12.21.2008

Chapter 68

Karen watched as Sidney turned around and walked to the front door, going outside. She walked over to the table and sat down with her back towards the doorway. She never wanted to hurt him but she had to tell him. Karen knew what that night was and what it meant she just hoped Sidney would understand.

As Karen sat there she heard the front door open then shut again. She turned her head looking directly at a bouquet of a dozen roses.

Sidney handed them to her "there's another surprise in the hallway" he said speaking softly.

Karen stood up and put the flowers on the table. She wiped her eyes and followed Sidney out into the hallway. She smiled when she saw the guys standing there. “Well isn’t this a surprise. If you guys are the welcome wagon, you’re a few years late.”

Jordan walked over to her and gently hugged her. “Sid told us you were hurt so we came by to see you.” He looked at her and saw all the bruises and bandages “damn Darryl, what’d you do to her?”

Karen just smiled at Jordan “I made a rookie mistake…he found some Adidas in my closet.”

“I hope you got rid of it” Jordan laughed with her.

“Nope, I left it there so he sees it everytime he’s here.”

Sidney walked over and put his arm around her waist softly. He didn't want the others to know they had just hit a snag in making up. “Just wait until I replace it all, you won’t be complaining then.”

“I’m not complaining now, you are.”

“She’s got you there Sid” Geno said walking up to them. “I guess you will do anything to get out of our Twister rematch” he said as he hugged her.

“Didn’t it come down to between you and Jordan? Why do I get the pleasure of a rematch?”

“Between you and Jordan, it’s no contest. Besides, you’re better to look at when you are bending in all different ways.”

“Do you want to jump in here at all Sid?” Karen asked with pleading eyes.

“I think Geno has a point. I know I was impressed by the positions you can get in to.” Sidney smiled then whispered “you know what you need to do baby.”

“Fine, I’ll get rid of my Adidas clothes.”

“Good girl” Sidney said kissing her temple. “Forget it Geno, it’s never going to happen.”

“Никогда не говорите никогда Crosby” Geno said in Russian as he walked away laughing.

“Where’s Gonch when you need him.”

“I hate to admit it, but the man is smooth” Jordan said with a smile.

“How about we call for some pizzas?” Ryan suggested to the group and everyone agreed. Sidney knew the number and made the call. Karen went into the kitchen as the guys all went into the living room to watch TV. After Sidney got done ordering, he went to find Karen.

"I figured they didn't need to know what's going on, so it was better to act like we normally do around them."

"Yeah, whatever you want to do it's fine" she said still not looking at him.

"Come with me for a second" Sidney took her hand and led her outside to the back porch. "I told the guys about your accident and they wanted to come see you."

"It's fine, I don't mind that they came over."

Sidney heard a knock at the door "we'll finish talking when they leave ok." He kissed her forehead and left to pay for the pizzas. Karen stood outside for a minute to collect herself before going in and joining up with the guys.

After a few hours of eating and telling stories, the guys left leaving Karen and Sidney alone. Karen started to clean up but Sidney stopped her. “I’ll get this, sit down and rest.”

“I’ve been resting the last couple of hours. I can clean up without hurting myself.”

“Well I’m sure you can, but you’re not going to so sit.”

Karen sat down and watched Sidney take the empty pizza boxes to the kitchen. She heard him open a trash bag then came back with another one for the rest of it. When he was done, he took the bag to the kitchen and then came back sitting beside her on the couch. Sidney carefully moved Karen so she could cuddle up to him as they watched TV for a little bit. She figured he didn't want to talk yet so she enjoyed being with him, even if it could be for the last time. An hour had passed and Sidney hadn’t heard anything from Karen and saw she was asleep when he looked down at her. He got up without disturbing her and gently picked her up. He carried her up to her room and put her in bed. He went back downstairs to lock up and soon joined her.

After Sidney got back upstairs, he went into the bathroom and came out in his boxers. He laid down gently and rolled over so he was facing Karen. He put his arm around her waist and kissed her head. When he pulled back he saw Karen looking directly at him.

"That night didn't mean what you think it does."

"Ssh, we'll talk about it tomorrow."

"We need to talk about it now Sid. I had so much unresolved feelings about Rick that seeing him brought a lot of them back. I guess he sent someone to come get me and we started talking before the game. That's why you saw me by the locker room after warm ups. We agreed to talk after the game and I met up with him outside. We went to the hotel where they were staying and had a late dinner and talked. After dinner we went to his room and I don't know if it was not being with you or all the feelings for him that came back but when he kissed me, something felt right at that moment."

"Does it still mean something?"

"No. The next morning when I looked at him I knew there wasn't any feelings left for him. It was like we closed the book on us and it was what I needed." Karen couldn't stop the tears that started to fall "I never planned for it to happen but I'm glad it did. He kissed me before he left that morning and there were no feelings between us, no spark, nothing. After I left to go home I knew I that I wanted to be with you." Karen searched Sidney's eyes for anything that would give her a glimpse of hope "please say something."

"So if something did happen between Sophia and I..."

"I don't really think I have a place to judge now. It's not like we really cheated on each other since we weren't together."

"But still knowing you were with someone else, it's going to be hard."

"I know" she whispered.

"Just go to sleep baby, we'll figure this out tomorrow." Sidney pulled her close and Karen laid there with her eyes open for a little bit before finally closing them and trying to fall alseep.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

aww I think Sid is handling that REALLY well...