12.13.2008

Chapter 61

Karen had Sidney take her to the Olive Garden for dinner. They were able to request a booth in the back room away from mostly everyone. The waiter came over and took their drink order. When he returned, Sidney ordered for both of them and he left leaving them alone.

"Are you still mad at me?" Sidney asked reaching for her hand and holding it.

"No. I know Media Day is a big deal."

"Thank you for understanding baby."

"You still should have told me earlier though."

"I know and I will make it up to you I promise."

"Since you'll be in New York now, you still coming with me for the 11th?"

"Of course I am. I wouldn't let you go through that alone."

"Thanks."

"When would we be leaving?"

"Late afternoon on the 10th and then we'll come back early on the 12th. That way you can get a work out in before we leave and after we come back if you want."

"Sounds like a plan to me."

Soon their food came and they continued to talk while they ate. After they were done, Sidney suggested a movie. Karen agreed and they got in the car and drove the short distance to the new movie theater that had just opened up. They decided on The Dark Night and Sidney paid for the tickets and they went in. Karen went to the bathroom while Sidney went to get their seats. Since the movie had been out for awhile, their wasn't many people there. The fact it was Labor day could have had something to do with it to. Karen walked into the theater and looked for Sidney. She smiled when she saw him a the very top row and shook her head as she walked up to him.

"Um, why are we so far up?"

Sidney put his arm around her "more private the better."

"Are we really going to watch the movie?"

"Most of it" Sidney whispered in her ear.

The rest of the people came in and the previews started...so did Sidney. Karen felt his hot breath on her neck and soon his lips were there as well. Karen leaned into his mouth, biting her lip so her moans didn't come out. Sidney's lips trailed up to her chin and Karen turned her head so her lips met his. The kiss lasted for a few minutes before Karen heard the start of the movie and broke away. The arms of the chairs moved and Sidney moved it up so he could pull Karen closer to him as they watched the movie. When the movie ended, Sidney took her hand in his and they made their way out.

Before Karen realized it, they were back at Maggie's and Sidney would be telling her goodbye. They stood on the porch in an embrace as their lips once again found each other. Sidney didn't rush the kiss but he knew Karen needed to get some sleep for work tomorrow.

"I better go so you can get to bed" Sidney said breaking the kiss.

"Yeah, I know. You sure you can't stay for a 4 hour nap and head up when I leave at 3a?"

"You know I'd love to, it's just easier if I head up now."

Karen picked up on how it was strange he didn't want to stay. Usually he would jump at the chance. She played it off and kissed him "I love you and I'm glad your back."

"I love you too baby. I'll call you when I get back in a couple of days."

"Ok. Have fun."

"I'll try." He kissed her again and then started to walk off the porch "night baby."

"Night stud." Karen watched him leave but still couldn't shake the feeling something was going on that he wasn't telling her. She finally went inside and got ready for bed.

A couple days have past and Karen hadn't heard from Sidney. She was surfing the internet and saw the video about Media Day. She played it and watched as certain players partook in photo shoots. All of the sudden, Sidney popped on the screen and was being interviewed. Karen smiled at how good he looked dressed up and wished she had heard from him. She sent texts and called him but nothing came back. A couple more days past and it was now the 7th. Being Sunday, Karen was watching her NASCAR race and going over some emails when her cell phone rang.

"Hello."

"Hey girl."

"What's up Sheril? Haven't talk to you in a few days."

"I know, been busy getting the kids back to school and into the swing of things. Natalie told me you were finally going to New York for the 11th and both her and Diane has the 10th off. We were hoping the four of us could get together at Pops Tuesday night."

"I like the sound of that."

"I could come up there with you after you're done work on Tuesday and then head home with Nat and Diane on Wednesday morning before you leave."

"Sounds good to me."

"Is Sidney going with you?"

"He's suppose to."

"Something worng?"

"He came back on Labor Day to surprise me but then left again to be a part of Media Day on the 3rd, but I haven't heard from him since he left."

"I'm sure he just got preoccupied."

"Yeah, maybe."

"Alright, I got to go. I'll see you Tuesday about 1p."

"Ok, bye.

They hung up and Karen thought about what she said. But even if Sidney got preoccupied, he still wouldn't ignore her calls or texts. Karen shut down her computer and concentrated more on the race.

Tuesday came and so did 1pm. Sheril met Karen at Cabela's and they headed to her house in Pittsburgh. They still had a couple hours until Diane and Natalie got off work and would meet them. Karen decided to get her shower and get ready. Sheril got on her computer while she did and couldn't believe what she saw. A little bit later, Karen came downstairs and saw Sheril on the computer.

"Anything interesting?"

"Actually there is" Sheril said bringing up the page that showed a picture of Sidney "I at least know where Sidney was on Sunday."

Karen saw the picture open up and there he was "where was this taken?"

"Apparently he went to the US Open with Mario. This was taken Sunday" Sheril said looking to her friend.

"But it still doesn't tell me where he was from the 3rd till the 7th."

"Why don't you call or text him and see if he'll come join us tonight?"

"I did before I got my shower. Haven't heard anything back yet."

"Well there's still time. I'm going to go get ready." Sheril left her and went upstairs. While she was up there, Natalie and Diane pulled up and they all sat around for a little bit until it got a little later to head to Pops. It was nearing 8pm when they were on their way and when Karen drove past Mario's house, she saw Sidney's Range Rover in the driveway. She thought that if this was the end, he would at least tell her. She decided to not think about him and have fun with her friends.

Wednesday morning came and her friends left. Karen was getting her things packed when their was a knock at the door. She answered it to reveal Sidney on the other side.

"Hey" he said a little cautiously.

"Hey yourself."

"Do you have a minute so we could talk?"

"I'm actually getting packed. Are you ready to go?"

"That's what I need to talk to you about. I can't go with you. The Penguins have a few things planned before training camp starts and I need to be here the next couple of days."

"Fine" Karen said then started up the steps.

"I'm obligated to be here when they need me."

"I guess I'm not part of any obligations to you am I? Do you know what this trip was about Sid? It was about spending time with you before the season starts and you get too busy. It was about needing you with me to face a day that scarred me. It was about wanting the person I love to be there with me, for you to be there with me."

"Karen wait. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too. I need to finish packing" Karen turned and walked into her room, slamming the door shut. She leaned up against the door and fell to the floor crying.

Sidney stood there for a minute. He wanted to go upstairs after her but he couldn't seem to make his feet move. He cursed himself for doing this to her, but he had to. Sidney took one last look up the steps before he walked out the door.

Karen took a deep breath and wiped her eyes. She got up and finished packing. A couple hours later, Karen was getting her bag in the car and was headed to the airport. After she got to the airport, she parked her car and got out, going to check in. Karen explained that her travelling partner was able to come and checked her bag. She went through security and took the tram to her gate. As she waited to be called to board, Karen figured out why he did what he did...his dad.

A few minutes later, Karen was boarding the plane and was soon off to New York. She landed after an hour and a half and got a taxi to her hotel room. After she checked in, Karen went to her room and looked around. She pulled back the curtains to see the skyline, but saw what else was missing.

"Of all the luck" she said to herself. The view was not only the skyline missing the World Trade Towers but it showed a perfect shot of Ground Zero. Karen would have given anything to feel Sidney's arms around her right now as the tears welled up in her eyes. She closed the curtains back up again and went to order some room service. This wasn't a sightseeing vacation and now that Sidney wasn't with her, she planned on staying in the hotel room except for going out tomorrow.

Thursday morning September 11th...Karen had gotten up early and got dressed. She made the short walk to Ground Zero and stood on the sidewalk overlooking the site. She wanted to be there at the time when the second plane would have gone into the second tower...the plane that had her parents in it. Karen could see all the people lined up and could hear the names being called of everyone that died that day. She tuned it out and just looked up at the sky, picturing what she saw that day on tv. Karen let the tears fall freely and didn't try to hide the hurt she was feeling.

"Are you going to be ok Miss?" the woman beside her asked.

"Yeah, I will be."

"It's a sad day for everyone."

Karen turned and looked at the woman who was about mid 40s "my parents were on the second plane that hit the second tower. They were coming back from vacation and I never got to say goodbye."

"I'm sorry dear, but that's what today is about to get the chance to say goodbye."

"I know. I've avoided coming here on this day for so long, but something brought me here this year."

"Maybe it was your parents."

"Maybe it was" she said and offered a sad smile to her.

"It'll be ok dear."

"Thanks."

As Karen stood there, she felt her phone go off and she pulled it from her pocket and looked at the caller ID. When she saw Sidney's name appear, she hit the ignore button and put it back. She stayed there for another hour just staring at the site. Her phone had gone off about 6 more times and each time it was Sidney, each time she ignored it. After Karen had gotten back to the hotel, she ordered up some food and gotten her shower. When her food came, she ate while watching tv and just looked at her phone on the nightstand everytime it went off, not making a move to get it. She got done eating and went to stand in front of her window looking at the well-lit site.

"I don't know if you guys can hear me, but I came to see you today. I know you know I always came before or after today, but something had me come on the actual day this year. I've been missing you guys more and more. The longer the years go by, the harder it gets not having you around. My job is going good. I thought my love life was going good but it's taking a turn for the worse and I don't know what to do. You'd be happy dad, I'm dating a Penguin player again. I just don't know what's going on with him. He comes back from the off season and he's changed. I put my heart out on the line and its getting hurt again. I don't know what to do. I wish you could be here to help me through this. After 7 years and I still need my mom and dad. I love you both very much." Karen kissed her fingers and placed them on the window before closing the curtains and crawling into bed. She picked up her cell phone and saw the missed calls and missed texts. There was no voicemails to go through so she read all 13 text messages....all from Sidney.

"Please call me back."

"Baby, I'm sorry."

"Talk to me, I'm worried about you."

The rest were the same and all were apologizing. Truth was, Karen didn't want to hear it, she wanted him there with her...she needed him here with her. She scrolled through the rest of the messages and saw the last one...I love you. Karen put her phone back on the nightstand and turned off the light, crying herself to sleep.

On Friday, Karen left New York and headed back to Pittsburgh and she planned to stay at the house over the weekend. Saturday came and Karen hadn't heard from Sidney, of course she didn't try to get in touch with him either. She was hurt that he didn't go with her to New York when she needed him. Her cell phone rang and Karen answered it when she saw it was Natalie. She told her that she was getting Diane and Sheril and heading up there to cheer her up. Karen tried to protest but she wouldn't hear of it. An hour later, her friends were there and they headed to Pops for some drinks. Karen had text Sidney and told her where she would be if he wanted to join them, but she wasn't about to hold her breath waiting.

1 comment:

Val said...

I so don't like where this is going, but that was a great chapter emotionally re: her parents.

Keep it up, girl!