12.14.2008

Chapter 64

The next day, Karen wasn't sure how to feel. She was confused from the actions Sidney did last night and she wondered when he would figure out what he wanted. Of course the main thing that concerned her was if she was what he would still want. Karen got ready and met up with Nathalie and Mario to go to the game.

The game was good but Ottawa came out on top and they split the weekend. Karen watched Sidney with intent as he played. She loved how his intensity can change with every shift and every period of the game. That was one thing she loved about him and watching him play, he made it seem like nothing could distract his game. After the game, Karen went back to her hotel room to pack and just stay in. Nathalie tried to get her to go out with the guys for their last night in Sweden but she couldn't keep being around Sidney and act like nothing was wrong between them. She stayed in and went to bed early.

After they got back to Pittsburgh, there was a week before their home opener. Karen went to work and tried to forget about what happened in Sweden. Karen hoped that after they got back she would have heard from Sidney. She knew he was getting ready for the home opener, but she still wished he had made up his mind. What she didn't know, was her answer was coming very soon.

Karen was anxious the whole day. She and her friends were going to the home opener and she was still uneasy about seeing Sidney. The girls got to the arena around 4 and there were a good bunch of people already there. They found their spot on the wall overlooking the player’s parking lot. Karen saw Whit wave and yell at her getting looks from the other people around her. She smiled and waved back, yelling a response. After seeing Jordan, Max and then Geno, who blew a kiss towards her direction, Karen looked up and saw Sidney pull in. She closed her eyes and turned her back on the parking lot. She knew he would see Sheril, Diane or Natalie and know the girl wearing his jersey beside them was her, Karen just didn’t think what happened next, would.

“Oh My God! I don’t fucking believe it.” Natalie said with disgust in her voice.

“That asshole, he basically dumps you and look who he picked up.” Sheril said shocked.

Karen had to turn around to see what they were talking about. When she did, her heart shattered in her chest.

“Is that…?” Diane tried to ask hoping her eyes deceived her for her friend’s sake.

Karen could only answer two words “Sophia Jenkins.” She turned back around to hide the tears that wanted to fall, but Sidney caught her expression. Karen had to walk away to get her head cleared with Diane following her to make sure she was ok.

“What happened between you two that he would go out and get that to be around?”

“He broke up with me that night he text me when we were at Pops and I went outside to talk to him. I told you guys he needed time to get the season underway because I didn’t want all the questions about what happened.”

“What did happen?”

“He did what his parents wanted and that was to push me aside so he could concentrate on playing hockey. But what I don’t get is he keeps sending me all these mixed signals. When I went to Sweden with Nathalie, he came to my room to talk and he kissed me but there was nothing about us getting back together. He said he wanted time to figure what he wanted…looks like either he doesn’t know what he wants or he wants that” she said wiping her eyes as the tears fell.

“I don’t believe that is what he really wants Karen. We all can see how much he loves you.”

“Then why is he doing this?”

“I don’t know. Give him the time he needs and hopefully it will turn out the way you want it to.”

“Yeah, I just won’t want to touch him after being with that trouser snake.”

“I don’t blame you one bit.”

They walked around for a few more minutes then made their way back to the others. The doors opened a while later and they went to their seats. Karen stared around the arena wondering where Sophia was sitting. As the players took to the ice, Karen watched them skate around until Sidney came on the ice. As soon as he looked up at her, she engaged Sheril into a conversation so she wouldn’t look at the ice, or him. When warm ups were finished, Natalie told Karen that every time he skated past or was standing still, he was looking up at her. He did the same during the game whenever he had a moment, he would look towards Karen and hope she would look at him. He caught her looking at him but only to turn away when their eyes met.

After the game, Karen and her friends went to Pops for a few drinks. She didn’t expect a few choice players to show up. Karen heard a commotion and looked up to see Max and Whit walking towards her with Pops.

“Excuse me ladies and my best customers, but since we have a packed house, would you mind sharing your huge booth with these fine young men.”

Karen looked at Max and Ryan’s pleading eyes “can’t you just make them sit at the bar? This is our table Pops and you are asking us to share with them?”

“Pretty much. Come on Karen, from what I’ve been told you know these guys well enough to let them join you.”

“Oh alright” Karen said pretending to be mad about sharing but started laughing when Ryan pretended to pout and Max started to fake cry.

The girls moved around to let them in and were later joined by Brooks Orpik and Jordan. Karen’s friends hadn’t met Brooks yet and she did the introductions as she got up for Ryan to slide in.

“Could I have the outside please?”

“I let you share my booth and you take the outside seat away from me. Wow Whit, would you like my first born too?”

“Maybe later after a few shots. Please, it’s easier with my foot.”

“Fine” Karen just laughed and sat back down, scooting over to make room for him to sit. Pops brought over a round of drinks and they all sat there and had fun. Karen felt Ryan drape his arm across her shoulders and sit a little closer to her. She knew he was there, but played it off.

A few minutes later, Sidney walked up with Sophia on his arm “hey guys, mind if we join you?”

“There seems to only be room for one more person not two, sorry” Sheril said hoping he would get the picture.

“I can just sit on your lap Sid” Sophia said in more of a whine as Karen rolled her eyes.

“We can go somewhere else.”

Karen motioned for Ryan to get up “you can stay, I’ll go somewhere else.”

“Karen, don’t leave.” Max said.

“I’m only going to the bar.” She looked at Sophia’s direction and then back at the table “you know I need something a lot stronger to deal with her.”

“What’s the matter Karen, finally realizing that what ever you had, I will eventually get. First it was Rick, now Sidney.”

“I think we need to get this straightened out. First of all, you didn’t take Rick away from me because if you did, we wouldn’t have been together for 4 years. You had nothing to do with why we broke up and was never a factor in our relationship or problems. As for Sid, I am not about to stand here and disrespect him by playing your game because I have more respect for him then you ever will. I mean, that’s what this is, isn’t it? A game to play with others emotions not caring who gets hurt in the process as long as you get what you want. I just hope Sidney actually sees you for what you truly are.” Karen avoided eye contact with Sidney but knew he was looking at her. She walked over to the bar and sat down. A minute later Ryan joined her to talk.

“So what happened between you and Sid?”

“You mean he didn’t say anything to you guys?”

“Just that things needed to slow down between you two and that you guys decided to take a break.”

“I had nothing to do with that decision. That was all his parents and instead of following his heart, he did what they wanted and that was to get rid of me. I just hope they appreciate the one he’s with now.”

“Well, whatever happened, you can tell breaking up with you was not what he wanted.”

“Um, Whit, look at who he’s with and tell me that is not what he would want. Hell, if I were a guy, I’d pick her over me anyday, well the looks and the body part, her personality and moral standards withstanding.”

“Well, I’d rather have you than her and I know Sid is thinking the same thing.”

Karen looked at him and was flattered, but she couldn’t see herself with one of Sid’s friends let alone one of his teammates.

“Ryan…I…”

“Its fine, I was just making a statement to make you feel better about all this. Besides, I don’t think that over there will last too much longer.”

“Why do you say that?”

Ryan looked over at the table “because Sid hasn’t been able to keep his eyes off of you all night. You can tell he’s still in love with you.”

“Then why her? Out of anybody any puck bunny, why her?”

“I don’t know.”

They stayed at the bar for awhile longer. Karen looked over and saw Sophia getting up and then head to the bathroom. She took that as the opportunity to get her friends and head home.

“Hey guys, I am ready to head out.”

“Yeah we are too.”

Karen steps back and the guys let them out so they can leave.

“Hey, can I talk to you for a minute?” Sidney asked Karen. She walked a few feet away from the others and Sidney followed her. “I just wanted to say thank you for what you said.”

“No problem, it’s what she does and I couldn’t do that to you even if you weren’t standing there” Karen said not looking at him then began to walk away.

Sidney grabbed her arm and stopped her, making her look up at him “I never wanted this to happen between us. I do still love you.”

Karen could feel Sidney get closer to her, but she stepped back “if it’s not what you wanted then why are you going along with it?” She never gave him a chance to answer her as she met back up with her friends to leave.

1 comment:

Val said...

okay, love that last line of the whole chapter - why is he going along with it? More soon, please, as usual!