karen never cared what fame he brought to the relationship but was happy this time for it. They got through security and headed for the gate Karen was leaving from.

"Will you watch my bag while I run to the bathroom?"

"Of course baby."

Karen gave Sidney her bag and headed to the bathroom. When she came back a few minutes later, Karen saw Sidney sitting there with his head down and a blank stare on his face. Karen walked over and sat down beside him, putting her hand on his back.

"My turn to ask now, you ok?"

"Yeah why?"

"You look lost."

"I'm just thinking that if you did what my mom wanted, today would be ending very differently."

"I like this ending better."

"Me too" Sidney said looking at her and smiling making her smile back. A few minutes later, they began to call the passengers for boarding. Karen stood up as did Sidney. They just looked at each other and Sidney pulled her into a hug. They held onto each other until Karen heard the final boarding call.

"You better go baby."

"I know. Thank you for my week, I didn't want to be anywhere else."

"I wouldn't have wanted you anywhere else. I love you baby."

"I love you too stud."

They both smiled at their nicknames for each other. Sidney leaned in for a kiss and when Karen pulled back she saw the tears in his eyes.

"Ma'am, we need you to board" said one of the gate attendents.

Karen just nodded and picked up her bag. She brought her hand up and caressed Sidney's cheek before smiling at him and walking to the doorway. As she handed her ticket to the woman, Karen looked back to Sidney and mouthed 'I love you'. She saw him say the same and she left to get on the plane. As Karen took her seat by the window, she could see the terminal and Sidney standing by the window. She smiled and put her hand on the window hoping he saw her. Sidney watched the plane taxi away from the terminal and left when he couldn't see it anymore. Karen wiped her eyes and closed them as the plane took off and she was actually leaving him. Sidney got back to his car, sitting in the drivers seat for a minute. He was about to start the car when his phone rang.

"Hey dad" Sidney said after seeing who was calling.

"Did Karen get off ok?"

"Yeah, she did."

"Did you do it?"

"No dad, I didn't."

"Sid..."

"Look, I'm not getting into this right now. She's gone and I'm heading home. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

Sidney hung up and threw his phone on the passenger seat. He couldn't believe his dad would do this to him, especially right now.

Flashback

Sidney was talking with his parents after they came back from lunch and Karen went outside. His mom and dad wouldn't let up about breaking it off with her before she left.

"Sid, its the best thing to do here."

"The best for who dad? Why can't you guys be happy that I found someone that balances my life."

"She may balance it now Sidney, but what happens when it falls apart and your game suffers?"

"My game won't suffer mom."

"It's obvious that she isn't going to take my advice, but you need to."

"Your mother's right son, end it now and when you get back in a few weeks you can concentrate on what you need to."

That was the last thing said before they left and Sidney went outside to find Karen. He wasn't about to let what they said bother him and only needed to concentrate on Karen for the next few hours.

End Flashback

Sidney shook the thoughts from his head and drove home wondering what he was going to do.

Karen finally landed in Pittsburgh. She found her car and drove to the house. She decided to stay at the house and drive down to Wheeling later in the day. Karen was exhausted and left her bag in the car, planning on getting it after she woke up. She locked up and went to bed, thinking of Sidney and replaying her week with him.

About 10am, Karen woke up and laid in bed for a few minutes before getting up. She heard her cell phone go off and she found it on the bedside table, picking it up and answering it.

"Hello."

"Morning baby. Did I wake you?"

"No, I just woke up actually. I didn't have anyone beside me to stay cuddled up to."

"How come?"

"My boyfriend had to leave a few hours ago."

"Ah, anyone I know?"

"Nah, he's just some stand in guy I keep around when my hot hockey stud can't be with me."

"Well, you better get your time with him now because when the hockey stud returns in a few weeks, he won't be coming around anymore."

"Fair enough" Karen giggled into the phone "I missed you last night when I fell asleep."

"I missed you too. Woke up and found myself holding onto my pillow. I think I missed holding you during the night and I grabbed the nearest thing."

"Did you go work out this morning?"

"Not yet, kind of heading there now. I just needed to hear your voice before I started my day."

"Aw, baby. Well, you go get your work out in and know that I love you and that I am counting down the days until I see you again."

"I love you too and definitely can't wait until I get back. Talk to you soon baby, bye."

"Bye stud."

They hung up and Karen laid there smiling before she got up. She got dressed and went to her car to get her bag so she could wash her clothes. Karen brought her bag into the living room and opened it up, sorting out her clothes. She picked up Sidney's sweatshirt and brought up to her nose and smelled it. She loved how it smelled like him. She put it down and emptied out the rest of the bag. When she did, Karen found a manilla envelope in the bottom of the bag and picked it up, opening it. She smiled when she saw the pictures of Sidney from his Reebok photo shoot. As she flipped through them, Karen stopped on the next picture and put the rest of them down. It was the pictures of them that the photographer took at Sidney's request. She carefully examined all three of them and smiled remembering that day. Her smiled turned to tears welling up in her eyes when she saw the fourth picture. Karen saw them standing facing each other and Sidney's lips on her forehead. Karen remembered the feeling in her heart when he did that, she just didn't know the photographer snapped it. She grabbed her phone and called Sidney, getting his voicemail. She left him a message and then hung up, grabbing her clothes and taking them to the laundry room.

Sidney heard his phone go off, but left it alone since he was on the leg press machine. After he got done, he got a drink of water and opened his phone, playing the voicemail.

Hey stud. I found an envelope of pictures in my bag and wanted to tell you thank you. I forgive for lying to me and telling me you didn't get them so I could be surprised. I think I'm going to blow my favorite one up and hang it on my ceiling. Something sexy to look at until you get back. You are too sweet to me and I love you. Bye baby.

Sidney just smiled and hung up, putting his phone away and getting back to his work out.

A few hours later, Karen was driving to Wheeling since she needed to go to work tomorrow. She got to Maggie's house and brought her stuff in. She decided to stay in Wheeling for the next couple of weeks since Sidney was still gone and there wasn't a need to go to the house right now. Maggie heard her come in, going to see her.

"Hey, you're back."

"Yeah, can't stay away from work forever."

"I don't see how you can stay away from Sidney for that long either. You must be glutton for punishment."

"I think I am. I miss him so much Mags and I only left him yesterday."

"I know you do, but he'll be back soon enough and then I will hear nonstop about him."

"Maybe not."

"What do you mean?"

"I kind of told him that if he wanted to, he could spend more time at my house which means, I might be spending more time at my house with him and commuting to work."

"YOU ASKED HIM TO MOVE IN WITH YOU? Are you nuts girl?"

"Not really move in with me. I told him if he wanted a little more peace and quiet to get ready for home games, he could stay at the house until he had to leave to be at the arena. But I did tell him that on weeks they had a home stance, I would stay up there with him. Its a small step we're taking."

"So you'll still be here every now and again?"

"Yes Mags. I'm not going to abandon you completely. Maybe I want to see if this is going where I think it is."

"Where do you want it to go? Living together full time? Marriage?"

"I don't know" Karen said with some sadness to her voice.

"Did something happen?"

"I knew his dad didn't like me and when I first met his mom, we hit it off great. But the next time we saw each other she told me to break it off with Sidney before I left to come home. I didn't but I can't shake the feeling that something is going to happen when he gets back."

"Karen, he loves you. Everyone sees it. His parents just want him to focus on his career right now. You have nothing to worry about, ok?"

"Yeah ok. I just miss him and its like part of my heart is gone until he comes back to make it whole again. I don't want to lose him Mags."

"Damn girl, you got it bad."

"Too bad I know. How about some dinner, my treat?"

"How can I turn down an offer like that. Let me change and I will be right back."

Karen waited as Maggie changed and then they went out to eat. Karen told her all about Nova Scotia and what all they did. After they got done eating, they headed back to the house and lounged around. Karen showed her the pictures before going to bed and back to the working grind.

2 comments:

Val said...

okay, that was one of the sweetest chapters, so far...

he better not break up with her, or else...they have been through a lot, already!

great, as always, keep writing, please...

Lauren said...

They are so freaking sweet!

And he better just ignore his parents' request!